2020 News from the Estate of Kevin Gilbert (More Releases and Vinyl coming)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rosskolnikov, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Rosskolnikov

Rosskolnikov Designated Cloud Yeller Thread Starter

Red, BoogieFish, Sean and 7 others like this.
  2. danmartin73

danmartin73 Well-Known Member

YES! I've only recently discovered Kevin's music within the last year, so it is truly exciting to hear and see that both his estate and his fans are so enthusiastic in regards to keeping his legacy alive. Heard some of his work (Toy Matinee and Thud), so can't wait to hear even more! :)

3. Rosskolnikov

Do NOT miss the "Nuts" and "Bolts" compilation albums. Those are close to the Thud sound than to the Shaming of the True sound. Really great songs on those two.

4. Helmuth

Helmuth Forum Resident

I'm surprised this hasn't had a bigger reaction here as I have found this forum is one of the big sources on the internet to fill in background on Kevin's life, work and releases.

Like danmartin above I've discovered KG, Kaviar and Toy Matinee in the last year and I was significantly impressed by almost everything this prodigously talented, complicated and mercurial man turned his hand to.

This might be the best news I've heard in 2020, (theres not much competition honestly) and I would love to build a definitive, last go-around for physical product :shake: collection of the KG output.

Some more unheard material would be terrific, the Nuts and Bolts stuff is staggeringly great quality. But the original albums are gold, repay repeated listens, stay lyrically relevant and, I believe, will stand the test of time. Pretty sure I'll be listening to All Fall Down on my deathbed / The Apocalypse whichever comes first.

sentinel90125, Sean, ytserush and 3 others like this.
  5. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

Fantastic news! I could never get enough of his brilliance.

ytserush and Helmuth like this.
  6. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Looking forward to the Giraffe 3CD Box primarily for that bonus disc.

7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

So glad these will all be more widely available. I remember getting into it with someone online who swore Kevin’s stuff would never be available digitally, but I’m glad whatever issues there were have been sorted out.

Hope Nuts and Bolts are included as well, as someone else said, there’s some essential tracks on those comps.

8. Martykt

Martykt Active Member

I discovered Kevin Gilbert when a friend very kindly gifted me his original 1995 Thud CD as he now had the Vinyl Set (with CDs and Book) and was blown away by the album.

As I recently got my vinyl setup going I thought it was about time to buy a copy of Thud on vinyl.
    So off to discogs I went and lo and behold zero copies available at any price... I should have known.... :cry:

Luckily I discovered Kevin Gilbert Estate's website and to my surprise they have copies of Thud on vinyl which I promptly bought !! :D

The Official Kevin Gilbert Site

Kevin Gilbert

Rosskolnikov likes this.
  9. danmartin73

Have heard some of his other work (like Nuts and Bolts, TSOTT, Giraffe and Kaviar), but yeah, I'm really looking forward to purchasing it in higher quality!

10. Rosskolnikov

Juggsnelson likes this.
  11. danmartin73

Any update on when streaming services will have Kevin's music (besides Thud and Toy Matinee)?

12. piston broke

piston broke Forum Resident

Slightly off topic, but Guy Pratt has got some lovely videos where he plays along to Toy Matinee tunes - he being the bassist on said tunes.

If I wasn't so drunk I'd post a link.:D

13. Rosskolnikov

14. Rosskolnikov

More news on these came today, including probable release date for the vinyl and a 4 CD box set of early, pre-Giraffe material. Really happy to see these.

Kevin Gilbert Official

danmartin73 likes this.
  15. Rosskolnikov

Some interesting background (and audio!) from Kevin Gilbert's high school jazz band teacher. If you're a fan of his music, this is almost essential listenting:

16. Rosskolnikov

And this is really something . . . an interview with Giraffe. Yes, all of them.

17. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Going to try to get to these over the holidays. I'll enjoy digging in to these.

18. iskiv

iskiv Forum Resident

Looks like today...

"Giraffe Box Set is now ON SALE at KevinGilbert.com

**First 50 orders will receive a free vintage Giraffe sticker** "

I hardly buy box sets ever, so I don't know much, but that seems pretty reasonably priced to me.

ytserush and Juggsnelson like this.
  19. Helmuth

Helmuth Forum Resident

I bought mine, got killed on postage costs and Giraffe is my least loved era of KG, are you planning to buy? I just assume, without evidence, that the later material will be a lot more sought after, but given its 2021 and these being bespoke sets , they're unlikely to be cheaper. I've put funds aside and will continue to so so.

Giving a good listen to the Giraffe records again recently, I've come to enjoy them more for what they are very admirable mainstream 80s shiny pop with superb instrumentation. I've listened in conjunction with the recent video podcasts which have filled in some of the biographical information of the early years.

Hopefully there's not a long wait for the cream of the later music to be released. Really I think I'm in for all the sets because it's all material worth owning, revisiting as long as they stay sensibly priced.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  20. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Pink Freud

Ordered! Thanks for the tip! And, yeah, killer deal.

I wish they’d reissue TSOTT...

Juggsnelson and Helmuth like this.
  21. Helmuth

Helmuth Forum Resident

Mine came today! Under a week delivery and I got my bonus sticker, can't complain.

Will dig in to the music / revisit tonight. Now bring on the rest, hoping for a matter of a month(s) for new details of upcoming content rather than 6 months or more.

22. zen

zen Senior Member

My brother received it today.....
    However, he wasn't happy to find the CD's were NOT the 2020 re-masters, like promised. The discs he received say: re-master 2012. He already had those discs.

He is curious if any one here received the wrong discs.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    Juggsnelson likes this.
  23. zen

zen Senior Member

After comparing 2012 and 2020 CD's...they are in fact, remastered. They sound quite nice...but it seems silly they didn't put a 2020 copyright on the CD's.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  24. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Just ordered mine! Thanks for the heads up.

25. Rosskolnikov

Yes. It appears to just be a printing oversight as they started with the template of the 2012 CDs, and someone missed updating that part. John Cuniberti has confirmed that he remastered specifically for 2020, and in the rather nice system in my car, I think I can hear it in a few spots. There's a bit more space around the drums, kind of like the dynamics or at least the EQ was done better.

ytserush and Helmuth like this.