Tom Petty/Heartbreakers: 2019 - 2023 Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Jan 11, 2019.

1. faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd Forum Resident

I can't get excited about the idea of new releases. The band is at their best live, so normally I'd be excited about the potential of something like the Fillmore, but not anymore. I think they'll find a way to make a straight-forward release into another rip-off. Maybe you have to pay $100 extra for the DVD/Blu-Ray this time? I get it's a business, but their recent actions reek of greed.

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  2. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

I've had a bad taste in my mouth ever since they released that "Best of Everything" set about 6 weeks after "American Treasure" and tacked on 2 or 3 unreleased tracks. That was completely unnecessary.
    Sadly, it hasn't got any better since then.

Alan57, Hep Alien and faceinthecrowd like this.
  3. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I’d prefer HD downloads of specific shows like Springsteen.

FJFP likes this.
  4. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

My blue vinyl Full Moon fever LP shipped out today. Wonder if they used the CB remaster stampers on it... We'll find out!

Sean, davenav, Arete411 and 2 others like this.
  5. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

Good news. Please let us know if it is indeed the CB remaster. Thanks!

Tim 2, faceinthecrowd and Peja11 like this.
  6. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

There is a actually a number of reasons why "Best of Everything" is necessary. Even for hardcore Petty fans.

1. The remastering of the two songs from She's the One (Walls/Angel Dream) sounds miles better than they do on the soundtrack (even the 2015 Hi-Res re-release).

2. Best sounding Stop Draggin' My Heart Around I have ever heard.

3. The complete version of The Best of Everything.

4. I Should Have Known It, Trailer and Hungry No More all have clean endings/starts.

5. The Last DJ without the lame piano coda.

6. The new song.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    Sean, Hep Alien, davenav and 5 others like this.
  7. FourWalledWorld

To your points 3 and 6, these should have been on American Treasure (a release that arrived about 6 weeks before this).

We can agree to disagree but for me, it's an unnecessary release and comes across as a complete cash-in.

faceinthecrowd and FJFP like this.
  8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

They should be shot for putting out coloured vinyl and you are a bit of a mug buying it. Sorry but the whole coloured vinyl thing from labels has now got unbearable. Just aimed at the Crosley crowd and those that look and don't play. They even have the nerve to charge more for the coloured versions.

9. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

The complication with the American Treasure and Best of Everything sets was that they were on two different record labels (Warner & Universal). The talk at the time was that in order to agree to license their tracks to Warner for American Treasure, Universal wanted a couple of unique tracks for Best of Everything.

10. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I will say that I remember TBOE was a bit of a label pleaser to balance out with AAT, but it doesn't completely feel like it. I've bought the 4LP TBOE, 6LP AAT, and 9LP WF, but unless they dig out a rarities collection, I can't see anything else getting a truly bulky release like these. I don't need re-cuts of the main LPs now, just give me 'outtakes albums'.

At least with these releases we've been able to buy them without all the lollipops, posters and t-shirts, but still. The WF debacle definitely had a bit of a sour taste alongside it, even though the actual product in the end was fantastic.

Edit: looks like @Bonddm beat me to it on the first point.

faceinthecrowd likes this.
  11. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

I agree a label can TOTALLY over do it. I saw a recent classic thrash metal reissue recently come out in 20 color variants (which all sold out FYI). But it’s not like the Petty catalog is deep in multiple pressings. Heck half the recent reissue campaign is out of print. Those of us on this thread who have double red LP edition of Torpedos aren’t feeling too bad with their choice. I’ll be sitting on an extra blue vinyl copy if you change your mind. Ha!

12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

That double red of Torpedos likely uses the plates for the ORG reissue from 2010!? So you lucked out that it was easy for the label or pressing plant to use a good existing source. I'm surprised they let TP titles go OOP now and certainly they should be repressed on black vinyl. I do buy coloured vinyl but because there is no choice, which is what you are saying I think. Bonus if they actually use one of the recent good cuts. Do they think reissuing on coloured vinyl will mean some will purchase the same pressing twice?

13. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

The red vinyl 2LP Torpedoes was the special edition (BecauseMusicMatters exclusive?) of the ORG release which came out at the same time.

If this blue edition is a cheap digital pressing from a cheap plant in a cheap jacket and paper inner sleeve, I will have some negative feedback, and some thoughts about cheapening the Petty brand for the "Crosley Crowd." If its a gorgeous job that sounds superior to my original pressing (played on a Linn Sondek), I'll be able to sleep well at night. ;p

14. hollywoodswag

hollywoodswag Forum Resident

I've bought the same album twice for U2 due to reissues coming out on color vinyl (did it for Zooropa and Pop), and after that I swore I wouldn't buy another black vinyl pressing of any of their albums lest I get bamboozled again (both were announced in color vinyl shortly after the black vinyl was released). I still have Achtung Baby and All That You Can't Leave Behind in black vinyl, but all others are color vinyl, and I don't have War or Rattle & Hum because I mercifully hadn't bought them yet. I'll sit on those two until color vinyl comes later.

15. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Thanks!

I guess I should thank the complainers with their dull whining also, or I wouldn’t have known this about the improved mastering on several songs I love.

Tom Campbell and KAJ1971 like this.
  16. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

That would be great. :agree: I'm definitely in if thats the case.

17. davenav

Where did you find it?

18. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

davenav likes this.
  19. davenav

Done! I got the Jimi at Maui set also. With discounts both came in at under $65!!!!

20. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

TBOE is no more of a cash-in than any other career-spanning retrospective or greatest hits collection ever made. In fact, in fairness, this is only the second career-spanning TP "hits" collection ever released. And the first one is so old, it didn't even have WF material on it.

I would say that, of all the things to complain about (scented candles, lollipops, etc.), this ranks towards the very bottom.

Even though I own his entire discography, I got TBOE just so I could hear all of the radio songs (and shoulda-beens) at one time when I'm in that mood. And it fits that bill nicely. Plus, it will likely turn a lot of new fans on to him. I actually think it was a pretty functional and even necessary release. YMMV.

21. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Let’s face it, most GH sets are contractural. It was over due as it was pointed out that the prior GH did not even include Wildflower tracks, let alone from quite a few albums after it. So for me, far from a cash grab.

And it all comes down to the fact that you can decide not to buy the album. Your Tom Petty fan card isn’t revoked if you don’t purchase any release

22. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

I didn't want to take any chances so I got the CD & Vinyl. Now all I need is for Disc one of the CD set to rip in English instead of Japanese

23. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Is that a rarity? Would love to hear Tom singing all those songs in Japanese!

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi likes this.
  24. FourWalledWorld

My main problem with the set is not that it’s a greatest hits set, it’s the fact that it was released just a few months after “American Treasure”, another compilation (more focused on rarities I know but still, another compilation set).

You’re entitled to feel otherwise, that’s fine but it felt completely wrong to me and, in my opinion, like a cash-in. In fact, these kind of releases probably annoy me more than the candles and lollipop rubbish because they directly concern the music.

Paul J likes this.
  25. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Exactly, Apples and Oranges. One was a rarity set, one was a GH package. Only the 2nd one in 44 years of a recording career. And the last one was 28 years prior .
    And again, you were not required to purchase either