Any Los Angeles-based Record Collectors?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by StevenC, Jan 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur. Thread Starter

Hoping for a recommendation...

I'll be in LA and I know you have to be careful out there right now but I mask up and I distance. I know Amoeba Hollywood is closed but I had this grand plan to escape the in-laws and go to Rockaway in Silver Lake. But, it too is closed.

I'll be around the Burbank/Glendale/Pasadena area.

What I'm hoping for is a place that sells nice condition used records.
    So, while Mono Records is cheap, they're not always in the best shape..

I'm looking for a place where I may find a copy of original Cure record or Pixies record for $50 vs. a place where I'd find a tattered version of "Tango In the Night" for $9.00 if that makes sense? Hoping for somewhere I may find some great stuff vs. records for the sake of buying records...

Any recommendations?

THANKS!

2. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

I believe Record Parlour down the street from Amoeba is open.

3. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Welcome to L.A.!! (soon).

I highly recommend the following:

Freakbeat Records in Sherman Oaks

Atomic Records in Burbank

CD Trader in Tarzana

The Record Parlour in Hollywood

Canterbury Records
    in Pasadena
    *This one's not on par with the others, but if you're there anyway it's worth checking out. The last time I stopped in I got a whole bunch of Record Store Day releases from the previous year that I had been looking for.

I hope you have a fruitful trip, enjoy & BE SAFE!

Ere, Vanzetti, steelydanguy and 5 others like this.
  4. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

As MotorCityDave (RIP) used to say: STAY AWAY FROM MY STORES! :p
    Record Surplus - Santa Monica
    Soundsations - Near LAX
    As mentioned already:
    CD Trader - Tarzana
    Freakbeat - Sherman Oaks
    Record Parlour - Hollywood

Ere, ScramMan2, pdenny and 2 others like this.
  5. StevenC

Thank you so far!

Great lists for me to check out! Leaning toward Atomic and Record Parlour... just based on proximity

latheofheaven likes this.
  6. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I'm not a fan of Record Parlour, the few times I've stopped by their prices were not in line with condition. And there's an old Fremer interview with the owners where someone actually made this comment, politely, and the owners replies were incredibly childish. Atomic in Burbank has long been regarded as one of the best in town and I've gotten a lot of my best stuff there. Rockaway Records is also in that neighborhood you're in and is another favorite. They typically have a lot of great Beatles pressings as well, if you were looking for any.

switchnow, Shawn and Matt Starr like this.
  7. StevenC

thanks for the response. I love Rockaway but one of the reasons I’m asking for recommendations is that Rockaway is closed completely for COVID and won’t re-open until it’s safe again... I’ll try Atomic. Thank you. My fear is going somewhere and it’s largely new re-issues.. so Atomic sounds like a good choice that would have used and new... thanks again

mikeyt likes this.
  8. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

Unfortunately, Atomic is closed for the time being due to COVID:

Atomic Records on Instagram: “We are still temporarily closed for in store shopping, but we are buying your stuff six days a week! #vinyl #burbank #jazz #records…”

They are a great store indeed, sorry you'll miss out. However, Freakbeat in Sherman Oaks has always been great and they ARE still open.

chantfan and mikeyt like this.
  9. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

If you can make it over to Sherman Oaks to visit Freakbeat (my local neighborhood shop and fave spot overall), Mendocino Farms is a fantastic place to get lunch. I recommend the Peruvian steak sandwich or Avocado Quinoa salad (I like to add steak sometimes but it's great by itself).

Tjazz, zphage, mackat and 1 other person like this.
  10. Matt Starr

Freakbeat is my favorite too and Bob is the nicest record store owner I've ever met. I wonder if we've met over there but never knew who each other was, haha. Also +1 on Mendocino Farms!

chantfan, Shawn and mikeyt like this.
  11. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Bob's the best. He once gave me one of their big sale discounts when I was shopping there the night before the sale started, after I told him I didn't want to wait b/c it'd likely be gone by the time I could pop in. It was only a few bucks, but I really appreciated it.

mur, DigMyGroove and Matt Starr like this.
  12. StevenC

Looks like Freakbeat will be the place and I'll try your recommended sandwich!

DigMyGroove and mikeyt like this.
  13. chantfan

chantfan Well-Known Member

I agree with all the notes above about LA record stores. Can't wait for Amoeba to reopen. In the meantime, here is my take:
    - Freakbeat - Overall a really cool record store. Good for new and used vinyl and good for used CDs (and a decent Bluray selection). Spend over $100 and get a 10% discount!
    - CD Trader - best for used CDs (per the name) and Vinyl Also a great selection of new and used vinyl. Really great prices on used CDs and using their stamp card can save some $$. Plus, easy parking. GREAT Bluray/DVD selection
    - Atomic - I live in Burbank so I visit Atomic a lot. Looking forward to it reopening Great for used Vinyl and CDs (virtually no new vinyl or CDs). Great prices. Fun to chat with the owners who know their stuff. Great Bluray selection as well.
    - Canterbury - my goto for Record Store Day. They are currently not buying used, so not a great used selection currently but good new selection. Prices for Blue Note Tone Poets, etc, tend to be lower than most stores.

Here's a recommendation for taking a little road trip to Ventura, CA. Three good, and very different, record stores pretty near each other:
    - Salzers - Fairly large record store with lots of new and used CDs and Vinyl Good RSD selection. Also lots of t-shirts and peripherals. Good prices generally.
    - Jockomo Records - I really like this small record store. Very cool owner. A bit disorganizecd, but I've bought a lot of used jazz there. A great small shop to browse around and find unique records.
    -Grady's Records - I've only shopped there once and don't really have a feel for the personality of this store, but I did buy a couple new records there.

14. chantfan

chantfan Well-Known Member

Also, if you find yourself in Long Beach, Fingerprints is a great record store. Attached to a coffee shop and great selection. Maybe not the best prices, but great selection and a very well run store.

Matt Starr likes this.
  15. Matt Starr

Man, this thread makes me miss record shopping, period. Also reminds me how great we have it in SoCal. Nowhere better, in my opinion and I’ve been to record stores everywhere in the world (except Japan!). Not trying to brag, just grateful and COVID has made me realize not to take it for granted

Vanzetti, DigMyGroove and mikeyt like this.
  16. StevenC

yes, except Japan.
    BUT... I can assure you that outside of Shibuya/Tokyo, Los Angeles is the very best.

New York used to be good. BUT, Turntable Lab is largely new and re-issues.
    Rough Trade is largely new and re-issues.
    A1 is crammed.
    Academy is good but not as good as many places in LA.
    Human Head is, again, good but not like places in LA.
    The only real gem, to me, is Stranded and Stranded in actually from Oakland...
    So, you can go to the Oakland one.

In Chicago, 2 decent places. Seattle, maybe 3 decent places but not as good as LA.

One thing I find extremely stupid, though, is people downplaying Amoeba. You can love Fingerprints and Freak Beat and still love Amoeba.
    The trick is, you have to know how to shop Amoeba (New Arrivals and back wall before hitting the A-Z section). This applies to the San Francisco store.
    People downplaying Amoeba reminds me of fake indie hipsters who would whine about Tower. Who wouldn't kill for a Tower as an option with a vinyl section like they had in 1986?

Anyway, Rockaway is a gem and like nowhere else. They get tons of promos from the labels, too. Port of Sound in Costa Mesa is cool, too...
    Freak Beat was cool. I bought some really great stuff... to me, at least, based on this recommendation...

But I have to be honest, when Amoeba Hollywood announces their grand re-opening, I'm flying down and I'll be waiting in a football stance waiting for the store to open...

17. Matt Starr

Yeah agreed, Amoeba Hollywood was always great IMO. Don’t know why people bag on it so much.

For me, Japan would be interesting but I wouldn’t buy much, as Japanese pressings don’t interest me. (Yes, I know there are all kinds of records there not just Japanese pressings).

My favorite experiences outside of North America were in the UK. Those are the pressings I can’t get enough of.

The thing about LA is that I have found countless great pressings from everywhere and on top of that, it’s an industry town so promos are all over the place and that’s something you don’t find anywhere else except maybe NYC and not to the same degree.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    mikeyt likes this.
  18. StevenC

I was watching a YouTube video where this guy was going record store to record store in Shibuya... And I was looking at grails on the wall. I watched like "Holy sh* t", there's "Midnite Vultures"! "An original version of His N' Hers, wow"

In London, there are a few places I love but they're small, right? Sister Ray... and those places had no originals that I was looking for, etc. I actually found great stuff from a guy with a table on Portobello Road in Notting Hill Gate.. there was one other gem that felt secret.. like Audio and Video Exchange or CD Exchange? Something like that...

19. Matt Starr

Yeah, London was actually my least favorite, at least on my most recent trip -tends to be very overpriced but I had a lot of luck in some of the other cities like Manchester, Bristol, Brighton etc.

20. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Can you imagine Amoeba's opening and every dealer in town rushing over to the new arrivals. 3 deep. First line across loots. The Greater Orange County Record Show is the best time but their internet site is "Disabled" their last Facebook page was June.....imagine being from out of the country reading that mess. In L.A. you have to spend way too much time pushing away the overpriced, non Discogs/eBay clunkers.

21. Matt Starr

Valid points. That’s why I always developed relationships with the smaller stores. When the owners / staff know what you’re looking for and they like you as a person, they sometimes set things aside for you before they even hit the floor.

22. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

I like Record Surplus because of huge amount of albums I've never seen before by comedians, singers that put stuff out to sell at their club shows, strange orchestra stuff, great covers. Takes forever but it sure is fun and the owner Neil is a nice guy. "The Attic" has turned into a cellar, but; we had fun at the real on on Pico for years

23. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Were you able to stop by Mendocino Farms as well?

24. StevenC

I wasn't because I had a window of time and due to Covid, I waited an hour to get into FreakBeat...

FreakBeat was cool for finding things you didn't know you were looking for. Example: I had a list and didn't really find the things on my list... But, I found an original UK version of The Jam's "Sound Affects" in Near mint shape with a bonus 7". I found a McCartney album from Japan with the OBI and in great shape. I found a lot of UK original 7" 45s with great picture sleeves... stuff like that.. then when he rang me up, he said "I'm going to give you 10% off"... so that part made it worth the long wait...

There was a Smiths 7" "Stop Me" hanging on the wall. It was $70 I think. I didn't get it, though, because I've been sadly buying things I didn't remember that I have :) Awful feeling paying $70 for something, taking it home and seeing you have it already and probably cannot make your $70 back.

mikeyt likes this.
  25. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

An hour to get into Freak Beat? I'm not visiting L.A. soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.