Seam split on new/sealed MFSL 2LP album

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by ScramMan2, Jan 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

GD Mars Hotel MFSL 2-482. December 2019 release.

Album was sealed and shipped in recycled Whiplash mailer with proper cardboard padding.

Buyer says it has a seam split both inside and outside the gatefold cover. About 4 inches long.

Anyone else heard of this being an issue?

I have two other new/sealed copies and both look fine. I'm certainly not going to open the titles and see what's going on.

2. visolo

visolo Well-Known Member

No returns. He opened it, he bought it. Besides, the music is on the disc, not the seam.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2021
  3. ScramMan2

Buyer sent two pictures. Probably damaged in shipping. I'll give him a full refund when he returns it.

It's the right thing to do, falls under 'not as described'.

I was wondering if anyone else has run into problems with this title.

mikeyt likes this.
  4. visolo

visolo Well-Known Member

You sent him a brand new and sealed record. That's what he received. How is that "not as described?"

BrokenByAudio likes this.
  5. ScramMan2

Seam splits are not as described. It was perfect when it left here. eBay has a refund policy for that.

I have a perfect track record on every platform I sell on.

AaronW likes this.
  6. visolo

visolo Well-Known Member

Oh, I didn't know this was an ebay transaction. Well, yeah, if that's the case they usually side with the buyer/scammer. Now I understand why you would refund, you would end up losing the case most likely even if you were not at fault.

7. ScramMan2

Meanwhile back to the OP. Anyone know of any issues with it? I'm going to call Music Direct tomorrow.

8. ScramMan2

I'm going to file a damage claim with the USPS also. It was sent Priority 2 day on my dime.

9. ScramMan2

Claim filed with USPS.

Buyer still wants another copy. He wants me to pull the vinyl out for shipping.

10. visolo

visolo Well-Known Member

No, block him. Get your money back from USPS and move on to other buyers.

glide likes this.
  11. glide

glide Forum Resident

Seam splits happen all the time due to the way MoFi, and other manufacturers, cram the albums, sleeves, and promo liners in.

The buyer is now asking you to open a sealed copy and send that along? What happens if it arrives scratched or there is an issue with the actual pressing. Another return, refund, and PayPal gets to keep their seller fees from you each time.

I would suggest doing what others have said. Block this buyer and move on.

12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

A seam split should not have required opening the record.

Arguably, a record should not be returnable for a seam split AFTER buyer opens it.

But before opening, if it wasn't noted: Absolutely returnable. Not everyone cares, but it's a legit issue if not noted.

All Down The Line likes this.
  13. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

First world problem.

12" 45rpm likes this.
  14. ScramMan2

The final resolution. I submitted a claim with the USPS. It was denied. They wanted to see the original Whiplash mailer which the customer did not return to me. It did not have any external damage. Just seam splits on spine, and on the two Mofi inserts.

I have it for sale 'as is' with the un-played vinyl. Because it is a Mofi title I won't be taking a full loss on it. I have another new/sealed copy and I'm adding a warning that I will not cover returns on seam splits incurred during shipping.

15. visolo

visolo Well-Known Member

So you refunded the buyer and USPS denied the claim? Wow, that's too bad. Just list your stuff with "No Returns" or "Sold AS-IS."

16. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Nice thread crap there.

ScramMan2 likes this.
  17. ScramMan2

I am thinking of re-wording things.

18. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

It's funny, I'm at least as anal as most about the quality of the covers and sleeves I get. And when I buy new I do expect things to be more or less pristine. But a seam split (and they are always quite short when LPs are sealed), especially with a sealed copy from a private seller really gets into wacko territory. You get out a pin and some white glue and, if needed, some safety tape and just fix the seam.

I'm not impressed by people who attach such hand-wringing importance to such minutiae, ESPECIALLY in this day and age.

I mean, really??

12" 45rpm likes this.
  19. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

@ScramMan2, seam splits with 180-200 gram vinyl is a problem for everyone, not just MoFi. I have 4 brand new Phish records in my basement that all have seam splits. It just plain happens, no matter the mailer or the manufacturer.

This is why I fix them. Here's a link to my thread on how to do that. You'll find a lot of pictures: Fixing Seam Splits On Record Jackets

I'm going to do this with the Phish LPs and sell them. I certainly will disclose that they have been fixed, showing through pictures that it was done well, with the result practially invisible.

If you want to take care of your customer, which you obviously do, you're in a pickle here. I would have refunded his money and walked away. I certainly wouldn't have ordered up another copy for him. That's the definition of good money chasing bad.

Refund the guy's money. Fix the jacket. Sell it for what you can. Cut your losses.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    ScramMan2 likes this.
  20. ScramMan2

Thanks for your comments Greg. I did refund and walk.

I have pics of the album before I shipped it, no splits at all. Never had this with any title before, that's why I asked. And I've had Phish albums with no damages, other than a scammer bending corners and wanting it for less. You get those from time to time with Phish and GD albums. Just goes with the territory.

This guy was an honest customer. I just wanted to do what I felt was right.

BrokenByAudio likes this.
  21. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Yet you’ve made the “effort” to say his concern is unimportant to you and by saying it is a “first world problem” you’re suggesting it shouldn’t be a problem for anyone else. I mean, really?

22. visolo

visolo Well-Known Member

Just curious, do you have a picture of what exactly was "split" on the record? Thanks.

23. ScramMan2

Yes I have a pic of both the outside of the spine and inside gatefold. They were submitted to the USPS. Also have pics of the new undamaged album that was sent.

It's all water over the damn for now.

It would be nice if the USPS spelled out everything you are going to need for a refund. I would have insisted the buyer send back the album in the undamaged Whiplash mailer.

What happened was the weight of the album pounded against the spine while it was in-transit. It was shipped Priority Mail so only sat on a plane for a few hours at most. Not in the back of a truck going across the country like most of our beloved Media Mail does.

24. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

Much ado about nothing IMO. Of course seam splits can happen during shipping. Most buyers don't care. Some do. This one does, so just issue the refund.

I would avoid putting "No returns/ As-IS" language in future ads. That will just scare away potential buyer.

25. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

Perhaps the seam split could have been avoided had the mailer been more densely packed. THis way the record won't move around inside the sleeve much.

The seller is responsible for making sure it arrive in same condition it left you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.