Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Just curious, what are the D-V releases that you consider to be poor-sounding?

2. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Off the top of my head a couple of the Guess Who 2 fer's have 1 good sounding album & 1 bad sounding one. I'd have to pull them out and listen to remember what is what.

Plan9 likes this.
  3. If you think this looks impressive, well, yes, you'd be correct. It is... Very nice!

4. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Wasn't trying to show off. This is the only album I've went this far with. SACD, DVD-A, BD, the Mo-Fi, the Box, there's a couple more I could get as well.

5. It's still impressive... I can come close to this on a few Springsteen and Pink Floyd albums, but not quite as many variants. :)

6. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Seems that it may be time to opt in again. :D

7. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Ahhh, I was hoping for that. So that is better. Maybe 4 tracks more.....6. Now we have a 5.1 mix. Not that you can't make a nice surround mix with 8 tracks but more is better. Thicker.

I was hoping the studio had just moved ahead, bit the bullet and purchased a nice MM-1000 16. or maybe the defective MM-1000 24 track. I think 3M and Studer had a 16 track by this point. Some studios went straight from 4 track to 16 tracks in 1969. A few went from 8 to 16. Some went from 8 to 24 track. Problem was most studios purchased their 8 tracks between 1967 - 1968. The expensive of upgrading again just 1 ot 2 years later would not make economical sense. This is why there were so many 8 track records made right up until 1974.

I have a quote from the guy Uncle Jack used to work for in 1967.

".......4 tracks is all any studio needs.
    1 track for the band. Track 2 for the orchestra or strings. Track 3 for vocals and Track 4 is an extra. More than enough.....And if you have no orchestra, horns/strings to record now you have 2 extra tracks. 8 tracks is a silly indulgence...No the studio does not NEED a Ampex 8 track. And less so a Scully 12 track. Complete waste of money......"

Uncle Jack spent most of November 1967 - January 1968 convincing his boss to buy a new 8 track. To no avail. Uncle left that studio in late 1968 to work for RCA. Apparently the guy finally purchased an 8 track in 1971! LOL

8. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Compressed high definition files. What a disappointment.

9. moomoomoomoo

It appears that the entire Universal batch out this week is bricked. I need to check a few more, but everyone I've looked at so far has been DR8-DR9.

sunspot42 likes this.
  10. levimax

levimax Forum Resident

The problem is DR8-9 is not considered "bricked" anymore.... in fact these are more dynamic than most new releases. Rather than "bricked" they are "updated to the new normal"... :(

vivresavie, sunspot42 and TonyCzar like this.
  11. moomoomoomoo

Frighteningly, you're right.

Here's the DR's on the "new" Universals that most interested me (I'm not going to post this many read outs, but I promise they're real).

BTO Debut 9
    Dan Hicks - Where's The Money (all acoustic!) 9
    Joan Baez Gulf Winds 9
    Joan Baez Diamonds & Rust 11 (the only decent one in the bunch)
    Joe Cocker (Self titled 1969) Thank goodness for AF's SACD 9
    The Tubes Self Titled Debut 8
    The Tubes Now 10

vivresavie likes this.
  12. moomoomoomoo

Ironically one to add that's the opposite of bricked:

Grover Washington Jr - Mr Magic DR15

sunspot42, vivresavie, jhm and 2 others like this.
  13. Mickactual

Mickactual Humble indie rock musician

What a shame.
    I had my eye on the two Asia's and the two BTO's.
    Do You happen to know the DR's of the two BTO's (no - I won't hold my breath for high numbers)?

c-eling likes this.
  14. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Pretty sure Alpha was digital. No good reason for them up-sampling it.
    The AF is probably the best we're going to get for that monstrosity of a recording.

john morris likes this.
  15. art

art Senior Member

Anyone heard the new Nazareth Razamanaz in 24/96, Hdtracks? Also Ike & Tina Turner River Deep ... ? There are a bunch of new ones from UME, Humble Pie, Procol Harum, The Tubes, Ohio Players ...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  16. moomoomoomoo

BTO Debut 9
    Dan Hicks - Where's The Money (all acoustic!) 9
    Joan Baez Gulf Winds 9
    Joan Baez Diamonds & Rust 11 (the only decent one in the bunch)
    Joe Cocker (Self titled 1969) Thank goodness for AF's SACD 9
    The Tubes Self Titled Debut 8
    The Tubes Now 10

17. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

The Nazareth 'Razamanaz' has a DR of 6
    (5,6,6,5,5,6,6,5,5)

I shall pass on that.

18. moomoomoomoo

Humble Pie DR7
    Ike & Tina DR7

Already listed The Tubes twice.

The only other decent ones I've seen other than the Grover Washington are
    Joan Baez Diamonds & Rust Dr11
    Pat Travers Live DR10

I missed seeing Procol.

vivresavie likes this.
  19. HDListener

HDListener Forum Resident

On a positive note, two of Neil's albums were made available for the first time in hi res this week, "Are You Passionate" and "Silver and Gold". Both sound wonderful, as pretty much all his archival releases do. It's a shame about the Universal reissues, but considering how they didn't care about safe storage of their master tapes I'm not surprised by the lack of quality on this recent batch they're selling as 'hi res'...

sunspot42 and moomoomoomoo like this.
  20. moomoomoomoo

I'm still waiting for NY to remaster Landing On Water. I bought the 192 on NYA months ago (in fact it's why I subscribed). The Dr is 8. It's awful. The cd is DR13. Neil has admitted there was a screw up, but it's been months & hasn't been fixed.

I will admit that other than LOW, Neil's remastering tends to be excelent.

21. moomoomoomoo

What DR did you get? I'd like to be specific if I write Neil, as we've corresponded several times.

22. HDListener

Sorry, I just deleted my post saying the numbers were good, I was wrong. Was looking at the Are You Passionate DR by accident. Sorry! My LOW is the same as yours...

23. moomoomoomoo

Would you be willing to send Neil a letter to the editor about it? If he hears from more people, maybe something will happen. Again, he agreed a couple months ago after I brought it to his attention that there is a problem

24. HDListener

Yes, I'll send him a note from the archives site right now, that's a good idea.

25. moomoomoomoo