Rush Album by Album, Song By Song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jan 11, 2020.

1. ThunderDan

ThunderDan Forum Resident

Wow, this really shows Rush's greatness... I mean, that would have been quite a neat little concert, touring with Presto, LOL:

1. Chain Lightning (Presto)
    2. Lessons (2112)
    3. Fountain of Lamneth (Caress of Steel)
    4. Making Memories (Fly by Night)
    5. Red Tide (Presto)
    6. Emotion Detector (Power Windows)
    7. High Water (Hold Your Fire)
    8. I Think I'm Going Bald (Caress of Steel)
    9. Different Strings (Permanent Waves)
    10. Open Secrets (Hold Your Fire)
    11.Madrigal (A Farewell to Kings)
    12. Hand over Fist (Presto)
    13. Available Light (Presto)
    14.Take a Friend (Rush)

2. ThunderDan

Presto

Again, everything is new to me at this point. While the previous two albums were surprisingly good for me, Presto is their least memorable album to this point. It began very promising though... that first one and a half minute or so of Show Don't Tell is a breath of fresh air... unfortunately the chorus is not that great, the synths are a bit weird, and overall, the song feels just a tiny bit too long... which seems to be a pattern on the whole album. The next two tracks are my favorite ones here, Chain Lightning once again kickstarts with that rockier sound, but I like the song more than the opening track. Strangely I had some "proto-Dream Theater" associations with the first three tracks... But after The Pass (which is great), it goes downhill for me. There are interesting ideas in almost all of the songs, but they don't really gel as fully finalized songs... Superconductor seems to be the most intriguing song around these parts. Overall, the songwriting dips for me, compared to previous albums, and yes, the production doesn't help either. I don't feel that usual urge to listen to it over and over again. It's still a good album, just Rush's standards are too high.

For now, I very much prefer the "pre-classic" first three albums or the duo of PW/HYF to Presto, and I'm not even mentioning the classic albums. Presto is at last place, and this is the single biggest gap between to adjacent rankings.
    However, I'm now curious about the band's further journey, where this change of sound will lead to...

1. Hemispheres
    2. Permanent Waves
    3. Moving Pictures
    4. 2112
    5. A Farewell To Kings
    6. Grace Under Pressure
    7. Signals
    8. Caress of Steel
    9. Rush
    10.Hold Your Fire
    11.Power Windows
    12.Fly By Night
    13.Presto

Wil1972 and mark winstanley like this.
  3. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

My Rush album rankings tend to fluctuate a bit from year to year, but based on listens of each this year, I think this sounds about right:

1. Power Windows
    2. Moving Pictures
    3. Permanent Waves
    4. 2112
    5. Hemispheres
    6. Counterparts
    7. A Farewell to Kings
    8. Signals
    9. Clockwork Angels
    10. Roll the Bones
    11. Grace Under Pressure
    12. Hold Your Fire
    13. Fly by Night
    14. Caress of Steel
    15. Presto
    16. Snakes and Arrows
    17. Rush
    18. Vapor Trails
    19. Test for Echo

If I had to spitball a list of 25 favorites, I will go with this off the top of my head:

1. 2112
    2. La Villa Strangiato
    3. Xanadu
    4. Red Barchetta
    5. Jacob's Ladder
    6. Marathon
    7. Tom Sawyer
    8. The Spirit of Radio
    9. Mission
    10. Territories
    11. The Trees
    12. Leave That Thing Alone
    13. Subdivisions
    14. Red Sector A (based on the live versions)
    15. Freewill
    16. Distant Early Warning
    17. Dreamline
    18. Limelight
    19. Middletown Dreams
    20. YYZ
    21. Natural Science
    22. The Pass
    23. The Weapon
    24. Animate
    25. By-Tor and the Snow Dog

4. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Still get a kick out of listening to Vapor Trails (original mix) and always feeling it was recorded yesterday.

5. ThunderDan

Roll The Bones

It's funny that we are now at 1991. It's the exact date of my musical roots back then. Pearl Jam's first albums, R.E.M.'s Green, Out Of Time, Automatic for the People, Metallica's Black Album, Faith No More's Angel Dust, Soundgarden's Superunknown, Alice In Chain's Dirt... that kind of music was our soundtrack, of course we haven't even heard about Rush. It seems that Pearl Jam's Ten came out basically at the same time as Roll The Bones, wow!

I have been quite enjoying RTB. It's still Rush, although a lesser version, no question about it. A close cousin of Presto (just like the PW/HYF pairing), those two are very close to eachother in quality as well. Typical of Rush, the album is front-loaded again: Dreamline is a rocking gem, and I love the infectious groove of Roll The Bones, including the catchy chorus. I don't mind the rap part at all. (Imagine LL Cool J doing it, LOL... although R.E.M.'s Radio Song is from the same year with KRS-1, and it's a little cringy...). Somehow that title song gives me positive feelings of nostalgia, despite hearing it first only a couple of weeks ago. My third favorite song on the album is Where's My Thing. They are clearly having fun, and that's the whole vibe of the album for me. Where I differ from most of the reviews in this topic is Heresy, which I find one of the most forgettable songs in their discography, and Bravado is also kind of boring to me :hide: (although still better than Heresy). Maybe those types of songs are not my cup of tea. I like all the other tracks, again, you have to listen to the album without expectations of a Hemispheres or Signals. They work quite well in the album setting... it's a groovy, at parts even funky, and certainly poppy album. It just edges out Presto for me.

I'm looking forward to the next album, as a lot of promising words have been written about it.

1. Hemispheres
    2. Permanent Waves
    3. Moving Pictures
    4. 2112
    5. A Farewell To Kings
    6. Grace Under Pressure
    7. Signals
    8. Caress of Steel
    9. Rush
    10.Hold Your Fire
    11.Power Windows
    12.Fly By Night
    13.Roll The Bones
    14.Presto

6. ThunderDan

Counterparts

On paper, I should love it. My first love of music was grunge, from that same period. In fact, if you only knew the first three tracks on Counterparts (not knowing the band Rush), you would assume it's a grunge band. A technically highly skilled band, with very well crafted musicianship, but... something is lacking. The songs are just not really memorable. Animate reminds me of Pearl Jam... but I tend to forget about it. Stick It Out reminds me of Soundgarden (maybe from Badmotorfinger)... but I tend to forget about it. Cut To The Chase is great for headbanging... but I tend to forget about it. And then comes Nobody's Hero... which is anything but forgettable, only problem is that its lyrics are pretty awkward and cringey... still a decent ballad, I guess. My favorite songs here are Between Sun & Moon and Alien Shore, and to an extent Leave That Thing Alone (and still, I might prefer the instrumental from RTB). My overall impression on the album is that I like their high-level playing and the refurbished rocking sound, BUT... the songs are not that exciting (for Rush's standards!), and there is even more "generic" stuff here than on the previous two albums. It's still a good album, but not great. At this point, it would be my last option if I want to listen to a Rush studio album. I know I'm in the minority here and also in general, but that's my personal preference. Let's listen to A Show Of Hands instead... ;)

Now, rateyourmusic has a score of 3,49 for Counterparts, while 3,03 for the next album... khmmm... I'm getting curious. :)

1. Hemispheres
    2. Permanent Waves
    3. Moving Pictures
    4. 2112
    5. A Farewell To Kings
    6. Grace Under Pressure
    7. Signals
    8. Caress of Steel
    9. Rush
    10.Hold Your Fire
    11.Power Windows
    12.Fly By Night
    13.Roll The Bones
    14.Presto
    15.Counterparts

7. ThunderDan

:biglaugh:

ARK, mark winstanley and Lamus like this.
  8. ThunderDan

Test For Echo

From the first tacts on, I liked this one immediately more than the previous album. In fact, the first three songs, Test For Echo, Driven, Half The World are for me the strongest string of three songs since Hold Your Fire! They have that Rush-y vibe for me, sprinkled with some Dream Theater and Tool (especially in the first two songs). Unfortunately, it goes downhill from there on, which seems to be a pattern with Rush albums at this stage. For example, The Color of Right feels like a mediocre Foo Fighters song, lol... not bad... just unmemorable. And then the next songs tend to be even more generic and boring... again, not bad, just... not really great. Resist is a needed change of pace, and is kind of charming and sweet... although maybe a minute too long (which again seems to be a pattern, see the previous albums). Limbo is a solid instrumental, not their best, but I enjoy it, and then I quite like Carve Away the Stone, again, the instrumental part is great.
    All in all, Test For Echo is closer stylistically to Presto and Roll The Bones. I even made a list on Spotify combining those three albums, and it is quite a triple album, LOL. :cool: (Of course, a "best of" of those three would be a very high quality album, but we are hardcore Rush fans :rolleyes:.) Of these four albums, Counterparts is the odd one out... and I can see why the majority rates it higher than P, RTB or TFE, but for me, these three are more enjoyable. If I have to rank them, these three are very close to eachother too... I tend to like the "lesser" tracks on RTB more, but Presto gets edged out by the strength of the first three songs of TFE.

1. Hemispheres
    2. Permanent Waves
    3. Moving Pictures
    4. 2112
    5. A Farewell To Kings
    6. Grace Under Pressure
    7. Signals
    8. Caress of Steel
    9. Rush
    10.Hold Your Fire
    11.Power Windows
    12.Fly By Night
    13.Roll The Bones
    14.Test For Echo
    15.Presto
    16.Counterparts

So, three studio albums to go it seems...

9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

10. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

11. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

mark winstanley likes this.
  12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Exit The Warrior
    I came across this just browsing. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.
    This is part 1, I assume two will be linked to it.

13. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Rush plays Tom Sawyer on Guitar Hero LOL

14. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I think this was recorded around the time of the Colbert interview.

15. ThunderDan

Vapor Trails

It must have been quite a treat back then, after that seven-year hiatus (which seemed to be the end of the band). I can imagine how in 2003 many fans may have found the sound of the record disappointing - I have been listening to the remixed version, but also checked out the original mix on youtube. I'm almost like the polar opposite of an audiophile , so the soundscape doesn't bother me... and the SONGS shine through the mix (whichever it is)! Maybe more so than on previous albums, finally the songs seem to have their own "identity" here, they are all memorable to my ears, nothing to skip their until at least Nocturne. There is no track on here (until the final parts of the album) that would bore me, I find the album surprisingly energetic, it's remarkable how Rush once again managed to kind of reinvent themselves... no keyboards, but whenever I hear Secret Touch for example, I always have the feeling that they manage to convey powerful melodic textures here just as well as on Hold On Fire for example with all those synths. My favorite tracks are Ceiling Unlimited, Peacable Kingdom and The Stars Look Down, but the absolute higlight of the album is that trio of songs Vapor Trail - Secret Touch - Earthshine. That sequence of songs really resonate with me emotionally... stylistically very different from prime Rush, but for me it's on par with Rush's best work, and Secret Touch is definitely one of the greatest songs in their entire catalogue. I very much like Sweet Miracle as well, and Nocturne begins promisingly, but then I find the chorus a bit flat... I don't really care for the last two songs.
    All in all, I think it's their best album (at this point!) since Hold Your Fire. If the album ended with Sweet Miracle, it might even challenge the first two albums or the PW/HYF duo on my ranking.

1. Hemispheres
    2. Permanent Waves
    3. Moving Pictures
    4. 2112
    5. A Farewell To Kings
    6. Grace Under Pressure
    7. Signals
    8. Caress of Steel
    9. Rush
    10.Hold Your Fire
    11.Power Windows
    12.Fly By Night
    13.Vapor Trails
    14.Roll The Bones
    15.Test For Echo
    16.Presto
    17.Counterparts

And there are still two albums to get to know...:D

16. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

First time I think I've seen a match to me with Counterparts at the bottom.

mark winstanley and ThunderDan like this.
  17. Quixote Kid

Quixote Kid Well-Known Member

18. Quixote Kid

Quixote Kid Well-Known Member

mark winstanley likes this.
  19. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Randomly today....

“There’s no safe seat at the feast/Take your best stab at the beast”

Anagram for Mongo, I can’t quit you!

20. ThunderDan

It was a good interview!

First impressions:

Feedback - Apart from a couple of bands like the Beatles, I'm not at all acquainted with 60's music... I have only known The Seeker... and track three as Public Enemy's He Got Game. :uhhuh: I'm now checking out the originals. I like this "album", it has somewhat of that rock&rolly vibe of the first album.

Snakes & Arrows - This is their least accessible album for me. I have listened to it at least five times, but at this point it still hasn't grabbed me. :hide: (I already quite liked Vapor Trails at a similar phase.) One song I love though: The Main Monkey Business. I am going to read the topic to maybe get some new angles.

mark winstanley and Quixote Kid like this.
  21. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

:yikes:

[​IMG]

mark winstanley and ThunderDan like this.
  22. Wil1972

Wil1972 'Nader Dodgin' Champ

I know I'm late to the party here, and I really wish I could have participated in this conversation about one of my favorite bands in real time, but I only recently joined this forum. However after discovering this topic I have been following it and enjoying everyone's input and commentary. Hopefully I can join in on an album-by-album conversation on another band soon. Maybe Yes? They are another group I have enjoyed immensely through the years.
    At any rate, thank you for this wonderful diversion from our crazy world. Needed it. And just to feel like I did participate in some level, I'll give my brief thoughts on each studio album. Thanks again. It have me an excuse to take a deep dive.

Part 1:

RUSH

Great:
    Finding My Way
    Working Man

Good:
    Before and After
    What You're Doing

Average:
    Need Some Love
    Take a Friend
    In the Mood
    Here Again

Skippable:
    (none)

FLY BY NIGHT

Great:
    Anthem
    Fly by Night

Good:
    Beneath Between and Behind
    By-Tor and the Snow Dog
    Making Memories

Average:
    Best I Can
    In the End

Skippable:
    Rivendell

CARESS OF STEEL

Great:
    Lakeside Park

Good:
    Bastille Day

Average:
    I Think I'm Going Bald
    The Necromancer
    The Fountain of Lamneth

Skippable:
    (none)

Great:
    Something for Nothing

Good:
    A Passage to Bangkok
    Tears

Average:
    The Twilight Zone
    Lessons

Skippable:
    (none)

A FAREWELL TO KINGS

Great:
    Xanadu
    Closer to the Heart

Good:
    Cinderella Man
    Cygnus X-1

Average:
    A Farewell to Kings
    Madrigal

Skippable:
    (none)

HEMISPHERES

Great:
    The Trees
    La Villa Strangiato

Good:
    Circumstances

Average:
    Hemispheres

Skippable:
    (none)

mark winstanley, Lamus, Murph and 5 others like this.
  23. Wil1972

Part 2:

PERMANENT WAVES

Great:
    The Spirit of Radio
    Freewill
    Natural Science

Good:
    Jacob's Ladder
    Entre Nous

Average:
    Different Strings

Skippable:
    (none)

MOVING PICTURES

Great:
    Tom Sawyer
    Red Barchetta
    YYZ
    Limelight

Good:
    The Camera Eye
    Witch Hunt

Average:
    Vital Signs

Skippable:
    (none)

SIGNALS

Great:
    Subdivisions
    The Analog Kid
    New World Man

Good:
    Digital Man
    The Weapon

Average:
    Chemistry
    Losing It
    Countdown

Skippable:
    (none)

GRACE UNDER PRESSURE

Great:
    Distant Early Warning
    The Enemy Within

Good:
    The Body Electric
    Red Sector A

Average:
    Afterimage
    Kid Gloves
    Red Lenses

Skippable:
    Between the Wheels

POWER WINDOWS

Great:
    The Big Money
    Marathon
    Mystic Rhythms

Good:
    Grand Designs
    Manhattan Project
    Territories

Average:
    Middletown Dreams

Skippable:
    Emotion Detector

HOLD YOUR FIRE

Great:
    Force Ten
    Time Stand Still
    Turn the Page

Good:
    Prime Mover
    Mission

Average:
    Open Secrets
    Second Nature
    High Water

Skippable:
    Lock and Key
    Tai-Shan

PRESTO

Great:
    Show, Don't Tell
    The Pass
    Presto

Good:
    Chain Lightning
    Scars
    Superconductor
    Available Light

Average:
    War Paint
    Hand over Fist

Skippable:
    Anagram (for Mongo)
    Red Tide

mark winstanley, Lamus, Murph and 4 others like this.
  24. Wil1972

Part 3:

ROLL THE BONES

Great:
    Dreamline
    Bravado

Good:
    Where's My Thing?
    The Big Wheel

Average:
    Face Up
    Heresy
    Neurotica
    Ghost of a Chance

Skippable:
    Roll the Bones
    You Bet Your Life

COUNTERPARTS

Great:
    Animate
    Stick it Out
    Cut to the Chase
    Leave That Thing Alone

Good:
    Between Sun and Moon
    Alien Shore
    Double Agent
    Cold Fire

Average:
    Nobody's Hero
    Everyday Glory

Skippable:
    The Speed of Love

TEST FOR ECHO

Great:
    Driven
    Time and Motion
    Resist

Good:
    Half the World
    Totem
    Virtuality
    Carve Away the Stone

Average:
    Test for Echo
    Limbo

Skippable:
    The Color of Right
    Dog Years

VAPOR TRAILS

Great:
    One Little Victory
    Vapor Trail
    Earthshine

Good:
    Ceiling Unlimited
    The Stars Look Down
    How It Is
    Secret Touch
    Nocturne

Average:
    Sweet Miracle
    Freeze
    Out of the Cradle

Skippable:
    Ghost Rider
    Peaceable Kingdom

SNAKES AND ARROWS

Great:
    Far Cry
    The Main Monkey Business

Good:
    Workin' Them Angels

Average:
    Armour and Sword
    The Way the Wind Blows
    Spindrift
    Hope
    Malignant Narcissism
    We Hold On

Skippable:
    The Larger Bowl
    Faithless
    Bravest Face
    Good News First

CLOCKWORK ANGELS

Great:
    Caravan
    Headlong Flight
    The Garden

Good:
    BU2B
    Clockwork Angels
    The Anarchist
    Carnies
    Seven Cities of Gold
    The Wreckers

Average:
    Halo Effect

Skippable:
    Wish Them Well
    BU2B2

mark winstanley, Lamus, Murph and 4 others like this.
  25. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I have been going through my hard drives lately and came across a Rush boot I had hiding out. It's a monitor mix from the Vapor Trails tour and I have to say the Vapor Trails songs, Earthshine, Between The Sun And The Moon, One Little Victory, Ceiling Unlimited, & Secret Touch sound so good. It's too bad we can't get a decent-sounding copy of that album.