Listenin' To Country Music & Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ando here, Mar 5, 2019.

1. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

RSteven likes this.
  3. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Country legend Ray Lynam performing a duet with Tammy Wynette

'Til A Tear Becomes A Rose'

Record Rotator likes this.
  4. melstapler

Sweethearts of the Rodeo are a long-running sister country duo which originated in Los Angeles. Kristine Arnold and Janis Oliver recorded 12 singles and 4 albums for Columbia between 1986 and 1991 and have remained active. Janis appeared in the 1994 film "Maverick" with James Garner, Jodie Foster and Mel Gibson and was previously married to Vince Gill. The couple had a daughter named Jenny and later divorced in 1997. Today, Sweethearts of the Rodeo continue to record and perform, sounding incredible.

[​IMG]

MYQ1 likes this.
  5. MikaelaArsenault

6. melstapler

Mikaela, this is incredibly sad news. Hugh X. Lewis was an excellent singer and songwriter and his big budget recordings were of a high quality. We were fortunate because Hugh remained active in music and was very accessible to fans even in the final years of his long life. RIP Hugh, we'll never forget you.

From 1965, here is Hugh in a clip from the motion picture "40 Acre Feud," which also starred Loretta Lynn, Ray Price, Skeeter Davis and George Jones.

7. MikaelaArsenault

8. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

9. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

10. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Somehow missed out on James Hand while he was alive. Charley Crockett's upcoming album is a tribute to him, which brought him to my attention.

11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

12. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

I have to say I kinda of dismissed Country until I listened to Jason Isbell & Kacey Musgraves Pageant Material. I'm kinda hooked.

Scopitone likes this.
  13. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

It is about 10 months since I last posted in this thread. I'm not a huge country fan but what I like I like deeply. It looks like I've added 15 albums that I have in the Country Genre since last May. I've added a couple of back catalog things from Chet Atkins & Jerry Reed, Johnny Cash and Guy Clark. The rest are new releases at least new to me from the past couple of years by Lucinda Williams, Sturgill Simpson, Steve Earle, Waylon Payne, Hayes Carll, Darrell Scott, Arlo McKinley Chris Stapleton, Colter Wall and Shelby Lynne.

However a lot of other stuff I have listed under the Rock and Folk genres definitely has a country feel to them. It is still an important part of my music interests and pleasure.

MikeManaic61 and RSteven like this.
  14. melstapler

Definitely some exciting news, Brad. I'll be attending 3 of those shows, perhaps more as the tour hopefully extends. Terry had been hinting at this possibility last year and between the pandemic and other factors, the timing wasn't quite right. A club he was playing (pre-pandemic) on his solo tour initially proposed a one-off reunion with The Ride, but Terry wanted to make it a tour instead. Their previous tour from about 20 years ago was criminally overlooked and didn't have a good response, despite their excellent reunion album on Dualtone with contributions from many of their famous friends such as Brooks & Dunn, etc. I saw Terry when he first started touring as a solo act a few years ago and based on the crowd response, you could tell the fans preferred his classic McBride & The Ride material over the new songs he's written and recorded.

However, it's 2021 and we now have the Prime Country station on SiriusXM which plays McBride & The Ride frequently in addition to new generations of fans who appreciate the 90s country artists. Two of my nephews are excited to see these reunion shows and I bought them tickets because they're big fans and have learned a number of those songs on guitar and bass. The big question is, will this tour inspire an album of new material?

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  15. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Fans of Lucinda Williams, anyone know where to start with her discography?

16. melstapler

The Rolling Stones song 'Paint It Black' as interpreted by 90s country star Tracy Lawrence. Dedicated to our friend @Rick Bartlett because he appreciates Tracy.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  17. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters...

I love Michael Nesmith's song "Propinquity." Here's my favorite rendition, by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band:

18. MikaelaArsenault

19. MikaelaArsenault

20. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

21. Detroit Rock Citizen

22. Detroit Rock Citizen

23. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

jbg, melstapler, Shakin and 3 others like this.
  24. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I have apple music (and often a second service like spotify, because who knows why), so I don't buy a lot of music these days. But I do buy some albums on itunes or amazon mp3 for artists I really like or otherwise want to support.

Here's the "country" tagged stuff I have bought lately:

[​IMG]

It's all complete albums except the Taylor, which is a preorder and only has two songs so far. Also, Morgan Wallen's If I know Me is just the song "Whiskey Glasses".

That Carly Pierce "29" EP is very, very good. Youtuber Grady Smith turned me on to it, and he was right.

Witchy Woman likes this.
  25. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

What software is that?