Muzishare X7 - an affordable hand-wired KT88 integrated made at the Line Magnetic factory

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Dec 10, 2020.

1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

Give the amp (and/or the tubes) a week to bed in, and let us know what you think!

MedozK likes this.
  2. 10gauge

10gauge Active Member

Well, I just ordered more CV181 TII and a quartet of KT88-TiI tubes with burn-in, and top 10% option from Grant Fidelity. They’re substantially more. I’ll let you know...

3. Vinylistener

Vinylistener Well-Known Member

Would like to know how it performs with heavier music like metal & hard rock. Usualy tubes are good for jazz, accoustic, easy listen. My collection is mostly on a heavy side-)

4. Nicode70

Nicode70 Overspending completist

He saw on the dhl website that due to the pandemic, delays could be as high as 3 weeks. I did not want to be responsible for speakers that sat on an unknown wear house, under unknown conditions. Can’t really argue with that.

5. action pact

Yes, that is a good point.

6. action pact

I'll put it this way... it doesn't sound slow and thick, it actually has some nice dynamics and quickness. It does a terrific job of resolving thick textures, ie: distorted guitars.

Or course, a lot depends on which tubes you use.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Gizmo90 and Vinylistener like this.
  7. action pact

The Gold Lion rectifier arrived today. The difference vs. the OEM Sovtek is not subtle, with improvements in every area - resolution, imaging vividness, midrange lushness, etc. etc. All of the usual audiophile stuff is in abundance.

Of particular note, bass is fuller but very controlled, and snare hits have a much more dynamic crack. For about $50, it's a very worthwhile upgrade.

So, to recap, the tube complement right now is Gold Lion KT88's, Gold Lion 5AR4, Sylvania 12AU7's, and a '58 RCA long plate 12AX7.

In the next day or two I'll be receiving a pair of RCA clear top 12AU7's, and we'll see how they compare to the Sylvanias.

8. action pact

The RCA clear top 12AU7's arrived and had a listening session with them last night. I found that they were a little brighter and not quite as lush as the Sylvanias, but still very nice. (I found an old thread where Steve also commented on their brightness.)

I bet in a thick, warm-voiced vintage amp, the RCA's would be just the ticket, but I think I prefer the Sylvanias in the Muzishare.

9. action pact

LOL, I'd like to retract the above. I reinstalled the RCA clear tops this morning and have been listening all day with them. I think I was confusing greater clarity with 'brightness.' :laugh:

MedozK likes this.
  10. glrydays

glrydays Active Member

So glad I came upon this thread. I too have the Muzishare X7 and love it. I swapped the 12ax7 for a 1965) PHILIPS AMPEREX branded ELECTROHOME Organ Grade production - and the 12AU7 with 1967) RCA Clear Top (Hammond is printed on them)
    I loved the stock tubes but The differences are noticeable - silky smooth and wider stage with better separation. For anyone considering - just buy it- it is on sale now.

I have not changed the stock Kt-88's mostly because they are expensive and I am not sure the sonic improvement it worth the investment? Thoughts?

Based on the OP - I just ordered a new rectifier (The Tube Store Branded) www.thetubestore.com - Your online source for audio vacuum tubes.

I did try the phono stage - it is not too shabby but I got a good deal on a used Musical Fidelity LX2 LPS - it is an improvement in many respects. Musical Fidelity | LX2-LPS Phono Stage

From what I read the 12ax7 makes the biggest difference so I may be looking to try something else just for fun. I am anxious to see what the new rectifier will do and will report back here.

action pact and 33na3rd like this.
  11. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

Ok, I’m really considering buying a muzishare x7, rather than the solid state amps I’ve been looking at. Does anyone know if my Q Acoustics 3050 floors would be a good match for a tube amp of this kind?

12. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

13. trd

trd Forum Resident

based on the published specs of 92db efficient and 6 ohm I’d say, yes. Whether you like the sound or not, who’s to say? But even a 30w el34 based amp would drive those speakers. A kt-88 based amp like the x7 should be a good match.

33na3rd and knob twirler like this.
  14. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

Bumping this to ask those who’ve already pulled the trigger on the x-7: how is the onboard phono stage compared to the preamp you have? Also, I’ve mostly (classic or retro sounding) rock music in my collection and I’ve heard tube amps aren’t always good for harder music. How does this amp respond?

15. action pact

I'm going to plug into the phono stage right now... I typically use a Rega MM Fono. Stand by!

As for how it performs with rock music, it is NOT inherently a slow or lush sounding amp. If anything, it is more energetic than the Rega Brio-R I was using before it.

16. action pact

My speakers are 88dB efficient and I never turn the volume past 9 o'clock. You'll be fine.

trd likes this.
  17. action pact

I'm listening now to the phono stage with one of those recent Kevin Gary-mastered Blue Note 'Tone Poet' LPs...

It's better than I expected. In fact, it's quite good!
    :righton:

18. action pact

Regarding tubes...

IME, replacing the 12AX7 makes the most immediate improvement, followed in order by the 12AU7's, rectifier and KT88's. The stock KT88s are not bad, but the Muzishare-branded 12AX7 and 12AU7's sound noticeably forward/bright/dry.

I am now using a '58 long black plate RCA 12AX7, two RCA clear-top 12AU7's, and Gold Lion 5AR4 and KT88's.

Tigertimtim likes this.
  19. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

trd likes this.
  20. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

John Landreth and timind like this.
  21. Nicode70

Nicode70 Overspending completist

Also the X7 seems to be better value for the money.
    It has a headphone jack and the most important, VU metters. Believe me, it’s mesmerizing.

22. glrydays

glrydays Active Member

23. glrydays

glrydays Active Member

24. glrydays

glrydays Active Member

I find the clear top RCA clear-top 12AU7's a bit bright - I am looking for another option....

25. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

they always do when they haven't burned in yet. try amperex or rebranded amperex.