Record Store Day 2021 - 12 June and July 17 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Dec 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips? Thread Starter

Just been announced on the RSD Facebook page.

2. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips? Thread Starter

3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Cool! Thanks for the reminder! :goodie:

latheofheaven likes this.
  4. dirie

dirie Forum Resident

Let's hope it won't be affected by any kind of pandemic.

TraderMan, jmxw, Greenalishi and 3 others like this.
  5. Here's hoping there are fewer pressing problems this year than the last. No more string of pearls I hope.

bobbradley, Firehead and April Snow like this.
  6. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I can’t believe people still buy into this. I give them credit for managing to continue this grift every year.

Sax-son, Blue Devil, cporcp and 21 others like this.
  7. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

I really dug the multiple days and I bet the stores did well from it. I predict it happening again this year

8. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Pfft, wait for the pandemic to be under control. W**kers.

CHALKERS, Highwaystar, BDC and 3 others like this.
  9. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

What a grift...selling product for money! They ought to be ashamed!!

CWillman, Larry L, Gmsingh and 49 others like this.
  10. Unless the quality of the RSD pressings or the mixes improve and fast, then I concur it will become griftier and snottier. Half the copies I bought last year had egregious things wrong with them. I'll still participate this year, but I will only buy half what I bought last year.

11. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Is it being pushed back to June because of the delay with 2020 RSD?

12. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Hopefully, the half w/o the egregious things wrong with them!

13. Tattooed Headshrinker

Tattooed Headshrinker Accidentally Like A Martyr

Part of me missed the extravagance of normal RSDs, but the other part of me really liked the convenience of not waiting in a long lines in the Florida heat and humidity and being able to split my RSD costs across three months with last years RDS Drops. I definitely ended up spending more money across three months than I would have in a single day.

14. Same thing here.

15. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

I agree. If it is about helping independent record stores then product needs to be available. I ended up purchasing 3 items I wanted on EBay because they just were not available at my local. No product to sell, no $ for the shop

16. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I always played RSD by ear.If I go it is always spontaneous unless there is something I really have to have,wich isn’t often anymore.I remember one of these last “drops” I couldn’t find what I wanted so I got another record to trade for it with somebody later on.Newbury Comics had a good sale a few weeks after.I was able to afford The Grateful Dead Buffalo ‘77 set.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  17. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I wonder which of the former Beatles will release a single this time?

18. KUJayhawk

KUJayhawk Forum Resident

Prior to 2020, vinyl meant buying from Acoustic Sounds, Dusty Groove or Amazon. Last fall I decided to hit a local store I had never visited. I called first to make sure they had the titles I wanted and went to the trouble to get there early. Turns out it was a pretty amazing store, tons of product, new and used. So now it has become my default first choice and part of my Saturday routine. Nothing beats being around other music fans (even mask-wearing and socially distanced) and flipping though a rack of records, just like the old days.

via_atx, Remlap, hifisoup and 26 others like this.
  19. mr. faded glory

mr. faded glory Forum Resident

Love Garden?

20. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

For me the complaints of record store day is typical of todays society. Spoiled entitled people not appreciating simple pleasures in life. I think it is the same reason Christmas just isn't the same anymore. It isn't always about the presents sometimes it is just the atmosphere that is memorable. Like going to watch a losing baseball team year after year, When its gone you miss the event and don't remember the material object.

21. Tattooed Headshrinker

Tattooed Headshrinker Accidentally Like A Martyr

As a Pittsburgh Pirates fan, this statement rings true for me. I moved to Florida and really miss going to PNC Park, even though the team was atrocious most years.

22. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

The reality is that many artists/labels use RSD as a vehicle for releasing desirable material not available in other non-RSD forms.

True, sometimes the pressings have flaws or it’s a worthless retread of something not really worth having, but overall my pressings have actually been pretty good overall and I’d feel regret not having a lot of the things I’ve picked up on RSD by boycotting the event on principle.

23. KUJayhawk

KUJayhawk Forum Resident

Mills Record Company in Westport. Huge selection.

bluejimbop likes this.
  24. mr. faded glory

mr. faded glory Forum Resident

Yep, I was a frequent customer there when they first opened. Just kinda fell outta love with them over time. Nice to speak to a neighbor on here. Cheers.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  25. KUJayhawk

KUJayhawk Forum Resident

Likewise. I do get to Love Garden too, more pre-Covid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.