What stereo gear are you planning to purchase in 2021?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Peter Allison

Peter Allison Forum Resident

I was going to go for the PS 7oo monos, but in the last few days have been looking at Rels and SVS, Either get one good one, or maybe 2, not sure, as have become disillusioned with my BK XXLS 400

2. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

I am SO excited!

Well, at least we are not alone.

No Static likes this.
  3. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

There's nothing to purchase as far as I can tell...everything I want sold out.

4. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

I ordered mine on the 31st - almost a month now. And I didn't ask for anything custom like a HT bypass - just the straight amp in black. Let me know when you get yours, and I'll do the same.

TheIncredibleHoke likes this.
  5. TheIncredibleHoke

I ordered mine on the January 7th. I did ask for no logos on the front panel, but nothing else and in black. You should get yours first, but I’ll let you know when mine comes in. Not sure if it’s going to be shipped to the store in Manhattan I ordered through or straight to my home here.

6. Gary Karczewski

Gary Karczewski Active Member

New TT, Phono stage, Cartridge, record cleaning machine!

Dan Steele and LeeS like this.
  7. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

I’m pretty fiscally conservative so it all depends on this economy.
    Now is more the time to save.

pardon don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade

Telcoman and luckybaer like this.
  8. Harris11235

I kind of wish I did that. I’m a graphic designer by trade, and the logos are off-putting to me. I figured the next owner might want them there if I ever decide to move on. Some electrical tape might be appropriate in the mean time.

It’ll be going into a room that merges an AV system and a HiFi system. I considered asking for a HT bypass instead of the phono preamp, but ultimately decided to buy an ABX switch to send signals from two different amps through the same speaker cable. That way I get to retain the phono, which is supposed to be pretty great, and I don’t sacrifice any AV capability.

Looking forward to breaking it in!! Hopefully yours comes soon.

9. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I got the AT-ART9XI to use while Soundsmith rebuilds my Paua and have been very impressed with it!

mreeter likes this.
  10. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Does this count as gear?
    Gonna be getting this in a few months to put my gear on.

[​IMG]

11. Nicode70

Nicode70 Overspending completist

After several failed attempts, I lucked out on a paire of mate black Atohm GT1 by Devialet.
    The listening poped up right on the day I had some spare time during a business trip in Paris. Just a 30 min car ride. Great price. The seller wanted to unload them quickly. He was a very nice guy with a crazy setup. His new speakers were TAD ME1. He demoed the speakers on a RL copy of ledzep II. Tons of mofi...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  12. Speedycat69

Speedycat69 Springsteen nut

Fac
    Facing that dilemma too lol. Gonna sell my 3 year old rega 3/exact2 then put money towards an rp6 . ( no sure bout the new grey colour tho ) Nearly bought a 2 nd hand one last week but i need to buy a new one lol . Gonna stick with an Exact cart tho .

Dan Steele likes this.
  13. TheIncredibleHoke

SUPER off-putting to me. Mine is going right in the middle of our tiny apartment, so the logos were a nope for me. Really cool that they allow you to do that. You can also use gaffers tape over it. I do that on all of my digital cameras. Can’t stand logos.

I’ve already started drooling over replacement 12AU7 tubes. Kind of cool that we’ll be breaking them in together. I’m eager to hear the headphone amp too.

Harris11235 likes this.
  14. beep

beep Senior Member

Wasn't planning on it but picked up a mint set of Vandersteen 1B's with an unused matching center for $200 a week ago. Going to be setting up a new system in an unused attic room which will be my new man cave so I won't bother my wife.

BD2665 likes this.
  15. rbmitch2

rbmitch2 Forum Resident

Absolutely love my Aries Magnum, great sounding with an ART9

Harris11235 likes this.
  16. Harris11235

Hey now, that's how I pay for gear!

LOL - same.

TheIncredibleHoke and Tone? like this.
  17. Harris11235

I'd love to hear more about your experience with it, and what it replaced.

18. gakerty

gakerty Forum Resident

I'm on a speaker hunt. I love my Tannoy XT8F and they've performed well, but I've likely maxed them out, conversely the XT8Fs may be limiting my other components. Looking to move up the Tannoy line, but I'm also strongly considering Legacy Signature SEs. The specs and reviews are impressive, but I have no way to demo them.

19. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

[​IMG]

We're having a 4 shelf version of one of these (Serious Racks, NZ) made for us here in NZ, with Rimu wood (like a beautiful cherry colour). This example is not ours.

Also looking for a way to get a pair of JBL 4349 speakers into our lives.

[​IMG]

Morbius, displayname, Tlay and 3 others like this.
  20. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Got this a couple of weeks ago, to drive desired JBLs...

[​IMG]

Moving away from tubes for a bit. Not likely to last long but, you know.

Morbius, Clonesteak, mreeter and 2 others like this.
  21. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Nice! I wonder how that bad boy sounds

jusbe likes this.
  22. Harris11235

I’ve always admired those amps and wanted to hear one! Congrats!

MikeJedi and jusbe like this.
  23. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

None whatsover, sadly.

24. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

I think it's good. And I would say that, wouldn't I? But I also think it 'scales up' surprisingly well. And by that I mean I suspect it has reserves of sound quality that are not normally mined by regular system partners it's badge name might suggest. It's sweet and clean and bold and open, but we'll see if I still think that in a while.

The concept of the amp is intriguing and so is the execution. It's quite clever. It's no Jeff Rowland 925 but it uses the same/similar B2B Hypex modules (low gain, no input buffer so the manufacturer has to design their own, in-house) if not the huge Rowland power supplies. The impedance is carefully maintained across the whole frequency spectrum (a problem for some Class D amps) so the timbre doesn't shift or change. And it's bridged, for greater driver control, so two whole amps per channel, four in total with separate power supplies for left and right.

I'll report back when it's broken in and the rest of the system is up and running again (having the Garrard fettled right now).

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    Harris11235, Khorn and MikeJedi like this.
  25. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Maybe your system is good enough....not a bad position to be in my friend:)

The Pinhead, mreeter, Ntotrar and 2 others like this.