The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

congrats on a beautiful table!
    you do realize that cartridge is like having a 1.6l toyota corolla engine in an Acura NSX?

2. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Yes, I realize that.
    I started off using that cart to get the table set up. I was looking at some AT MC carts, was thinking of starting off with the AT33PG/II

3. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Why would my suggested test be pointless? How can differences b/w cables be easy to hear yet not discernible when subjected to my test?

My preference would be for high-end cable companies to provide high-res music clips on their websites. For example: Clip A features a system where their "premium" cables are used throughout, and Clip B features ordinary cables often included with components. This would allow people to form their judgements, using their own playback system. Alas, it will never happen.

People need to ask themselves. ..Why can the wire used inside of a component be thin and ordinary, yet the cable that joins two components must feature bluish anodized connectors, gold plugs, and braided cloth dressing? ..And no, it's not because of insulation from stray EMI, or whatever, as that is just as apt to exist inside of a component as outside.

The reason is, the wires inside a component aren't seen, and aren't user-upgradable. Whilst the wires that join two components ARE seen and ARE user-upgradable. Hence, a market for fancy (looking) cables. Just mho.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    Wngnt90 and JackG like this.
  4. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

If you’re having EMI/RFI issues coming from other devices, those internal cables are shielded against it when the case of the device or tonearm is metal.
    That same shielding is required for the cables outside of the device.
    For phono cables, the capacitance also matters when using MM cartridges.
    But overall, I agree, those OCC and cryotreated copper materials inside cables are a joke.

Wngnt90, Big Blue and patient_ot like this.
  5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Not a very good analogy.

todd141 likes this.
  6. avanti1960

ok how about its like having an entry level cartridge on a high end turntable? ,

Oelewapper, punkmusick and recstar24 like this.
  7. Oelewapper

Well, it made sense to me, after googling what an Acura is :righton:
    Except for that it was quite clear IMO.
    Apparently, Honda is called Acura in North America.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The performance of that cart is very high, regardless of price. I've had and heard some more expensive cartridges, and didn't always prefer them. Matter of fact, some of them I actively disliked, because tracking or tracing performance was lacking, or they were not neutral enough and too colored in presentation.

JackG and snorker like this.
  9. avanti1960

acur
    acura is the "fancy" division of honda in NA.

Oelewapper and patient_ot like this.
  10. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Acura is to Honda, what Technics is to Panasonic :) ..Here in North America, that is.

Oelewapper likes this.
  11. dcarwin

dcarwin Forum Resident

Likewise comparing Technics to Apple is not a good comparison. If the 1200 was made by Apple, you'd only be able to use Apple-branded cartridges on it!

12. Oelewapper

Yes and some software locks to prevent repair and replacements of parts.
    And prevent part suppliers to sell to third parties like customers.
    And they would make a tonearm cable so that it breaks after moving the tonearm for 10.000 times, so a new one can be sold every few years.
    Or release a firmware update to give an error 53 code when you’ve changed your tonearm and prevent it from starting :p

13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Ha! Sounds like something straight out of Louis Rossman's channel. Not an Apple fan if you haven't guessed.

Oelewapper likes this.
  14. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Yes, and I as well. ..But I hate apple slightest less than the alternatives.

patient_ot likes this.
  15. Oelewapper

Ah nice, yes I watch that channel too from time to time.
    But I also did basic repairs in the past on Apple devices to make an extra buck (most of the contracts over here are about 6 to 12 months, so people are unemployed for at least a few weeks every now and then, which need to be covered).
    No SMT soldering though, since I’m too clumsy and don’t have the proper equipment for it.
    The only reason I have an iPhone is because of the lack of better alternatives :p

patient_ot likes this.
  16. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Well now....

17. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

The cable debate and Apple bashing is really stretching the "general questions" topic.

I'm currently spinning records on my SL-1200GR, 3+ years since purchase, still playing as on day one, btw. Just a wonderful machine imo, and I haven't felt any need to upgrade to something else. I swapped the stock cables with Blue Jeans LC-1 (though the stock cables also have low capacitance, the Blue Jeans are lower), and stuck an Ortofon 2M Bronze PNP on the arm. I go back and forth between a Herbie's Way Excellent II mat and the stock mat, but not certain I can really tell a difference between the two. I use the stock power cable, plugged into a simple APC power strip, which did make a perceptible difference in noise compared to an old Belkin strip I had. I'm a happy camper.

18. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Would you mind sending us a link for the APC power strip you use? Thanks!

19. Gabe Walters

This is the one I got, after someone on this forum recommended the brand. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HVGKMC

Dr. J. and recstar24 like this.
  20. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Congrats. What's your phono preamp?

21. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

it’s in his profile.

22. Gabe Walters

MOFI Ultraphono. Nice circuit designed by the late Tim de Paravicini.

Joel S likes this.
  23. Oelewapper

How does the PNP perform?
    I’ve considered getting that one, but thought that it might be a bit heavy for a 1200 arm.

punkmusick likes this.
  24. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

KAB SL1200MkII owner here envious of your GAE!

I'm also using an AT-VM95ML and am very surprised at how good it is at the price, even though it was directly preceded by an AT33PTG/2. I really bought the 95 out of curiosity and because the entire cart is only $20 more than the ML stylus alone, which I want to try on a Clearaudio Virtuoso. Threw it on the table a few days ago (while praising the designer who included blessed threaded inserts) and...it's still there. :)

25. avanti1960

and expensive apple phono preamp, mats, power supply and interconnects!