Shipping damage is now the new normal

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by dkurtis, Mar 19, 2019.

1. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather Thread Starter

I am very impressed with the Music Direct shipments that I have received over the last few months. They really do prioritize packing and have designed some outstanding boxes. I keep them to repurpose on any records that I ship out.

2. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

both our teams are quite embarrassing this season

dkurtis likes this.
  3. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

I have to say, I've been pretty impressed with the two LP orders I've gotten from Deep Discount - both overpacked massively and came through great. I know it seems unlikely from a place with that name, but if you want good shipping of LPs, you might try them.

4. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I've noticed a trend lately from various eBay and Discogs sellers in using bubble wrap instead of cardboard stiffeners when shipping records. Luckily I haven't experienced any damages..,.....yet!

But come on! Do they really think bubble wrap is sufficient? Probably takes more time to neatly wrap the records in bubble wrap than to cut up some cardboard to insert in the package.

Dave and dkurtis like this.
  5. tennesseeborder

tennesseeborder Forum Resident

There was an incident with the USPS where the carrier bent some books while shoving them into my mailbox. I became very angry and launched a war against the USPS. After being patronized by the post master, I decided to make complaints with agencies against the post office and the carrier repeatedly until the post office and carrier finally decided to leave any mail larger than a letter at the post office for me to pic up there. Any USPS office should be able to offer this service. My advice is be persistent.

6. dkurtis

I have noticed that some of the new record box designs have improved the odds during shipping. If you can't improve the way they are handled - improve the box.

fluffskul likes this.
  7. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

What's wrong with expecting what you pay for ? Only a ***** can't pack properly it's not that hard.
    I guess sheep will get what their willing to put up with.
    Just avoid the big guys problem solved because they don't care.
    This attitude though of expectations to receive goods as new as described as outrageous reeks of Beta.

8. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

My luck continues, so far this year I have had ten LPs delivered by amazon uk, all have been well packed, some double boxed (overkill really) all have arrived in pristine perfect condition.

stem and SJP like this.
  9. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

10. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

I had an Eddie Money album I sold just before Christmas for $7 shipped Media Mail.

Customer told me that the vinyl had a crack on it when she opened it. No damage to the outer package. I gave her a prompt refund, and told her not to send back the vinyl.
    Just a few days ago she sent back the split vinyl in a another box with no padding and barely put together to get to me by UPS. So now I am out of the $9 return fee.

I would never have filed a claim on a $7 item. Now I am out of $16 just for being a nice guy.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  11. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

That sucks, sorry Scram. I receive some imperfect new records that are packaged well, so I suspect some of the damage happens before they ship to the customer. Especially corner dents, frustrating for sure.

12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If it was a sale for eBay, you should have been able to tick a box and say the buyer keeps the item and you issue a full refund. In that case if she returns it the cost is on her.

13. kiwibirch

kiwibirch Active Member

I'm about to give up on ordering single records via mail. Got this new Fugazi record surprise in the mail today (6 weeks delivery)
    worst i've seen yet. Ironically it was from "round and flat records" - lol. You can see single record packaging done
    correctly in the photo with the orange fragile sticker on it. This was from a store across town!! for a single LP.

The Fugazi record was in a flimsy single card layer mailer with no fragile markings (not that they probably do much anyway)

[​IMG]

MarkTWIC likes this.
  14. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I got a Rolling Stones Tattoo You flat transfer CD from a seller in Japan. Graded as "Very Good" for both disc and sleeve, but the price was good (relatively speaking) so I took a chance. Arrived well-packed in cardboard and bubblewrap. Sleeve, obis, and inserts look brand new, not a crease or a fingerprint anywhere. I don't believe these mini-LPs were ever sealed, but sometimes I'll get one marked as used and it ends up being untouched. That's what this one was shaping up to be. Nice! Took out the CD and saw this:

[​IMG]

Fortunately the seller gave me a prompt refund (including shipping costs) and didn't ask me to return it. I just don't know how the mini-LP sleeve and paper inserts could remain in perfect shape, yet the disc itself – by far the sturdiest part of the entire package – is broken so cleanly. The no-return-needed refund leads me to believe it happened in shipping, rather than a seller trying to pass off a broken disc for $25. All I know is that I'm disappointed because I really wanted to hear this CD! :(

If there's anybody who despises this album yet still bought the special limited collector's edition mini-LP flat transfer audiophile SHM-CD and wants to trade for something to mount on the wall, let me know! :laugh:

SJP likes this.
  15. kiwibirch

kiwibirch Active Member

Oh No!!! and i was almost considering swapping to CD's for Imported albums becuase they were less likely to be damaged in transit ! :) and definitely a lot cheaper in regards to postage costs.

16. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Fortunately this is the only time I have had a CD damaged to the point of unplayability – a few broken or dinged cases here and there, but never significant damage. I've bought hundreds, probably close to two thousand. This was just a fluke, but man, I really wanted to listen to this!!

It is amusing that the only CD I own that's completely broken is the "super high material" CD made from better quality materials. :rolleyes:

Dave and All Down The Line like this.
  17. dkurtis

I have tried to purchase Boston's first album by Friday Music twice within a month of each other. The first was not delivered and shown as not delivered on the tracking number, and the second arrived in 3 pieces. The post office said that the first was delivered when confronted for insurance. It was interesting that the seller of the one lost in the mail had either the lost one relisted at a higher price or just happened to have a second copy laying around. I'm now just going to wait for Friday Music to release it a third time. They always do.

18. HBIII

HBIII Well-Known Member

Worst packaging by far is amazon who I have stopped ordering anything from. And it is not just records... They put a $150 book in a big box with no packaging inside and one layer of tape on the outside that had ripped opened. So first the book was smashed by flying around in the box and then it half way fell out and got the cover torn to shreds. You would think the worlds largest retailer could pack a box?!

19. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

No, sounds exactly similar to my experience so let's call them consistent.

kiwibirch and HBIII like this.
  20. dkurtis

The world's largest retailer comes down to one person who has an impossible quota to meet.

21. callmeemily

callmeemily New Member

It is rightly said the shipping damage has become a new normal. There is a special protocol for packaging of fragile items for all the logistics companies but some how not being followed in general. I ordered a product form store which reached me a pretty bad condition but luckily I got the replacement.:)

22. Spearca

Spearca Forum Resident

Amazon (US) used to have excellent shipping procedures. I bought hundreds of things in their early years with zero shipping damage. (The one time I received a book in less than perfect condition, it had been damaged in the warehouse, and there was a note of apology packed with it, explaining that it was the only remaining copy in their entire inventory, and I could keep or return as I liked.) But they have clearly switched to a paradigm of speed above care, and just taking back the many returns - if people bother to return, which some apparently do not. It seems that the instant-gratification ethos drives enough business to offset the waste.

23. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

I bought recently from three online sellers, and while I do not expect perfection, I do hold them accountable for the efforts that they put in.

Two boxes arrived in perfect condition, packed well, with no damage to the LPs.

The third was quite obviously packed inadequately:, one edge of the package was blown open and you could see everything that was inside. There were three LPs and a blu-ray set in a box likely only meant for 3-4 LPs, max. There was no cushioning on the blu-ray package, so the corners were banged up from shifting inside while in transit, and all three LP sleeves were smashed in on one side.

This latter instance is clearly lack of competence or care on the part of the seller (thousands of transactions on eBay), and I think they need to compensate. So I messaged them, and they ignored me for four days. So I left them a negative review and I get a message from them within an hour. Go figure. Then they ask me for pictures, which I had included on the first message. Finally they send me their offer... 10% refund.

That is ridiculous. These are no longer as new, or even mint, so they can't sell them as such, and would need to pay shipping both ways for a return. IMO, 25% would be reasonable.

What say you all?

24. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

In fact every USPS office offers this option, and you don't have to be belligerent to get it. You can ask for the form at the office. I did after I had two packages not show at my rural mailbox. USPS said they were delivered and that GPS showed they were, but there is a bank of ~12 mailboxes at the delivery location, so there is nothing saying the postman didn't put them in the wrong mailbox. USPS acted as if this possibility were beyond the realm of possibility. :/

All Down The Line likes this.
  25. mstoelk

mstoelk Well-Known Member

Yeah 10% is ridiculous,. I think you are well within your right to request deeper compensation. Worst case scenario you can open a claim and ship it back, free of charge. Just depends what your end game is.

Now if they oblige to your request to discount further, do you alter your feedback?