Electro Harmonix EL 34’s

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Samson7, Jan 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samson7

Samson7 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I hadn’t purchased a new matched quad of EL34’s in probably like in 15 years and was using a mix of tubes. I saw the EH EL34’s for $37 for a matched quad. At that price I didn’t have anything to lose. I installed and biased them (39 mV on a 1996 Jolida 302).

They were fine at first but after two weeks or so became very noisy, that rattling metallic sound. It seemed that whenever that happened the bias was out by a little, 1.5 mV or so. I’m curious why tubes slightly out of bias create so much noise. Is this a characteristic of cheap tubes? Tubes sound pretty good right now after 3 months.

2. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Buying cheap tubes from an unknown seller is always a gamble, and not recommended. Buy your tubes from a reputable seller that tests and matches them properly. You'll get years out of a quad, instead of a few months. Drifting bias is not a good sign, especially if you're having to make several adjustments over the first few months.

jeff

chipcalzada likes this.
  3. tumpux

tumpux Well-Known Member

Which one is the reputable tube seller nowadays?

4. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

You purchased a of
    You purchased a quad of EL tubes for $37. Most internet stores I see are charging at least twice that much. That would be a warning sign to me. Those tubes were probably not up to par. You get what you pay for.

warp2600 likes this.
  5. h46e55x

h46e55x What if they believe you?

I am running a quad of EH 6CA7 (EL34 in a short fat bottle) and they have been in my system longer than 3 months and I have zero microphany. Sounds like you were sold some tired or rejected tubes. Upscale Audio has quad EH EL34 for about 80 bucks. They are usually a tiny bit higher than most, but you can be sure to get good tubes.

warp2600 likes this.
  6. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

There are many. I trust Viva Tubes, TubeDepot, The Tube Store, Upscale Audio, and various other sellers.

7. Samson7

Samson7 Forum Resident Thread Starter

8. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

I buy my new tubes from Jim McShane. He’s a primarily a Genelex/Gold Lion dealer amongst others.
    Jim McShane Home Page

9. Bananajack

Bananajack Phorum ... wat Phorum? Where am I?

I am sorry, but uh EH EL34s are pretty rubbish
    If you would know how it looks in that Russian factory
    Might simply be bad quality

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.