Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

One from the latest batch of Tone Poet releases; Donald Byrd’s Byrd In Flight — sessions recorded January 17, January 25 and July 10, 1960. A killer record . . .

[​IMG]
    1960/2021 Blue Note ‎– ST-84048
    Blue Note Tone Poet Series – KPG&JH@CA

budwhite, bzfgt, sami and 3 others like this.
  2. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

I love that Lp and I thought the shows I saw from the '78 tour where fun and spirited and the tapes from that tour have done nothing but grown on me over these years...

3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Disc 2 of the deluxe Boys for Pele. Mostly B-sides which are as terrific as the album tracks (except for the "Professional Widow" Trunk Funkin' Mix, of course).

budwhite, ARK and adamos like this.
  4. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Which GD album would you recommend as a starting point for a King Crimson fan?

Archtop likes this.
  5. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Blues For Allah.

adamos, sami and BMac19 like this.
  6. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

well i've gotten tired of looking for a 'best youtube videos' thread to post this in ....

so i'm here to say that i've watched this youtube vid twice now....

and i'm gonna play it again .... very LOUD

lol

notesofachord likes this.
  7. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

:cop::cop::cop:

SJR likes this.
  8. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Rne and SJR like this.
  9. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I suppose it depends mostly on what aspects of Crimson you like the most. First of all, the two bands really sound nothing like one another, but they both utilize improvisation as a means of evolving into a composition. In reality, KC's improvs were somewhat more "predetermined" in that, from a break between pieces, they would intentionally have a "blow" (Fripp's use of the British jazz slang for an improvisational segment) written into the setlist as a vehicle for setting up a song proper. Some of the GD's improvs were also well-established, but there were other times when they would add an unexpected continuity between one song and another by connecting it with an unexpected improv segment. There was also often an hour-long or more segment in Set II or III that was intended to be continuous, with multiple compositions connected by improvised segments (this practice probably was at its peak in 1972-74) . So, blab, blah, blah...rather than suggesting an album, per se (although @SJR's suggestion for Blues for Allah is not a bad one), I'm going to suggest a live segment, which is what this band was all about. Give a listen to the following GD segment and then compare it to The Savage---> Dr. Diamond from 3/30/74 in Mainz. That is available on a Collector's Club CD, the Starless Box and it's also compiled on one of the essential KC sets. Note how Fripp and Cross start Dr. Diamond while Wetton and Bruford are still very much still doing The Savage, so the improv bleeds both forward from The Savage to Dr. Diamond for half the band and backwards from Dr. Diamond to The Savage for the other half of the band.

Something similar is going on here in the transition from China Cat Sunflower to I Know You Rider. Once I Know You Rider starts formally, you realize that the improv segment between the two actually bears far more resemblance to I Know You Rider that it does to China Cat Sunflower (although it is a natural continuation of it) and that they had been bleeding forward the whole time. There are perhaps better examples that I could share, but that would involve throwing you into the void with no life preserver. I wouldn't do that to you without your explicit authorization. ;)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    Rne, bzfgt, adamos and 5 others like this.
  10. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Oh my ....

:cop::cop::cop::cop::cop::cop::cop::cop::cop::cop::cop:

11. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

12. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

[​IMG]

13. sami

sami Mono still rules

IMO, "Width of a Circle", "Station To Station", and "Aladdin Sane" (just the Garson solo alone) are the three greatest things Bowie ever did.

adamos and Oliver like this.
  14. sami

sami Mono still rules

Seconded.

SJR likes this.
  15. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Width of a Circle is probably my favorite Bowie song. So amazing. It still has a little of that hippy trippy psychedelia leftover from the 60s but then you add in the killer 70s rock guitar of Mick Ronson. A masterpiece.

sami and adamos like this.
  16. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Fleetwood Mac English Rose. Rough and bluesy; a nice change-up.

17. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

C’mon man .. you know the thing !!! Rules is rules

SJR likes this.
  18. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Grachan Moncur Some Other Stuff

19. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Terrapin Station

sami likes this.
  20. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

The Original Fleetwood Mac (a compilation of outtakes from ‘67-‘68)

21. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

22. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

A potential new Grateful Dead fan comes in to this thread, asks for recommendations, and you adhere to “rules”. You, sir are the antithesis is the Grateful Dead spirit!

budwhite, sami, Rne and 2 others like this.
  23. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

In light of the Polizei, I started a message with brimuchmuze. Turns out that jazz is his main musical interest and really digs improv. Obviously I linked him to the E'72 China--> Rider here, but after establishing a jazz, improv and King Crimson affection, I unleased the 2/26/77 Help--> Slip--> Frank on him. Hopefully he'll get on the bus. I suspect that he might not be able to help it. :cool:

jay.dee, adamos, sami and 3 others like this.
  24. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Well, if that doesn’t work, nothing will!

Archtop likes this.
  25. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power