What are your go-to headphones?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Penny24, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm still relatively new (since 2020) to the audiophile world, but these are my current go-to headphones.

Dynamic Driver: Sennheiser 6xx

IEM: FiiO FA7

Planar Magnetic : Hifiman Sundara

Also, I'm currently using a JDS Atom stack. Idk if I'll ever need to upgrade but once I cross over the 1k mark is when I'll consider it.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  2. Bananajack

Bananajack Phorum ... wat Phorum? Where am I?

Wow, so many - I only have one head

ESS Labs 452H Two Way headphone with Heil AMT Tweeter
    And a humble Schiit Magni 3+
    Fed by a Quad CD67 CD Player

cjc, WapatoWolf, billnunan and 2 others like this.
  3. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Modded Grado SR-325 with custom maple cups and Beautiful Sounds headband/pads for main rig, Grado HF-2 with Beautiful Sounds headband/pads for second rig. Closed cans AT MSR-7 with Brainwavz pads for computer rig.

BrentB and mikeyt like this.
  4. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Grado SR60e

gingerly, Ste_S, malco49 and 6 others like this.
  5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Behringher HPM-1000

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Sennheiser HD800.

7. Bananajack

Bananajack Phorum ... wat Phorum? Where am I?

Just raided my storage and found an ancient Telefunken TH (was it TR?) 600 Headphone
    And my old Sony cans which I bought for 40 Socks. But the sound like 20 socks ...

Urgh, the Telefunken has mold on it and I remember it sounded like Campbells soup cans
    I throw it away

Mbe likes this.
  8. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

Currently evaluating after (foolishly) disposing of a set of Grado SR80e phones.

Phones currently in flux:
    - Sennheiser HD 600 (2019 "Avantgarde" - same specs as prev incarnation)
    - Grado RS2e (still breaking in)
    - Sennheiser HD 599 (ivory / brown) [similar overall tonal character to the HD 600s]

Tried and rejected: Grado "The Hemp Headphone" (lovely lower frequencies, decent mid-mids and sound stage; but, glass shatteringly shrill upper mids / lower trebs). The SR80es were wayyyy more enjoyable to listen to, at least for me.

If the RS2es don't stay, then it may be a case of swallowing some wounded pride and plumping for a fresh set of SR80s. Or, explore some new (headphone) horizons.

SBurke and BrentB like this.
  9. I had never heard of the brand before, but one of the places I regularly buy from had a sale on Floyd Rose FR52BK headphones for $42., so I figured it was time to try something new. Sound quality is great and outside noise is virtually cancelled out.

10. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

• Bose QC35II- ANC headphones for doing work around the house like mowing the lawn
    • Bose NC700- ANC headphones for my all-day wireless work at home Microsoft Team calls and streaming movies on my tablet
    • Bose Quiet Comfort Earbuds- wireless ANC buds for one the run listening

Freebird, Billy Infinity and asj_999 like this.
  11. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I don't like using headphones, never have. But I have a pair of Grado SR80e with Sennheiser earcups (which are more comfortable than stock).

12. Coypu

Coypu Forum Resident

beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80.....great sound and very comfortable for extended listening sessions.

SBurke, Anonymously, CDlover and 3 others like this.
  13. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Abyss 1266 Phi TC, ungainly, but divine sounding.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  14. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Probably the Sennheiser HD650 w/ Silver Dragon cables for listening enjoyment, but when I’m editing a needle drop, I reach for my stock AKG K601.

All get jacked into my Auralic Taurus MkII.

jusbe likes this.
  15. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

Focal Utopia

16. Timos

Timos Forum resident

SoundMagic e35 for out and about
    Sennheiser Momentum 2 for the armchair

17. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

Senn 650
    HiFiMan HE 400i when I want all the detail.

I have more in the fleet but those are the constants.

Mindhead1 and SandAndGlass like this.
  18. kBear

kBear Forum Resident

Sennheiser HD600
    Sony MDR-V6
    Koss SP330

still own some Pro4AA's

19. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

Beyerdynamic T90
    (w/Schiit Valhalla).

But I rarely go to them.

20. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

started with hd650, then upgraded to modded hd800 with bass bost via ifi amps, and now im using Focal Utopia.

SBurke, jusbe and ssmith3046 like this.
  21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

There are better cans I suppose, but I keep going back to the ones I've known for decades:

on-air studio and at the compyooter: AKG K-240
    production studio and critical listening: Sony MDR-7506 (with Beyerdynamic ear cushion replacements)(these also work with the MDR-V6's, by the way).

I'm so satisfied landing on these choices so long ago, I may never have the curiosity for a headphone amp, or a $200 set of higher-end cans.

My first headphones, were actually two midrange drivers taken from an old VM console stereo, padded by yellowing foam, and connected via an old coat hanger. And I went directly from that to Koss Pro-4AA's, until college. I've worn Sennheisers that leak around your head and cause studio mic feedback, rugged-but-clunky plastic-cushioned "sportscaster" headsets; one PD even made us walk around with earbuds plugged into walkman-like cassette-radios, so we were never out of touch with the air signal (unless we ventured into half the spots in the building where it cut out!); and I've tried almost every fellow jock's set of headphones, just to see what they were hearing. These days, there's no substitute for the sound you've "grown into". I could find better headphones, but I'll never get better familiarity.

Freon, Robert C and Sneaky Pete like this.
  22. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Currently, I have 4 sets of headphones:
    Beyerdynamic T1 Gen. 2 (since 2018)
    LB-acoustics Mysphere 3.2 (since 2019)
    Neumann NDH20 (since 2020)
    Stax Lambda Nova Signature (since 1995)
    with an AKG K812 on the way - it was too cheap to resist.
    At the moment, the Beyerdynamic gets the most attention. This may change when we move out of our townhouse to a larger house.

SBurke and tumpux like this.
  23. Ro-Go

Ro-Go Forum Resident

Koss. KPHi or PortaPro.

eno789 and Billy Infinity like this.
  24. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Floyd Rose? The company famous for the locking vibrato tailpieces on "super strats" in the '80s?

[​IMG]

stevef, Billy Infinity, WvL and 2 others like this.
  25. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I have a vintage pair of AKG K-340 electrostatic headphones. They are hard to drive high impedance cans. I drive them with a Darkvoice Tube Headphone amp. I switched the tubes that came with it to some NOS tubes. Its a poor man’s Stax alternative. It’s a nice combo revealing without being harsh, but I rarely listen to headphones. I like the sound of speakers.

For everyday play, on the go, I have a nice pair of KEF M-400s that are collapsible. They have a mic in line so you can use them to talk on the phone too. They are not totally honest but they are fun. I got them on sale and they exceeded my expectations. At the price I paid I love them, but if I paid full price I would just be satisfied not overjoyed.

I don’t want to lug around $200+ headphones in all kinds of weather. They can get lost or stolen it seems wasteful to me. Why use nice headphones to listen to compromised compressed music files in noisy distracting environments like the subway?

SBurke likes this.