Wonder Woman 1984 - June 5/2020

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Cowboys and Aliens was no Oscar contender, but it was about 10x more entertaining than WW1984.

2. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Absolutely love Cowboys And Aliens, WW84 was just okay. WW needs to face Granny Goodness and the Female Furies!

3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

WW84 set a record.

'Wonder Woman 1984' Makes Huge Streaming Debut

WarnerMedia has touted the performance of Wonder Woman 1984on HBO Max, albeit without any hard viewing numbers.

Now Nielsen has put some data behind the claims: The ratings service says the movie racked up huge audiences on its opening weekend, becoming the biggest feature film in Nielsen's rankings — and one of the biggest streaming titles of any kind since Nielsen launched its streaming measurement.

For the week of Dec. 21-27, HBO Max users spent 2.25 billion minutes watching Wonder Woman 1984 (it was released Christmas Day). That's equivalent to about 14.9 million complete plays of the 151-minute movie. It's also 580 million minutes more than Nielsen's previously reported No. 1 for the week. Pixar's Soul on Disney+ (1.67 billion minutes), and the third highest weekly total for any title since Nielsen began releasing weekly streaming numbers in August 2020.

Following the movie's release, HBO Max said nearly half of its retail subscribers had watched the movie on its premiere day.

Nielsen doesn't yet regularly include HBO Max in its weekly rankings, although it does count WarnerMedia as a client. The ratings service says that the release of viewing figures for Wonder Woman 1984 is a one-time-only view "as we work toward introducing the data externally" (there's no timetable for HBO Max to be a regular part of the streaming rankings).

"The impact of Wonder Woman 1984 on HBO Max cannot be understated," said HBO Max executive vp and general manager Andy Forssell. "As was announced on Wednesday during our earnings and as this Nielsen data shows, it was a huge holiday gift to the consumer at a time when they wanted and needed it. This partnership with Warner Bros. of course continues throughout the year but it began with Wonder Woman’s arrival on Christmas Day to great success."

The big Nielsen numbers for Wonder Woman 1984 also track with an audience survey by Hollywood research firm Screen Engine/ASI, which found that the movie had the biggest first week of any SVOD movie in 2020.

HBO Max currently has about 17.2 "activated" users — meaning those who have downloaded the HBO Max app and started or upgraded a subscription. WarnerMedia and parent company AT&T say 37.7 million people have access to the streaming platform, including those who subscribe to HBO through a cable or satellite provider. Netflix, by contrast, has nearly 74 million paid subscribers in the United States and Canada and 203.7 million worldwide; Disney+ had 86.8 million global subscribers as of Dec. 2.

The revised streaming top 10 for Dec. 21-27 is below. Series and movies that are original to their platforms are marked with an asterisk.

1 (nr). Wonder Woman 1984* (HBO Max), 2.25 billion minutes viewed
    2 (nr). Soul* (Disney+), 1.67 billion.
    3 (2). The Office (Netflix), 1.44 billion
    4 (nr). Bridgerton* (Netflix), 1.2 billion
    5 (nr). The Midnight Sky* (Netflix), 1.11 billion
    6 (1). The Mandalorian* (Disney+), 1.02 billion
    7 (nr). How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Netflix), 705 million
    8 (3). The Crown* (Netflix), 700 million
    9 (4). Grey's Anatomy (Netflix), 691 million
    10 (nr). The Christmas Chronicles: Part Two* (Netflix), 660 million

sunspot42 and Shawn like this.
  4. Wow, HBO Max only has 17.2 activated users.

LOL, that’s a pretty substantial typo I hope!

5. Deuce66

:D yeah it's millions

Shawn likes this.
  6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

OMG, that poor .2 of a guy...

[​IMG]

Shawn likes this.
  7. johnsiddique

johnsiddique Forum Resident

it certainly felt like 2.25 billion minutes and we only it watched once.

8. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Don't forget Egg Fu, the sentient egg of Chinese descent!

[​IMG]

agentalbert likes this.
  9. Deuce66

March 30 is the day for the 4K/Blu Ray release.

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Wonder Woman 1984 ( dvd ).
    Very disappointing.
    Best description, chick flick.
    Couldn’t find anything redeemable.
    6/10.

vegafleet likes this.
  11. alexpop

Cameo? :shh:

12. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

Why buy it after you knew it was a turkey?

13. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Doesn’t a 6/10 suggest it has some redeeming qualities? If I saw that rating and nothing else, I’d think: Eh, I’ll take chance and see it. Might be OK.

sunspot42, toddrhodes and Curveboy like this.
  14. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Let us not forget that the trailer for the movie using New Order's Blue Monday was great.

alexpop and Chrome_Head like this.
  15. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

WW84 was an interesting misfire. The story is all over the place. It could have been a lot better.

For me, Gadot and Pine's chemistry makes up for some of the missteps, and Wiig's Cheetah was kind of schlocky fun. Can't rate it higher as a movie than 7/10, though.

16. Veronica Mars

Idmb has it at 5.4 which is being generous.

Shawn and GentleSenator like this.
  17. alexpop

Trailer 8/10
    Film 4/10

18. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

There is no way the movie can be as bad as some of you are making it out to be.
    <one movie watching evening later>
    The movie is as bad as some of you are making it out to be. Maybe worse.

19. alexpop

4/10 ?
    That’s being kind. :)

Anyway please comment when you’ve seen the film. I paid £10.00 DVD. Viewer prerogative!!!!

20. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I would say more like 2/10. I struggle to think of redeeming parts.
    I really liked the first movie.

P.S. I had to explain to my son who that woman in the last (during credits?) scene was.

Veronica Mars likes this.
  21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

lol I've been meaning to see it but the reviews...can't bring myself to pay pay to see it. Might wait till it's on TV.

22. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

The one key ingredient missing from WW84 seems to be Zack Snyder, and he is woefully missed.

WW84 is to the DCEU what X-Men Origins: Wolverine is to the X-universe, something best discarded and forgotten.

23. Veronica Mars

He wasn't woefully missed in the first Wonder Woman movie which was great.

GentleSenator likes this.
  24. alexpop

Story was dumb.
    Gal Gadot still looks hot.

If another WW film is planned she should do a Vs thing with Thor. DC really need Marvel scriptwriters.

25. This is one film where the reviews are more entertaining than the movie itself.

alexpop likes this.