Mailed my last Netflix DVD back today

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Spitfire, Jan 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member Thread Starter

I finally decided to quit the DVD by mail service from Netflix today. They don't stock a lot of current movies anymore plus the turnaround times are way too long. Kind of bummed but that's the way it goes. Surprised they even offer the service anymore to be honest.

2. visolo

visolo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I canceled that DVD/Blu-Ray service when I realized my local library had a ton of movies and you can check them out for free. Obviously, the library is now closed due to the pandemic, so I'm now using online streaming services on my Xbox One.

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

The lack of new movies this year, plus the slow down of the post office, have been a couple big strikes on Netflix's DVD/Blu-ray mail service.

I do like watching physical Blu-ray discs, versus streaming. I do sometimes do the mental math on whether I am paying more or less subscribing to the DVD mail service, versus if I rented the same titles I watch over streaming. With all the streaming services out there, I that's my biggest consideration on which services I get the most value and use out of.

4. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I still use it. I currently have 3 movies at home (Tenet, War with Grandpa, and Unhinged) that I couldn't watch otherwise without a rental fee. But yeah, it's becoming less and less valuable lately.

gillcup likes this.
  5. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

There are a lot of old and foreign films I can't find on netflix, hulu or prime streaming but I am also close to cancelling the mail dvd service. I think they will eliminate it at some point anyway.

gillcup and 905 like this.
  6. Spitfire

One thing I will miss is the extras. Do they offer extras on streaming movies at all?

John B Good likes this.
  7. Juan Matus

I've generally never seen any. Sometimes they have a preview.

8. 905

905 Senior Member

I've had Netflix by mail off and on over the years.
    About a year ago was the last time, the discs simply took too long. And I think the maximum you could have is two at a time.
    I have fond memories of when it was four DVDs at a time, and there was a hub close by.

cwitt1980, GMfan87' and Spitfire like this.
  9. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

"End Of An Era". ;)

dlokazip likes this.
  11. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I still have the disc subscription option, but I'm wondering how long I will keep it. The main issue is the lack of titles I want on Blu-ray. I have been using mostly for TV shows that were created by HBO, Showtime...etc. More and more if they have the series at all, it's on DVD not Blu-ray. Shows like Ray Donovan, Billions, The Deuce had their early seasons on Blu-ray but later seasons were only on DVD. This isn't Netflix's fault as these shows aren't being put out on Blu-ray.

I still have quite a few titles in my queue, but I can see myself cancelling at some point if things don't improve (and I don't expect things to improve as everyone seems to be moving towards streaming, not physical discs).

12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I figured this thread would be about Netflix ending that portion of their service and giving everybody, like, a month to turn theirs back in.

13. I thought this service was already dead and buried.

yesstiles, carrick doone and razerx like this.
  14. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

I was thinking about a Netflix signup, but kept hearing about prices increases. No thanks, I'll get my DVD stock at my friendly local library.

15. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Still use the disc service along with streaming but I find I am revisiting older titles now that there are less new movies being released. Physical discs of course sound better on my audio system than streaming where I use a sound bar attached to the tv.

16. Solaresque

Solaresque Forum Resident

I'm hanging in there with the DVDs. Streaming is full of unwatchable garbage.

j_rocker, quicksrt and 905 like this.
  17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

If you purchase, and watch via iTunes, then yes there are often extras.

I also stopped discs via Netflix (a while back), but find Redbox to be a good alternative for those newer films that take a while to come to streaming.

18. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I'm surprised by the comments that it takes too long to receive the discs. Even with everything going on lately, I always receive mine within a few days. They usually show mine returned the day after I put them in the mail. Maybe I am just lucky to live close to a distribution center or something.

19. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

There are other streaming services other than Netflix. One of the best is The Criterion Channel which has a mix of classic Hollywood, loads of foreign films, both arthouse cinema and an odd collection of horror. Typically extras can be viewed as well. As I've bought their blu-rays I was given a 6 week trial and I'm pretty sure they've gained a subscriber out of it, as their channel has many movies that likely never see physical release.

20. Spitfire

I used to have a center in Tacoma by my house and the turnaround was only a few days. Now the closest one is in in San Jose, California and it was usually about 10 days, assuming they had my next disc available which hasn't always been the case recently.

905 likes this.
  21. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

No experience with streaming, but I do have the sense that it doesn't offer the classic movies or programs I prefer.

905 likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Through December, it was awful.

In normal times, it'd take 2 days for a disc to get to me from New Jersey, but in December, it was a minimum of a week, and more like 9-10 days most of the time,

I think it's getting better now - not back to 2 days, but closer to 3 or 4, at least!

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

What current movies have you wanted to rent and they've not had? I've seen all the new movies I've wanted there!

24. Juan Matus

It depends there are tons of streaming channels - TCM or Criterion might have them.

25. Spitfire

I don't have a list handy but I had a whole bunch saved. Mostly small independent and foreign films.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.