What are your go-to headphones?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Penny24, Jan 19, 2021.

1. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The "new" AKG K812 is a very nice sounding phone, despite a lot of people saying it has treble spikes. It certainly sounds less spikey than the Beyerdynamic T1 Gen. 2. The AKG K701 sounds pretty good, but not in this one's league.

2. mackat

mackat Turntable hoar-...um, collector

My trusty HD650's are my usual go-to headphones. That said, today I just received a pair of Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed that I purchased used. My impressions so far have been very favorable. They sound wonderful and detailed, and not just "for a closed headphone". I think they are some of the most comfortable headphones I've tried so far. They're even made right here in San Diego. The Aeon RT, the model below them, was recently measured over at ASR and it did very well (I know not everyone is a fan of ASR, but that is what made me look into them).

3. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Grado 325 (original) with red drivers they put in during a repair. A sweet set that's served me well for years.

4. jboersma

jboersma Tower of Power

I'm looking at these right now. I like that they don't need EQ to hit the Harmon Curve and seem to hit all the bases when it comes to sound quality and durability. Would love to hear about your experience via DM. Thanks!

5. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident Thread Starter

What is the sound signature like?

6. K Knight

K Knight Forum Resident

My go to headphones? The pair that I can find at the time I'm leaving the apt.

:whistle:

mikedifr0923 and Instant Dharma like this.
  7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm not good at putting what I hear into words. The drivers are placed forward and angled back in the cups so that presents a nice soundstage. They're low impedance, 55 ohms, so they're easy to drive although I do use them with a Schiit Asgard 3 amp. All in all they have a nice open sound and there are tons of online reviews.

Penny24 likes this.
  8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Grado sr60’s natch but sadly I get the most mileage out of my Apple earbuds (wired)

:hide:

9. Nakamichi

Nakamichi The iceage is coming....

Phillips Fidelio

Freon likes this.
  10. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

Still got my AKG K550 from about 8 yrs ago. Recently put new pads on them. Perfectly happy with the sound and see no reason to change

11. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

My last purchase was Mr. Speakers ÆON closed back, and I have stopped looking.
    On the shelf are:
    Sennheiser HD598 | Westone UM Pro 30 | Grado SR325i | Beyerdynamic DT770PRO

12. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident Thread Starter

what is the bass like on the closed back headphones?

13. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

My go-tos are still my trusty old Grado SR-80 phones. But I almost never listen to headphones anymore.

Bobocryce likes this.
  14. Henrik_Swe

Henrik_Swe Well-Known Member

Sennheiser HD600 all the way. Also excellent as a reference in the studio. Had the 600's for some 15+ years, but busted them last year. Bought the HD650's thinking I'd do a small upgrade, but didn't like the sound at all, so ended up buying a new pair of HD600 instead.

kBear, Sevoflurane and Bill Why Man like this.
  15. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

I love the bass response, I find it to be very well defined, and clean, does not get in the way of the mids, these cans just have the overall sound I like.

It is definitely not bloated or over-the-top, nor bass-heavy, which is not my thing.
    Like Goldilocks I guess, they are just right for me...

To be clear, mine of the first gen MrSpeakers set.

Penny24 likes this.
  16. beep

beep Senior Member

I received a used pair of Ananda's that were sold new in Nov. of 2020 today. Got them on the HeadFi classifies for $500. I already own HE400i's and HD6XX's and I can already tell these are going to be my main cans. I am using them thru a Monoprice Liquid Platinum amp with the balanced cables I was using with the 400i's with a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter. I had a hard time deciding between the 400i's and the HD6XX's, both sounded good and it depended on my mood but the Ananda's are several levels above. They are so much cleaner without being bright and go lower with much more solid bass. The rest of my headphone system is a Grace SDAC and my Dell Windows 10 i5 chipped computer. Cables are Audioquest Cinnamon usb and a jitterbug to the DAC and Audioquest Golden Gate (single ended) from dac to amp.

LitHum05 and jboersma like this.
  17. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The Focal Clear is a neutral headphone. I consider it a step up from the HD600/HD650. I wouldn't consider it a better HD650. It's its own sound while being neutral. The Focal Clear sounds more open and the center fills in better than the HD650. It is also easier to drive than the HD650 so you can plug it in to more normal headphone outputs and it will still sound good and have plenty of volume. For example, you could plug it into a laptop and it would do fine. Can't really do that with the HD650.

The disadvantage for the Focal Clear is cost. The Focal series of headphones are also not the best choice if you like to EQ in extra bass. If you EQ in too much bass you can get the drivers to over-extend or distort with some low frequency bass (sub 40 Hz kind of bass like what can be in electronic music). If you don't boost the bass and listen at sane safe levels you're not going to have a problem with the Focal line. Kinda telling that something that could be considered a step up from the HD650 is about $1500.

Penny24 likes this.
  18. jboersma

jboersma Tower of Power

Well, I don't know if I'll regret it or not, but I ended up spending twice the money of Ananda to acquire the Audeze LCD-X. Decided buying American-made was important, and frankly, all my research pointed to "if you can afford them, just get 'em."

Got a Schiit Asgard 3 incoming as well, so in a few days I could be experiencing headphone bliss. Or sitting there wondering what the F I've done. Ha!

19. Jim N.

Jim N. Just another day in what was once Paradise...

My main two (I switch back and forth):

Senn HD800 with SDR mod
    LSA HP1 (Planar)

Sometimes the Senn 600 are fine.

20. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

My go to for years have been Sony v6 and etymotic er-4s with custom molded ear pieces.
    More recently I bought some B&W PI3 Bluetooth phones. I really like them especially after I added Comply foam tips! Very musical and balanced. Hang around my neck when I’m not using them. Loving them. Bowers & Wilkins PI3 in Ear Wireless Headphones - Space Grey https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WJ1CGL...abc_19ZJW3GACCJ7YN5NE0F8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

21. For years, the Sennheiser HD 600’s were my go-to headphones. Recently, I have embraced the Grado Hemp Phones. They are both excellent pairs—and they both pair well with the versatile Schiit Valhalla 2.

The Sennheisers have much to offer. They are incredibly comfortable and relatively lightweight. Frankly, they’re pillow-like. If comfort is a premium factor along with sound, the 600’s are an incredible listen. They offer a laid-back, spacious, detailed experience. They are truly a joy to use. They were my first audiophile-level headphones, and I will always stand by them. If you’re 600-curious, you will likely not be disappointed.

The Grado Hemps are a different animal altogether. Their sound is more raucous, more toe-tapping, more visceral. If you primarily listen to rock or jazz, these cans are a revelation. They have the perfect combination of a forward-sounding, impactful listen, with detail and clarity that dances along the eardrums. They are the real deal. The mid-range is divine. They offer that perfect sound that combines audiophile-level ear candy with that feeling you get as a teenager—no matter the sound quality—when the music just hits you square and alters your philosophy on life. They’re simultaneously unpretentious and magical. Their comfort levels vary. At first, I found myself constantly adjusting them to my liking. They have now adjusted to me, and they fit like an aural glove.

As always, mileage varies with individual systems, headphone fits, and sonic tastes.

Cheers,

Bill

22. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Perhaps you should of held onto them ? or if going back will then make them keepers .... i had some advice many years ago from a favourite uncle about headphones ...he said when you find a really good pair and then later "upgrade" keep the original pair you really like for 10years more as headphones don't age and often when you're older you will decide to go back ... i was probably 17 and 10 years seemed rediculous ....he was probably 60 + ...now i understand what he was saying .. and tend to hang onto too many HPs but i have found myself going back to various HPs over the years for a change in sound ..

Dred, Paul_s and rodentdog like this.
  23. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

These days it’s the Apple airpod Max

24. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

I agree. Would've kept my original set but;

a) They were very uncomfortable (SR-407 based on the earlier Lambdas). The sound was super of course.
    b) One side of the ear phones (sorry speakers :D ) went funny after 12 months, I either blew them or there was a technical issue with them :(

So I ended up selling everything (including the amp - which was never a problem, guess I could've kept that and just bought some 007).
    Think I'd get on better with the 007/009 as they're in that classic headphone design. Saying that, the Edition 11 sound nice.

Swann36 likes this.
  25. On_the_dunes

On_the_dunes Forum Resident

grado sr80, beyerdynamic dt1990, sony mh755

Catunderthestars likes this.