What are your go-to headphones?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Penny24, Jan 19, 2021.

1. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

Takstar Pro-82.

[​IMG]

Gibson67 and Soundslave like this.
  2. Mayidunk

Mayidunk Just passin' through...

Beyerdynamic DT880, 600 ohms.

On_the_dunes likes this.
  3. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

I have a few pairs .....i should explain that i suffer from tinitus which means for prolonged spells at times i cannot tolerate listening to headphones at all...although i do use them for listening to some tinitus therapy sounds ...i can't call it music ...but an hour or so does ease things for me ... during these spells i can tolerate music through loudspeakers and indeed it gives me great listening pleasure.

Right onto the headphones

When i can listen well, my best serious listening is with the Stax L300 Ltds which bring out many details that my ears miss with anything else and volume increases simply allow more & more within the music come through without making it too loud, although the SR-Xs (converted to run off pro bias so the same headamp as the L300s) do run them close, for everyday brief or less serious listening it's either the Ethers or NightHawks both give an open & airy sound, if i need isolation then it's the Ultrasone's they are very light but do give a 'closed in sound', the M&D MH40s are my take anywhere phones now, which the Ultrasones used to be.

MrSpeakers Ethers (originals)

[​IMG]

AudioQuest NightHawks

[​IMG]

Stax SR-X
    [​IMG]

Stax L300 Ltd

[​IMG]

Ultrasone Edition 8

[​IMG]

Master & Dynamic MH40 which i can't add as a pic ...

4. FrankieP

FrankieP Forum Resident

God, i can’t even remember when I first got my Sony MDR-7506. Pretty sure it was before my kids were born so probably 1999-2001. Still have it and use it. Just changed the pads every so often. My other go to ( for studio work) is the Focal Spirit Professional.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  5. Mike Rivera

Mike Rivera Senior Member

I have at least five pairs of headphones, but my go-to are my Sennheiser HD 580 and my Grado SR225. I bought both over ten years ago and love them both equally, in different ways ...

The laws of diminishing returns keeps me from buying newer models ... These both sound very nice ...

Crimson Witch, Dred and mozz like this.
  6. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I have the Sennheiser HD600 but to be honest don't use them all that often.

7. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Grado SR225.....…..despite my constant complaining about them :)

LitHum05, mikeyt and sharedon like this.
  8. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

Sennheiser HD800

ssmith3046 likes this.
  9. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

Hi, been reading through this thread because I’m looking for a good (entry level) audiophile headphone to pair with a Marantz PM5005.

Which one would you guys advice me to buy (budget is 200,- max)?

Penny24 likes this.
  10. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

My killer closed backs are the Shure 1540.

ssmith3046 and slovell like this.
  11. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

The Massdrop Sennheiser HD6XX. They will grow with you as the quality of your headphone amps and sources improve.

12. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

The Denon AHD series are outstanding, particularly if you like low end without boom. They are accurate and balanced enough to use for critical listening to augment my JBL monitors when I mix in my home studio. Unfortunately, I think these were discontinued but I highly suggest finding lightly used ones, if you can find them.

I also like my Audio Technical M-50x which fold up nicely for travel and sound excellent for the price point. These also handle the low end in a satisfying manner.

the Beyer Dynamic DT 770 are workhorses in the studio when recording and are very comfortable and stay on your head. They really kick in the low end, and that’s why drummers and bassists love them. They aren’t the most transparent and accurate, but if you crave a lot from the low frequencies, these will deliver without excessive boominess

Speedmaster, slovell and Markymark83 like this.
  13. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

Hifiman HE-560 (open back)
    MrSpeakers Ether Flow C (closed back)
    Shure SE 530 IEMs for on-the-go

Speedmaster likes this.
  14. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

I've read good things about them, but I've never had a chance to hear them.

15. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

I have a ton of headphones, and I do most of my listening with them. Mostly I use one of my electrostatics, bu I use my Koss esp950 the most.

all24bits and ssmith3046 like this.
  16. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

When you no longer need the Stax SRX let me know. Mine are good, but it would be nice to have a second set.

Swann36 likes this.
  17. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

Mine are:

Sony 7506 - I Acquired this headphone last year. I have kept it on my short list for way too long. I love it, neutral and detailed, isolating, but I have been using it only for conference calls lately because I also bought a few months ago...
    ... The Grado 225se - Great headphones, a little hard and bright in the long-run, not for all genre of music, but detailed with a surprisingly wide and deep soundstage giving a great sense of spaciousness, something I did not think was possible with headphones.
    AND the Sennheiser 598 (open back) - smooth, easy and comfortable when I get tired of the other two. Not impressive in terms of texture, dynamics, soundstage and details compared to the other two but easy to wear when I need laid back sound.

I am now looking for a laidback, lush headphone (open back) that also offers texture and detail.

18. concorde01

concorde01 Active Member

Sounds like Audeze LCD-2F should be considered (although I'm selling mine to fund an LCD-3F)

19. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident Thread Starter

why not?

Mister Triscuits likes this.
  20. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Etymotic ER4XR in-ears with their balanced cable into an Earman Sparrow DAC/amp right into my MacBook Pro while working. It sounds remarkably good. My LFD amplifier doesn't have a headphone jack

razerx likes this.
  21. Doc Diego

Doc Diego Forum Resident

Home, an old pair of Sony MDR-V6. Outside, either the Shure se215 or JBL Reflect Flow iems. Budget but enjoyable.

22. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Grado SR125e's are my go to headphones.......well worth the cost imho.

mikeyt likes this.
  23. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

They are really good .... i got them from

Mjölnir-Audio – Home of all things electrostatic

He had uprated to pro-bias and refurbed the plates with film produced to his own specs & added the latest Stax 'silver' cables etc to ensure they would be fit for another 50 years service .... i power them & the L300 Ltds with a Stax 353X energiser.... as Mjolnir's own Head Amps are sadly a little beyond my budget at present, although i have read so many rave about them ...

24. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Birgir Gudjonsson (and Kevin Gilmore) design the amps together, AFAIK. Very competent team and anything they produce should be near bomb proof and be able to push the Stax headphones to the outer limits of what is possible.

Swann36 and tumpux like this.
  25. tumpux

tumpux Well-Known Member

When someone who has post about Stax phones since forever vouch for a builder, it is a sign that their product is worth to have.

Swann36 and John Buchanan like this.