The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Stereolove

Stereolove Forum Resident

Very helpful information. Thank you very much.

2. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I agree 101% that they deserve to be well rewarded for their hard work and perseverance. This product has had the most impact on my listening experience of any product I have bought for my sound systems. Ever!. You should also try them on any high quality LP's you own too: MoFi's, Analogue Productions, Tone Poets etc. I originally planned only using it for used LPs I bought and my older records that might have more noise than usual. I left vinyl for CD's within the first year of their introduction because clicks and pops drove me crazy. They took me right out of the listening experience and ruined the magic. I knew where all of the serious clicks and pops were on all of my favorite LPs. Fast forward to today: some of my best pressings may be dead quiet 99.9% of the time, but they can have dust settle on them or one or two pops. For me this is almost worse when it occurs on an otherwise dead quiet record. The first MoFi I played on it I had a couple pops on the lead in groove. I took the SC off BYPASS and listened again-no pops and more importantly zero degradation of the sound. I threw over a dozen of my best sounding pressings at it. Try as I might, I heard no difference except the lack of clicks. I think you could safely leave the SC on for all pressings. Obviously don't just take my word for it. Give it a try and let your ears decide.

Yes I can relate, I sound like I drank the kool-aide too at times. I can respect someone who says the sound is not for them based on actually hearing it in person. But most of the time the loudest critics have never actually heard it. Many of these are people who correctly point out that you are doing an ADC/DAC conversion. But if you can't hear the difference that is all that should matter. In November of 2019 when I first found this thread here I was skeptical-it sounded to good to be true. I returned to read some more about it in December and I found links to Michael Fremmer's reviews and videos on it. This is when I did some more research and decided I must hear this for myself. Best move I ever made. I waited 6 months due to COVID delays, but the wait was well worth it.

DigMyGroove, keiron99 and Stereolove like this.
  3. Stereolove

I’ve quickly run through all my audiophile records this morning - which have more pops and clicks than you would expect - MoFi and Analogue are progressively getting worse, and there is no loss in SQ. I’ve decided just to leave it on at the default setting 5. I’ve waited 12 months, and never been so thrilled with a purchase. I can now spend more time at the secondhand record stores and not be overly stressed about what I have purchased.

Mintsauce and Jim0830 like this.
  4. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I quickly reached the same conclusion, just leave it on 24/7. Set it and forget it. I used to use a setting of 3 but I found that every time there is a firmware upgrade the unit resets to 5. I don't notice a difference other than maybe more clicks and pops removed so after a while I just went with 5. FYI two things to do when you have received a firmware upgrade: Power the unit off via the back panel switch, count to 3 and restart. Plus the unit will be in "Bypass" any time it is restarted, engage the "Remove Clicks" function. I can usually tell that I received a firmware upgrade in the middle of the night because suddenly I am hearing clicks and pops. Bypass is on. You will get to the point where you are so spoiled that a click or pop is surprising and "unheard" of.

Stereolove likes this.
  5. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

You never mentioned what you found was causing your issue with the iPhone disconnecting. I assume it is better because you haven't mentioned it again. I use ethernet and my MacBook Pro, but what you learned may help others using a smartphone and wifi.

Stereolove likes this.
  6. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

I would love an integrated amp with it built in.

Maybe it's something that SweetVinyl themselves coul
    I'm an Android user and the app was always disconnecting. What I did was use the desktop version of the software on my phone - you can easily add it to your homescreen on your device. That was much more reliable. But these days I don't make any adjustments at all. In fact my unit isn't even connected to the internet - it appears there are no more updates to be had for the original SC-1.

Stereolove, Jim0830 and Hogues like this.
  7. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

Is there a comparison chart anywhere that shows all the models and the differences between them?

8. GuildF512

GuildF512 Well-Known Member

SweetVinyl is the official website with information

9. terzinator

yep, understand that, and I've seen this page:

The Sugarcubes

But was hoping to find a chart with an at-a-glance comparison for their different models, much like they do on many other sites. (Apple, to compare phones; or Crutchfield, where you can select multiple components and see them all in a grid on one page.)

10. GuildF512

GuildF512 Well-Known Member

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page it gives comparisons. It took me awhile just now to find it again.

terzinator likes this.
  11. terzinator

ah, not on the sugarcube product page, but there it is at the bottom of the main page. THANK YOU!

[​IMG]

12. Stereolove

Thanks for the tip.

13. Stereolove

The issue was I use my iPhone as a modem, via the Hotspot function. I used a cheap Android phone I have as a spare, set that up as a hotspot, and was then able to set my iPhone as a remote. The only problem is that every time you leave home, you have to pair the phone again when you get home.

14. Stereolove

I also experienced clipping issues, and found the line level setting had defaulted to +6db. I had to place that setting to normal. This may be because my Rega Aria is set at +6db for my cartridge.

15. Stereolove

One other MAJOR thing. I was getting this annoying surface tick pop noise on the left channel when the line level was at +6db. Now that is gone. I nearly got rid of a half dozen records as I thought I couldn’t use the SC to fix them. Thank god I read a lot of forum member’s comments. Thanks to everyone who has pointed out these little issues.

16. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

This probably does explain it as Sweet Vinyl's thoughts on the matter back in September mentioned heavy CPU loading and you were getting clipping....
    It has been a long time since I have heard this problem and it is relatively minor in nature. I noticed it much more on the earlier versions of the firmware, both in the amount of times it occurred and in its severity. The issue does seem to be only on certain albums for me and certain types of music, but a reboot makes it go away. The clicking doesn't seem to be captured on any recordings I have made while the clicking is present. I used reboot the SC-2 Mini and start over and redo my needle drops when it occurred, but I soon found out it wasn't necessary. Thank goodness for that, and the issue rarely occurs now. It has been months for me.

@Stereolove I am glad you got that worked out. That has never happened to me, but something similar happens with recordings. My gain is set to normal and I sometimes get recordings that are noticeably louder or softer in output. Opening the .M4a files in Fission to split the tracks, the waveform is noticeably larger or smaller than normal. This seems to vary from firmware upgrade to firmware upgrade. But that isn't the total explanation. I have recorded multi disk box sets where the levels vary from side to side if I have recorded it over several sessions over several days. I never hear it through the speakers as I am listening. It is only in the digital file that is saved out and it is a simple fix in Fission. Now setting the level is just part of my track splitting ritual and I don't even think about it. Your post about the line level switching to +6db made me think of this. Similar but different things.

Stereolove likes this.
  17. Yellow Rubber Jacket

Yellow Rubber Jacket Forum Resident

Does anyone have experience comparing models with SVNR vs. those without? I’m guessing not since the SVNR is relatively new...anyway, I’ve been thinking about pulling the trigger on the SC1 Mini for quite some time now. I don’t do needle drops so I’m not sure the upgrade to the plus would be worth it for me unless the SVNR is a real game changer.

18. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

As I had mentioned a few posts back Sweet Vinyl is saying SVNR is targeted toward the the type of noise present on the grooves of 78 rpm records or tape hiss present on certain classical recordings. By it's nature it is lossy, you apply too much and you will hear it. If you don't listen to that type of recording the SVNR Sweet Vinyl would probably be a waste of money for you.

Sweet Vinyl would be well served to put sample files on their website showing the same records saved 3 ways:
    1. No Processing
    2. Click and Pop Removal
    3. SVNR

19. Stereolove

Fantastic idea. Allow potential buyers to download the three files for comparison on their own system.

20. Stereolove

Kraftwerk’s Autobahn definitely needs to be dialed down to around 2. The unit doesn’t cope with this album too well.

Ben Adams likes this.
  21. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

I'll likely do this after I take delivery of my SC-2 Plus, though I haven't decided what record to use, yet...

- Kevin

22. terzinator

Hunted through the thread and looks like the user manuals are only located in the software on the unit itself? Any way to get a look at one somewhere? (Seeing manuals ahead of time always helps inform one's purchase!)

23. Dave Mac

Dave Mac Retired Sophisticated Gentleman Of Leisure

Michael Fremer's recent video noting some of his best sounding LPs had me search out the 1971 German T-M-L of "Sticky Fingers" which I found in Belgium through Discogs. Seven weeks later it was in my hot little hands. Supposed to be NM but of course it was more like VG+ with several annoying pops and tics but otherwise it absolutely smoked my Toshiba "ESS" and the 50th Anniv. pressings.

So, I bought a SC-1 Mini many months ago (Go Fund Me first 100) but for a few lame reasons (mostly laziness) I didn't hook it into my system until a few nights ago.

Idiot.

I love the SC-1 Mini. Except for CD I'm old school Analog, '70's Mac, '80's Klipsch, Rega/Shelter, flip phone, no apps, none of that newfangled "smart" crap. Well, my TV is probably smarter than me but then I only change channels and volume. I've now listened to a handful of LPs from my "sell/trade" shelf and that SC-1 Mini is the biggest and best surprise I've heard in almost 50 years of playing with Audio. Playing my new/old "Sticky Fingers" again as I type this and it makes me rethink buying only Mint and NM records. I swear that 50 year old LP sounds brand-freakin'-new and I'm only using setting 3. Fremer's right, I feel like I'm in the studio with the Twins.

Several weeks ago my collet-type record clamp "stuck" to the spindle when I pulled it off and I fumbled and dropped it edge-down on to my Classic 200 Led Zeppelin 1. I mean, it couldn't have been the three pours of some excellent Ryes. Ironically the worst hit were "Dazed and Confused" and "You Shook Me." Tonight I tried the album with Level 3 but the marks are pretty nasty and it took a bump to Level 5 to eliminate the POPS!

I can't praise this unit and SweetVinyl's ingenuity enough.

Dave Mac

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  24. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Absolutely! A while back, Sweet Vinyl were asking for examples of music that caused the clicking and I referred them to this.
    I have dialled down to 3 in the last few weeks and Autobahn no longer triggers it. (And, to be honest, I've not really noticed any increase in pops and clicks generally compared to having it at about 7 which I used to do.)

Stereolove likes this.
  25. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

You weren't taking requests and I don't have a horse in this race where I don't need the SVNR, but I might suggest a couple things.
    • Maybe a decent condition 78RPM record as a control.
    • A 78 that has ticks and pops in addition to groove noise and swish. To see if there is any unwanted interaction between the click and pop removal and the SVNR.
    • A classical 78 with lots of softer passages.
    • An early classical LP with pronounced tape hiss.

ZippyPippy likes this.