Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I'm a fanatic about speaker/listening seat symmetry but not room symmetry ... :D Actually just to a point, within 1" is fine (+/-0.5", not +/- 1"). I have my handy-dandy remote balance adjustment to do the ultra fine tweaks now. :D

Tim 2 and timind like this.
  2. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Davey let me try to explain this to you another way, it's not difficult to post pictures. You have a virtual system posted on Audiogon. I clicked one of your photos, right clicked and pasted it below it took 5 seconds. As long as the pic is hosted somewhere a quick copy paste is all it takes.

[​IMG]

barfko, Chris81, TheKevster and 23 others like this.
  3. timind

timind phorum rezident

An 8th of an inch is intolerable to me. Am I overdoing it?:help:

4. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

The box of Kleenex?

Jerk The Handle likes this.
  5. Mr.Sign

Mr.Sign Forum Resident

As You might have noticed I do not get every nuance of the american english language ,espacially the abbreviations and sometimes the humor in a posting.
    So would You please tell me what means " FYI " ?

DaveyF and trd like this.
  6. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

I see that you have a blanket thrown over the back of your vinyl covered listening chair. Was this done for comfort or to improve the sound?

The reason I ask is that I discovered a terrible sound reflection while I was on the floor adjusting my subwoofer while my left ear was lined up with the back of my vinyl lined listening chair. It was as if the sound was coming from a speaker. After I placed a blanket over the back of the chair the sound improved 100%. I couldn't believe such a small thing improved my set up that much!

Jerk The Handle and cat9 like this.
  7. izeek

izeek Drums, pulleeez!

im going to have to find that.
    im a beer snot, what about you?
    maybe we should have a weekly listening tipple post.

HankM likes this.
  8. izeek

izeek Drums, pulleeez!

for your information

Mr.Sign likes this.
  9. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

Nice discovery...... yes it's for warmth and comfiness if I choose, not for sound.
    I honestly don't know if there would be any difference between vinyl and leather....but my chair is leather.
    Maybe there is a difference regarding sound.... I'm not sure.

But glad you found an improvement!

britt2001b likes this.
  10. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

Thanks! Try it without the blanket while sitting in your listening chair. I don't think leather has the same reflective properties as vinyl but this would be an easy way to find out. The sound bouncing off the vinyl so close to my ears was apparently damaging the sound without me being aware. It was just by pure accident that I discovered this while tinkering with my sub. I would have paid good money to improve my system to this. I'm such a tight-wad that I'm doubly excited by this. By the way, I really love the chairs. I almost bought one just like yours a while back but as I mentioned....I'm a tight wad.

bever70, Rick58 and cat9 like this.
  11. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

Too funny!
    Ekornes are expensive chairs....and very rarely come available on the used market.
    Long story very short .... rich couple / wife wanted chair / custom ordered / she changed her mind before it even arrived / I was the beneficiary - got it for a steal

12. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

:righton::righton::righton: Sonus Fabers no less.

Looks like two subs not symmetrically placed @timind. lol

timind, heyMo and jonwoody like this.
  13. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

I love me some beer! But I don't consider myself a "beer snot" lol

It's very difficult to find Robinsons Brewery Trooper products in my area. I got lucky with that one.

14. Werner Berghofer

Werner Berghofer Forum Resident

Yes, it caught my eye right away. Or does regular nose blowing help to improve your sound perception? ;-)

Tim 2, jonwoody and cat9 like this.
  15. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

Gotta get the wax outta my ears :D

Werner Berghofer and jonwoody like this.
  16. HankM

HankM Senior Member

I'm always on the lookout for different Maiden beers but have had zero luck in my area. Only Trooper cans or bottles.

17. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

I've updated my room recently by adding Klipsch speakers and moving my Andrew Jones tower speakers to a video projector set-up as the second photo will show. The screen between the book cases is actually a canvas that I purchased from Hobby Lobby which is removed when not watching a movie. I use an older Pioneer VSX D-209 receiver with center channel to drive the Pioneer left/right towers and Sony center speaker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dennis0675, 33na3rd, Kyhl and 25 others like this.
  18. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

You know where the quest to reduce reflections and room modes eventually leads? To a circular, padded room.

19. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

Actually they are symmetrically placed in regards to the mains. I aligned everything with a laser and the subs are in exact alignment with the SF's in relation to their placing. There is a difference in the output of each sub, as they are not in exact the same place in regards to the room boundaries. ( as are almost all subs in this aspect!). Therefore, the arrival time of the sound wave is slightly different one to the other, and this was accounted for. Took me months to get this right, with numerous alterations, but the two subs are now seamless with the mains.

timind, Rick58 and Tim 2 like this.
  20. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

Nope...just use a laser and it makes it pretty easy.

21. Mike Rivera

Mike Rivera Senior Member

I love seeing Gary's work!

Werner Berghofer, cat9 and Tim 2 like this.
  22. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

Thx Mike ... I will let him know.

Tim 2 likes this.
  23. timind

timind phorum rezident

Just a couple weeks ago I bought a laser tape measure. Man, what was I waiting for.

Jerry James and DaveyF like this.
  24. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Koalas, rocks and fiddles...better patent that unique bass trap model. I'd buy a couple.

25. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Magnificent.

(There really oughtta be a thread specifically for the all-time great forum posts).

Jerk The Handle and Rick58 like this.