Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

@PhoffiFozz I listened to some of your album on Spotify wow I am impressed! All over the place and the layers of harmonies! Bravo. Sorry to derail the thread.

2. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Hello, fellow Todd/Utopia fan. :tiphat:

joy stinson, utopiarun and PhoffiFozz like this.
  3. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Thank you. It really means a lot because I put a lot of time into it and I never really thought people outside of my circle would hear it.

joy stinson likes this.
  4. joshbrf

joshbrf Forum Resident

Do you think you could PM me those links too? I’ve been looking for something new to listen to coming off of McCartney III and Barry Gibbs’ Greenfields (both of which I loved!) and from what some others have said it sounds like you have a winner! I use iTunes / Apple Music, not sure if you have it up on them :)

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  5. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member

6. Hey... all the good yellow was used for the submarine, you know?

jmxw, Who Cares, Sargon and 1 other person like this.
  7. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Received my orange vinyl. I now have every version of III I ordered except the Japan cd.

8. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

oh ****, there's a special 'gravel' edition

9. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

great tastes.

jmxw likes this.
  10. joy stinson

Folks like you keep harping on fleecing fans, cash grabs, etc..Did you buy any of it? I’ve been a solo fan fifty years and didn’t buy it and haven’t any of the deluxe boxsets, reissued CDs, etc. and have been a loyal fan 50 years. Such releases are only for those who want and can afford them. If you aren’t one of those, and I’m not one, then these and other releases don’t affect you...If those who have bought all of this want to complain, they have a legitimate gripe but you really don’t and I don’t either but I’m not complaining as these items are available for those who like this kind of stuff. I only own one of Macca’s albums of the last twenty years and several of his earlier albums I bought used. I’ve listened to the rest as it’s been posted on YouTube.

OobuJoobu, Cledwyn, madsurfer and 6 others like this.
  11. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

It seems quite simple doesn't it?

Sargon and PhoffiFozz like this.
  12. sadchel

sadchel Forum Resident

Finally received my Red vinyl third man in Canada.

#1515 ss in mint condition

13. A three dot Third Man Yellow and Black just sold for almost $3600 in the UK. Actual sale on eBay
    Damn I’d sell mine for 3k :tiphat:

14. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

My final offer is $2995, which I consider to be a fair and reasonable price. But I refuse to pay an exorbitant $3000.

The ball is in your court... ;)

15. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

So what's the "lowest" the TMR 333 has sold for? At this rate........Is it the most expensive and collectible McCartney record out there? Even pricier than an original "Mono Ram" or a "Put It There" promo 45?

16. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

That is crazy! I'm just going to close my eyes and imagine yellow and black while I listen to my copy!

jmxw, tug_of_war, Mazzy and 1 other person like this.
  17. runofthemill

runofthemill Forum Resident

Same. Maybe. Probably.

18. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Get a yellow copy and a black marker pen and Bob's your uncle!

jmxw, tug_of_war, Mazzy and 1 other person like this.
  19. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  20. calluses

calluses Forum Resident

I understand that it's kind of rare, but geez...I just don't get it; it has hardly any historical significance, it was intentionally kept limited, and it was made from recycled vinyl so I'm not sure how it sounds. Compare this with say the remix 11 pressing of Revolver, Butcher covers, Indian pressing Beatles 78s, or maybe even a Beatles-spec Rickenbacker (even if you don't know how to play), all those things seem cooler and more desirable than the TMR 333 :shrug: Wonder if this value will hold in the long run.

RockyRoll, Bill813, mrjinks and 2 others like this.
  21. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

Great perspective. I am also partial to the old original collectables that weren't created with artificial scarcity in mind by purposely limiting their production. But hey, it's all good!
    My only befuddlement is when these "new" items sell for far more money than the old original collectables.

The cool thing is that those here who were able to buy one at retail don't have to deal with issues surrounding resale prices. For them, it's both undeniably collectable and reasonably priced.
    It's historical significance might be that the black vinyl is supposed to come from original 1970 pressings. Kind of a cool hybrid "Frankenstein" vibe. :yikes: (But I get what you are saying here).

As for the "sound" of the recycled vinyl, that would be a non-issue for me for two reasons: 1. I wouldn't even open it - (I'd buy and play an extra regular copy), and 2., . . . me no have one! :shake:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  22. joy stinson

Yes, I also collected the old original things for thirty years. That fact that some of these are from recycled vinyl is also cool to me. These new things are cool for those who want and can afford them, however. Tell me about these new items selling for more money that the original collectibles.....it’s what happened to my Beatles and solo collection I guess from what I read around 2000. I have a room and a half full of the old Beatles and solo dinosaur stuff, but I enjoyed looking for it and having it. I had a fellow collector sis and then for several years a fellow collector friend.

I always was good at finding stuff, then we’d buy and share and when sis gave me her collection, I just gave the fellow collector tons of doubles from sis’ collection. I don’t know if the old stuff will ever regain its value. In last twenty years when working, I also enjoyed collecting jewelry which rose and fell in value as well. Oh well..I was just a collector but always tried to give a lot of my stuff all along to friends and folks who wanted or needed it, like some expensive jewelry for folks to pawn. I had more than I needed and enjoyed sharing it with others.

Sargon likes this.
  23. calluses

calluses Forum Resident

Haha if I had one I wouldn't open it either. But just imagine explaining it to a lay person,

"And this is my TMR 333 copy of McCartney III"
    "Nice! Is it your favourite McCartney album?"
    "No..."
    "Is it his best album?"
    "No..."
    "Does it sound amazing?"
    "I don't know, I haven't actually played it, but probably not..."
    "Is there a story behind how you acquired it?"
    "I pre-ordered it off a website, as lucky for me, I don't live on the west coast."
    "Oh, so it's not vintage?"
    "No, it came out at the end of 2020."
    "But it's rare?"
    "Yes, they only made 333 in the world."
    "333 of this record?"
    "No, they made like 30,000, but only 333 in this colour!"
    "You mean yellow?"
    "Well, no, they made thousands of those too, but this one's got black dots. And it's made from recycled vinyl from vintage copies of McCartney and McCartney II."
    "Nice! And those records are super rare?"
    "No, they can often be found in dollar bins."
    "And this would be a holy grail item for a Beatles fan?"
    "Well...probably not."
    "Is it your holy grail item?"
    "It is. I knew I always wanted it since October 2020."
    "..."
    "B-b-but it sold for $3000 on eBay once!"
    "Would you pay $3000 for it if you didn't have one and had $3000 to spare?"
    "Probably not."

24. joy stinson

For years as a youngster, I stupidly opened all of my stuff and when in teens wrote my name on it, records, mags, etc., cuz my sis collected also...automatically devaluing it ...but made it mine..LOL.

25. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Finally received my order from MusicVaultz for the red vinyl #6287 so it's the EU not the US TMR pressing. Also got the cassette which looks to be the "smokey" plastic shell version like the one I got from Amazon.

Thought this cassette was supposed to be a "black shell" version. Was that just a prototype photo used on their site? Anyone actually have or seen the "black shell" variant?

Sargon likes this.