The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

It's both rewarding and a bit frustrating, in that it's rather fragmented (for example, I'd like to have more of the "beautiful jam" from 2/18/71, if only for context). Don't miss the Playing in the Band from Laguna Seca on 7/29/88 on disc 4. It features a really violently abstract jam. Bobby was asked at some point later how he felt about being in that and his response was "I felt scared."

2. sami

sami Mono still rules

That's my feeling when listening to it as well. An incredible collection of amazing stuff throughout, and what it does quite often is make you go to a certain show to hear more of something that catches your ear.

ARK, ianuaditis, US Blues and 5 others like this.
  3. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

And nothing from '77.

4. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I get what you're saying. I don't think I've listened to it nearly enough to have a strong opinion. I have to admit from what I've heard I do kinda like the fragmented feel in that it has sort of this home made feel-hence the mixtape comment I made.

sami, notesofachord and Archtop like this.
  5. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Fair point.

I think if I was a major Deadhead when this came out I might be a bit disappointed for reasons you guys have brought up. I just got into the Dead heavily this past year so while I've listened to a lot of stuff the So Many Roads set is just another set that supplements what I have/enjoy. So there was zero anticipation. I havent really even noticed no '77.

6. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

It's a pro for me, not a con lol

ianuaditis, sami, US Blues and 4 others like this.
  7. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

It doesn't need it. '77 is adequately represented elsewhere, IMO.

ARK, ianuaditis, Oliver and 1 other person like this.
  8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i love this release. i'll get to it in april

9. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Oops :laugh:

ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  10. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Meh.

:winkgrin:

11. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

a cool 80's Playin' for sure......the return of the complete arrangement.

I missed the discussion on Hartford 87 as was just wondering if there was any discussion on why the straight SBD tape was not used for 3/26/87.
    Here's how it sounds:
    Grateful Dead May 13- May 19, 2013

p.s. I got a lot of mileage recently out of the 1/24/69 New Potato Caboose (on the Aoxomoxoa (50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition).

12. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

Just revisited Chicago, 6-22-91, and really do love Hornsby this night. He teases all kinds of stuff throughout...and Jer is in fine form, with no blown lyrics in Crazy Fingers! Lol.

13. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

Goooo Sharks!!!

14. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

That perfectly captures how my team played last night. The lack of pre-season games hurts the new line combos and D-man pairings. :p

notesofachord and ianuaditis like this.
  15. US Blues

14 January 1978- Bakersfield.

The second set is short, yet the playing is great, and the song renditions as fine as you'll find in the time-frame.

Yesterday: 13 January 1978- Arlington Theater, Santa Barbara.

This second set is really worth a deep listen, as it features a long jam sequence that includes a "Close Encounters" tease and some very exploratory jamming.

16. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

have a 25 minute drive to the office. Weather Report Suite > Jam courtesy of Dick's Picks 31 did the trick nicely today

17. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

IIRC there's a Half-Step worth hearing on 1/13/78.

ARK, Crispy Rob, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  18. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

19. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

New friend Eddie!

US Blues likes this.
  20. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Yeah, Rob, what high frequencies? lol

21. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

That Rob Bertrando guy sounds like quite the Picky Deadhead. ;)

22. US Blues

I'll add that in the second set Charlie did a masterful job of weaving the SBD together with needed audience recording patches to create a seamless listening experience.

23. Talisman

Talisman Forum Resident

Speaking of '77, I haven't visited that year in a while until last night when I started 3/19/77, got through most of the first set and of course it's great! I got to thinking that I may actually have never listened to this show before! I've spent so much time on May '77 plus the June Winterland shows, Englishtown and the fall run and the classic 12/29 release that I've completely spaced on the three March shows over the years. I did listen to 3/18 once a long time ago bc I think it has one of the most complete Terrapins ever performed. Anyway, 3/18, 3/19 and 3/20 are in the queue!

2020 was a LOT of '76 due to the box set! Looks like we need another box to get us through 2021!

24. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

I have hoped for years they would do a 3rd Winterland box with those three March '77 shows. Maybe someday.

25. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

Originally Passenger from 5/19/77 was supposed to be on the box because it was included on the sampler disc sent out to record stores. Never heard why it was removed, but it was probably for the better since it wouldn't have fit well with the rest of the box IMHO.

Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.