SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Interesting. It was reported that the Chess masters were generally burnt to a crisp in that ****ing fire, but they also mentioned that a substantial number of master tapes (in general, not for Chess specifically) survived simply because they had been licensed out and weren't back in the warehouse when the fire happened. Maybe this was one of them?

astro70 likes this.
  2. FritzL

FritzL Adrift & Dumbfounded

Does anyone have a link or a cd number for the Howlin’ Wolf “Moanin’ In The Moonlight” Remaster Steve did?

ggjjr likes this.
  3. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

It was LP only (unfortunately).

4. FritzL

FritzL Adrift & Dumbfounded

Thanks. I was starting to suspect that...Godfrey Daniel!

5. rblz17

rblz17 Forum Resident

Did you also cut the lacquer here or just master? Any insights you could provide on the mastering?

Did you also master Couldn't Stand The Weather on the Pure Pleasure label?

Thanks.

6. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

Geoff Emerick explained in his book what happened to the multitrack tape on pages 118-119:

“The verse begins, “As we live / a life of ease,” but you don’t actually hear John’s voice until the third and fourth lines. In fact, I had recorded him repeating the first two lines also, but a few days later, Phil McDonald accidentally erased the beginning of them – one of the few times his usually accurate drop-in skills failed him. From his station in the machine room, he got on the intercom and let George and me know of his gaffe while The Beatles were out of earshot. I could hear the distress in his voice and could sympathize – almost every assistant had made a similar mistake at one time or another.”

“John realized the line was gone the next time we played the multitrack – nothing ever got by him – and he wasn’t too happy about it, but rather than pin the blame on Phil, George and I quickly concocted a story about needing the track for one of the overdubs. We all tended to close ranks and protect one another at times like that, and I know that Phil was very relieved that he didn’t have to face John’s wrath.”

The song was fixed digitally by flying in the missing line from the mono master when the stereo remix was done in 1999 for the Yellow Submarine Soundtrack (and later remixed by Giles Martin for "1").

Derek

goer, sunspot42 and BZync like this.
  7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No, that's another Emerick fantasy.

Those Lennon lines are *loud* and clear on the Anthology/Real Love remix. Nothing flown in from the mono mix.

TimeWarper, GMDuss, jmxw and 4 others like this.
  8. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

That's what was reported at the time of the YSS remix. Anyone have Phil McDonald's email? Let's ask him...

Derek

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Reported where?

It also doesn't make sense on its face: no recording was performed on Yellow Submarine between the mono and stereo mixes. The basic track (take 4, and reduction mix take 5) was recorded on 26 May, the "party" overdubs were done on 1 June, a rough mono mix was made on 2 June, the final mono mix was made on 3 June, and the stereo mix was made on 22 June. There wouldn't have been anything for McDonald to poorly drop in.

jmxw and joemarine like this.
  10. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

I think it was in an interview with one of the folks associated with that project, maybe Peter Cobbin or Allan Rouse? It was 21 years ago, so my memory of it is a bit fuzzy. I'll see if I can locate more information.

Derek

11. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist

Hi Steve,

Is there any online place to buy digital versions of your remasters?

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I have NO idea! I doubt it though...

13. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist

A real pitty!

fluffskul likes this.
  14. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Steve, I believe you stated that the original Neil Young CD of Harvest was a flat transfer from the original master. Is there any other Neil Young original CDs that are flat transfer or that you would recommend?

15. Steve Hoffman

ZUMA and two others, sorry, my brain is on Sunday/Off..

C6H12O6 and George P like this.
  16. willied

willied Forum Resident

Hello Steve, do you know a good sounding billie holiday mono vinyl compilation from the 60's.

17. Steve Hoffman

From the 1960s? No.. She wasn't "in" yet. Had to wait until the 70s..

18. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Can’t you buy the CDs online at the usual places?

19. willied

willied Forum Resident

Ok, a good sounding billie holiday mono vinyl compilation from the 70s.

20. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

I think the OP was asking about digital downloads, not compact discs.

21. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

Why don't start your own shop with links to the physical/digital product? You can have a spot for it here on the forums.

22. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Most of it's out of print-
    His links would most likely be to discogs or ebay -second hand market.
    https://www.stevehoffman.tv/discography/index.php

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  23. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Are the old CD's generally preferable over the HDCD remasters?

24. Steve Hoffman

For me, yes. I have every one.

25. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist

Exactly