Dire Straits Brothers in Arms MOFI 45rpm

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by irwin69, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

It isn’t going to sound so much better that I’m going to get up and flip the record every 2-3 songs. I bought the Peter Gabriel reissues and they’re a pain in the ass.

2. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Just adding to the data. I have a side 2 B2 cut that plays through perfectly. In the #1300 range. I track around 1.6g on my ATN150SA stylus on my VPI Prime table.

Timbo21 and TheVillageRecorder like this.
  3. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

How else can you fit the full 55 minutes of music on vinyl?

You do realize there is no two sided LP version of Brothers In Arms that isn't edited down
    with about 8 minutes cut out. (the 2010 European version is the worst, 10 minutes cut out)
    Just the 3 minutes cut from "Why Worry" makes any single LP version useless.

We're not talking about a 28 minute Bob Dylan record split over 4 sides.
    The 2x45 Brothers in Arms run time is:
    Side One 17:30
    Side Two 11:00
    Side Three 15:30
    Side Four 10:40

Side four is a little short, but it has the full 7:00 unedited 'Brothers in Arms' last track
    and the dynamics are amazing, and it's not squished up against the inner label,
    so no IGD, and this is the best presentation possible on vinyl.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Really ? Because I'm way overweight, yet getting up and down doesn't bother me at all. Outside of being paralyzed, I'll never understand this argument against standing up to turn a record over.

Cassius and Chemguy like this.
  5. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I think the flow of an LP can be interrupted by having the sides be too short.
    Bob Dylan Nashville Skyline goes too far split over 4 sides, the final side is barely 5 minutes.
    It's 10 tracks of 2-3minute songs, runs only 27 minutes total. 2 LP's is silly.

There are some examples where the song connections get broken, like Marvin Gaye "what's going on"
    that had to have tracks fade so you can turn it over. Coltrane "Ole" has one track literally split in half
    to continue on the other side on it's 2x45 reissue. As long as the integrity of the music is intact,
    my preference is for a minimum of 10 minutes of music per side.

Jrr and Myke like this.
  6. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

Touchy, touchy. How was “Brothers in Arms” presented in its original incarnation? As a single LP, if memory serves, expanded for cassette and later CD. I’ll concede your point about “Brothers’” but I stand by my take on the Gabriel sets which were identical in length to their original versions.

7. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Yes, the 1985 vinyl is a single LP, 47:27 and the CD was 55:07.

The recent 2LP reissues restored all the vinyl tracks to their full length as from the original CD.
    For sure avoid the 2010 reissue though, it was cut on a single record at 45:35.

The heaviest edited tracks on the single LP's are
    So Far Away ( 5:12 vs 4:00)
    Money For Nothing ( 8:25 vs 7:00)
    Your Latest Trick (6:33 vs 4:49)
    Why Worry ( 8:31 vs 5:16)

Any album running over 45 minutes is compromised on only two sides.
    In some cases, it makes more sense to press it on just 3 sides, and leave the 4th blank.
    Track order and flow is a consideration. Back the in day some cassettes would have
    their song order altered to match the two sides more closely so there wouldn't be a gap,
    that's not the best solution either. But that's the limitation of some forms of physical media.

I'm not a proponent of stretching out the vinyl to two LP's if it isn't necessary,
    but in this case where a classic album was edited to shorter cuts so it would fit on LP
    is a completely different example. Deserves the proper format. In some cases, drop a track.
    There are some records that have filler, and making it 2 records is unnecessary. Probably
    not a popular opinion, but a realistic one.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  8. Myke

Thank you for enlightening me, I wasn't aware of either of those, and no, I would be annoyed by a break in What's Going On. That work of art always seemed to me like the best example of the digital format's ability to go uninterrupted. That's a Sunday Morning album.

DeRosa likes this.
  9. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

I’ve got the original Robert Ludwig cut on 33 , but the Mofi sounds so good, and with the Dynavector XX2 cartridge I installed a few weeks ago you can really hear the benefits. Quite often I will have the original release and the 45 , so best of both

Also my turntable is next to my sofa, so it’s not bad flipping sides

hi_watt likes this.
  10. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

There is another example in 1989 : Let Love Rule was released on a single LP and CD.
    The LP runs 45 minutes, the CD 55 minutes.
    I'd love to get a 2LP Mofi release of LLR...

11. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I’ve had two copies...I bought another one when I realised it had a skip but they both had the same skip on walk of life. However, the first copy had crackle at the start of the track Brothers in arms. The copy I have now has constant right channel noise on why worry...it’s not terrible, but it’s a little disappointing as it’s probably the worst track it could be on. Have very few issues normally with MFSL pressings.

I would have to pull it out and check what stamper it is.

Timbo21 likes this.
  12. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Looks like they left the last 3 tracks off the original vinyl version of Let Love Rule, it has only 10.
    The recent reissue has restored it to the full 13, over 2 lps.
    Lenny Kravitz - Let Love Rule

[​IMG]

13. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Yes.
    Unfortunately, this 2LP reissue likely comes from digital files...

14. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

I bought the 2 x LP Chris Bellman cut to check out. I thought it was going to be 45rpm, but was 33. It didn't sound as good as my original RL Masterdisk, and nowhere near the Mofi. I sent it back to Amazon since there was a recurring distortion/crackle on side four (I am not ultra finicky about surface noise clicks and crackles, but every bit of vinyl I buy from Amazon UK always has an unacceptable issue and it can take up to several returns before it's acceptable. I wonder if they store them poorly, or maybe that's just modern day pressings when it's not Mofi or Analogue Productions).

I'm not a huge fan of having to turn stuff over more frequently for 45rpm, but if you get an exceptional recording, and you've got the hifi to appreciate it, I think it's worth it for selected titles. I was really impressed with this Brothers in Arms and initially bought it purely so I had the Dire Straits 45rpm set, but I must say it's really breathed new life into this title and I'm enjoying it as a fresh new album.

richbdd01 likes this.
  15. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

I have a better experience with On Every Street 2LP (Bellman cut) reissue.
    I' d love to have it on 45rpm...

16. Myke

No problems whatsoever with my MFSL 2 X 45.

17. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Two copies, same problem, exact same place.

18. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Mine is fine. I did buy my copy at Stereo Unlimited in California about 2 years ago FWIW

19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I have played mine a few times, no problem at all. VPI Prime with Soundsmith cart. I just got my copy from the recent repress so perhaps your’s is from a different batch. You might want to get a refund and get another copy in a few weeks that hopefully would be a few hundred copies away from whatever batch your’s is coming from. For $50 it should have zero issues! Or try another seller that hopefully has a batch no where near your number.

MikeJedi likes this.
  20. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

I had to get 3 replacement discs before I got one that didn't skip. They were telling me it was my setup.

21. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Both mine were from early batches. Seems like maybe they fixed the pressing problem with later ones. Unless everyone experiencing the same problem in the same place all have similarly out of adjustment setups. Amazing coincidence, that.

22. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Lou Reed's New York runs 56 minutes on a single LP... :whistle:

23. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

IMO the original Brothers In Arms should have always been a double LP. It was a crime to edit down those tracks.

24. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

There area many examples of LP's cut in the 80's and early 90's (the CD era) that run about 30 minutes per side.
    But it's just physics that it's very difficult to cut the groove that long to have it physically fit in the space, that's why it's a bad idea.
    The more dynamic the recording, the worse the results.

The volume must be lowered to pack the groove closer together, which makes the noise floor much higher, and since the
    tonearm must pivot further to extend very close to the inner label, the cartridge misalignment creates more distortion.
    It's not a good thing.

But with vinyl sales in rapid decline at the time, expanding long running albums to 2 lp's wasn't a commercial option
    because it would cost more money. Thankfully, the strength of the market for records today means better choices.
    So of course when New York was reissued last year, they recut it on two records.

Lou Reed - New York

AnalogJ likes this.
  25. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

For those who love this album, we should all feel blessed that so many versions exist - from the original single LPs to the doubles. Take your pick based on what suits your needs and music preferences...nobody is forcing you to choose one or the other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.