Recommendations- Building a Benny Goodman Collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ponso1966, Mar 2, 2019.

1. ella_swings

ella_swings Forum Resident

That's the problem. I can't hear any clarinet. It sounds like trombone, trumpet + rhythm section and, of course, a Big Tea vocal. I can even hear the rhythm guitar, which is often hard to hear on 78s recorded at that time. No clarinet that my ears could detect.It also could very well be that Goodman recorded on "Its tight like that" and "Four or Five Times" and simply sat out "Makin' Friends". Those three tracks were recorded in the same session. But it would point to an error in Connor's discography were that the case as the track clearly was released. That set is still widely available and was part of Columbia's Hot Jazz series so wasn't obscure.

Edit: Goodman is definitely on "It's Tight Like That" and "Four or Five Times" from the same session. My good friend Sunbeam 114 is clear.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  2. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

And I have numerous songs from the 2/18/29 session on my Jack Teagarden LP set and Goodman is listed there, as well. Maybe Benny stepped out for a smoke.

3. misterjones

Having just bought the two Permanent Goodman CDs at the top ($5 for the pair), I now need just one of the Different Version volumes. (I also still need one of the Camel Caravan CDs.)

Paul Dray likes this.
  4. ella_swings

Here's the complete list of CDs of Camel Caravan broadcasts from Dave's book:
    (p.159)
    Collector's Choice CCM 392
    (p.181-183)
    Imperfect I-C01
    Imperfect I-Co4
    Imperfect I-C09
    Imperfect I-C14
    (p.195)
    Jazz Hour 1025
    Jazz Hour 1038
    (p. 222-223)
    Phontastic 8817
    Phontastic 8818
    Phontastic 8819
    (p. 228-229)
    Phontastic 8843/44
    Phontastic 8845/46

The five Phontastics seem to be the most comprehensive of the sets on CD, but on comparison with the Camel Caravan logs in the subsequent section of the book, they don't look to be "complete".

This was next on my list of "collections", but COVID hit and international shipping is atrocious. I'm finding ample supply in northern Europe... for $25-40 for just shipping!!!

5. ella_swings

All five of the "Different Goodman" CDs are currently listed on Discogs. Vol III and V are not cheap but are there.

6. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

For vinyl, hit the $1 bins. You'll find many nice editions of Benny Goodman records. Columbia really squeezed the sponge dry on the Carnegie Hall Concert. You'll see every version under the sun. Box set, single LPs divided up into volumes, 45 rpm box sets, 78 rpm sets, 10 inch editions, highlights, you name it....its all over the place I have this and quite happy Benny Goodman - The Famous 1938 Carnegie Hall Jazz Concert

7. misterjones

The problem with Discogs is that there often are many interesting items for sale (not just Goodman) but with insane shipping costs. No way it costs $25 to ship a single CD from the UK.

I've got plenty of time to wait. Four out of five Different Version sets - eight CDs - is a lot of alternate takes! I think if one has the Mosaic set, one really doesn't need all of those alternates. It certainly would be nice to have a complete set, but I can't say I'm dying to hear those extra CDs.

Do the three Phontastic CDs (8817-19) constitute all of the Camel Caravan shows? I have volumes one and three. I haven't even listened to volume three yet. I cannot say I find the CDs thrilling, but they're an interesting diversion.

8. misterjones

Not around here. Finding decent vinyl outside of easy listening and beat up classical LPs is VERY hit and miss. And typically LPs go for $2 and $3.

9. ella_swings

Same here on shipping. It used to be US $4-5 now $25-30 due to COVID. It probably does cost that much at the moment since there are so few flights between Europe and the US and surface mail has been severely disrupted. I'll just wait until shipping returns to normal.

No.

I see three single discs and two double disc sets in Dave's book:
    Phontastic 8817 (1939)
    Phontastic 8818 (1939)
    Phontastic 8819 (1939)
    Phontastic 8843/44 (1937/38)
    Phontastic 8845/46 (1938/39)
    And I don't think that these five sets contain all Camel Caravan shows. I'd have to compare his log of shows to the tracks on the discs.

I can't find 8843-8846 anywhere, even Discogs. I have every show via online download but the quality of the transcription isn't all that great, but I do like the quality of the music itself. My downloaded files sound like needle drops from poor quality bootlegs.

I highly recommend Dave [Jessup]'s book Benny Goodman: A Supplemental Discography if you're into CD collecting for Goodman. It is as essential as Connor's Listen to His Legacy. With those two, you can corner about 98% of Goodman's work on 78, LP, and CD. Connor's Wrappin' it Up gives you almost the other 2%.

10. misterjones

Thanks. No overlap among the Phontastics, I assume. I thought the three 1939 CDs was the end of it. I didn't really focus on the dates.

So, I guess the ones that have this type of cover are the other two double-CDs. Though isn't this one 8841-42?

[​IMG]

11. misterjones

By the way, how's the sound and performance quality on the "Golden Era" CDs as compared to 8817-19? I'm not a big fan of radio schtick, and 8817 and 8819 have about as much as I can take. Johnny Mercer's pseudo hippness can be overbearing at times.

12. ella_swings

Yes. you're correct. Those are the 8841-46 sets (one red, one yellow, one purple). I was looking for a different cover and missed those.

13. ella_swings

I don't have the Golden Era CD, but somewhere on this mongo thread someone said the Phontastics have the best sound.

14. misterjones

Then there's is a total of nine Camel Caravan CDs from Phontastics - 3 doubles and 3 singles - covering 1937-1939. Any reason to believe there are more Camel Caravan shows than that?

15. ella_swings

I have a review of air checks later in my review in installment 5 (Installment 2 coming soon-btw). I'll add that to the review and compare the tracks to Dave's logs.

16. LeeP

LeeP Forum Resident

Happy 83rd anniversay of the Carnegie Hall Concert. I pulled this from Facebook and thought you guys might like. As I said Jon Hancock has remastered the concert for Sony (who is sitting on it) and used various sources. So, to quote him "Here is my version of Sing3 that you might enjoy (Courtesy of George Avakian.)"
    Sing3 Jon Hancock October 2016.

misterjones likes this.
  17. misterjones

I bought this recently, but I have yet to receive it. I don't think it is redundant with other "live" 1940s material I have.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. LeeP

LeeP Forum Resident

On Cd, in regard to complete Camel Caravans, the 2/7/39 and 2/14/39 Camel Caravan's are on Sandy Hook SH 2102. And, the 1/18/38 Camel Caravan is on Jazz Unlimted JU 201 2087. There are few more complete 1939 Camel Caravan's on lps. Of course, most broadcasts tracks from 1937-1939 are from Camel Caravan's (e.g., Concerts #2 and the MGM series, and various other releases on Cd and lp. I definetly 2nd the recommendation of Jessup's book.

And, I said the Phontastic cds have the best sound for the Caravan's. The Sept. 38 ones were release on lps on the SoundCraft label.

19. ella_swings

Wow! This is a real treat. Not as harshly muted at the high end as other sets, but not headache inducing like the Schaap set. I would dearly love to get his version. Thanks for passing this along. I dumped Facebook years ago. Loren and the guys refer to the Benny Goodman fan club Facebook page in episode 20, which just dropped yesterday, and I wish there were a way to access it without an account.

20. ella_swings

Ah, yes thanks for jogging my memory. We need an index for this thread - it has become so long - 41 pages!

21. LeeP

LeeP Forum Resident

Yes, I think we would all love to get Hancock's version! Some cool things pop up on the Facebook site. Loren is the group's host.

22. LeeP

LeeP Forum Resident

Well, I stand corrected about the Jazz Unlimited Camel Caravan. It's missing the last number, "Dear Old Southland." And, it's wild that I just found out by listening to Episode 20 of the Complete Big Band Session discussion. Loren ends the program with that tune and gives the date. And, I must say it's an amazing version of "Dear Old Southland" and a rarity indeed to be so long and jamming during a radio show.

23. ella_swings

I love the part where Fletcher explains his arrangement of Blue Skies. I haven't listened to the Caravans thoroughly. I guess I'll have to wait until I can get those Phontastics.

24. LeeP

LeeP Forum Resident

Yes, it’s cool. And, it is from the 9/13/38 Caravan on the cd set 8843/8844 and the Soundcraft lps. I particularly like “Yam” which is on this set and 8845/46, some crazy Bub Freeman and Tough. They never recorded it.

ella_swings likes this.
  25. ella_swings

While we're on the topic of air checks, does anyone know if the "Let's Dance" transcriptions on Sunbird LPs 100, 104, 105, and 150 were ever released on CD anywhere other than Circle CD (CCD-50)? The Circle CD has much better SQ but only has 23 tracks. I thought I had asked this earlier in the thread but can't find it. Thanks in advance.