Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Agree. Can’t believe change in labels change them.

Reever and sami like this.
  2. sami

sami Mono still rules

They didn't change labels until after Document, but beginning with Lifes Rich Pageant they changed direction and were clearly shooting for the stars, which I don't fault them for in the least. Their change in direction wasn't my cup of tea, but it sure worked out for them.

budwhite and maui jim like this.
  3. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Neil Young After The Gold Rush. 50th anniversary which is just a reissue with two versions of Wonderin’ added on.

Wearing this as I listen:

[​IMG]

Jim Walker, ARK, budwhite and 12 others like this.
  4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Another album that stood by me during a painful yet stimulating period of my life almost twenty years ago. Thanks, Neil.

Jim Walker, ARK, hyde park and 5 others like this.
  5. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Lots of things changed from 1998 to 2018. The entrenched straight-ahead swing is everything crowd was very very close minded 30 years ago. Hat ART records was considered peripheral by many and the attitude towards “out” music by many in the early days of jazz on line discussion was ignorant in pretty extreme ways. The response to many to what Misha did in his “solo” (he never really solos - he’s a true improvisor) in “Hot House” was mockery. They still don’t have a clue. They somehow couldn’t even understand what Bennink was doing with his *almost* over the top bluster. He swings harder than their “swinghard” heroes but they hadn’t a hope to hear it as their minds were all made up long before 1998. And Paul Smoker? Too fancy, I guess.

And Joe Fonda is as good or better than any of their straight-ahead bass player heroes. He plays this stuff like he owns it. Braxton has always had incredible bassists and he’s one of them.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  6. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Could this album be even more 80s?
    [​IMG]
    Simple Minds, Once Upon A Time

I've been listening to the Deluxe Edition on Snotify.

This album came out after the single "Don't You Forget About Me,"(not sure if they're are parentheses in there). The two musicians who did the music for the movie The Breakfast Club were both Simple Minds fans, and they wrote the song for the band. They approached Simple Minds and they didn't want to do it. Then they asked Bryan Ferry, and he passed, and then they asked Cy Curnin (of the Fixx) to do it and he passed. Jim Kerr of Simple Minds was married to Chrissie Hynde at the time, and she convinced him to record it. They spent three hours in the studio with it, but they still weren't psyched about doing it. And it was their biggest hit in the U.S.

I had mixed feelings about it at the time, because I liked the band, and it was awfully Hollywood commercial-y, but it was a decent tune. When they came out with this album, I considered that course correction. I liked this album at the time, and still do. It's so 80s, though. So 80s.

Next I listened to the Doobie Bros., "The Doctor," Takin' It To The Streets," and "Real Love."

7. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

8. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

From September 1972:

jay.dee, SeeDubs, rockinlazys and 9 others like this.
  9. Archtop

And from July 1978; listen to Irene Schweizer's crazy piano solo from 1:23 - 2:45:

jay.dee, rockinlazys, sami and 8 others like this.
  10. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love the IRS albums, but I think Automatic for the People is their masterpiece.

ARK and maui jim like this.
  11. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Taking a break from The Dead to listen to a really nice playlist on Spotify-The Best of 1970.
    [​IMG]

12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

"Box of Rain" :cop::cop::cop:

ARK, US Blues, Crimson Witch and 2 others like this.
  13. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I like the bass line underneath the solo.

Archtop likes this.
  14. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

:eek: :laugh:

15. Bessie Mae

Bessie Mae Well-Known Member

I'd say that Maiden is Metal's equivalent of the Dead based on longevity, but IM has remained far more physically vibrant, creatively engaged, and performance-crisp than the GOGD could ever have hoped to be in the latter career stages, which - though painful to confess - is due entirely to the selfishness of JG's personal foibles, weaknesses, and volitional choices. My inability to post media at this initial point of membership spares most of you the assault of both sound and iconic juvenalia. Still...
    [​IMG]

bzfgt likes this.
  16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Oh, and don't you feel "Peace Frog" is incomplete without "Blue Sunday"?

17. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Totally. It's like Heartbreaker without Livin' Lovin' Maid.

ARK, Rne, Crimson Witch and 1 other person like this.
  18. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

I wonder how many crimes of passion throughout Man's brutal history have been committed to a soundtrack excerpted from Wagner's Ring opus? This music just feels like it's blood-spattered by demonic furies. Or maybe the psychotic madness you (I?) hear is only mirrored from within. I'll have to contemplate that while I chop up my neighbours to Act 2:Scene 2 from Siegfried and stack them like cordwood on the back 40. Listening to my second favorite incarnation of the 9 partial and full cycles that grace my shelves (ya just cannae beat Furtwangler's '50&'53 performances)...
    [​IMG]

19. Archtop

The Prelude/Introduction to Act III of Tristan und Isolde is one of the best pieces of music ever performed by anyone on any planet. As for the rest, I share Woody Allen's perspective.

rockinlazys, sami, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  20. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

FRANK ZAPPA
    THE HOT RATS SESSIONS
    [​IMG]

Disc 6

Jim Walker, ARK, rockinlazys and 8 others like this.
  21. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Ty Segall
    Pig Man Lives Volume 1

Demos 2007 - 2017
    [​IMG]

Side 3

budwhite, sami, Crimson Witch and 2 others like this.
  22. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Friday Frank (with the Mothers) . . .

“There’s a big dilemma
    About my Big Leg Emma
    She was my steady date
    Until she put on weight” . . .

[​IMG]
    1967/2018 (FZ Official Release #2) Zappa Records ‎– ZR 3835-1

23. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

24. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

55,OOO,OOO WAIT & SEE
    • • Led Zeppelin • •
    [​IMG]

You're Time is Gonna Come
    1968 STUDIO RECORDING ORIGINALLY RELEASED ON THE 1969 ALBUM 'LED ZEPPELIN'

La La instrumental
    1969 STUDIO RECORDING ORIGINALLY RELEASED ON THE 2O14 DELUXE REISSUE OF THE ALBUM 'LED ZEPPELIN ll'

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
    1968 STUDIO RECORDING ORIGINALLY RELEASED ON THE 1969 ALBUM 'LED ZEPPELIN'

Thank You
    RECORDED LIVE 1/4/71 PARIS THEATRE

That's the Way
    RECORDED LIVE 1/4/71 PARIS THEATRE

Bron-Yr-Aur J. Page instrumental
    1969 STUDIO RECORDING ORIGINALLY RELEASED IN 1975 ON THE ALBUM 'PHYSICAL GRAFFITI'

I'm Gonna Crawl
    1978 STUDIO RECORDING ORIGINALLY RELEASED ON THE 1979 ALBUM 'IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR'

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Or "Lost Sailor" without "Saint of Circumstance", though I shouldn't have mentioned that here. It's too late now, my doom is sealed.

Erik B., notesofachord and US Blues like this.