Linda's favorite digital versions of all Black Sabbath albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by blacksabbathrainbow, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Original Vertigo ‘The Eternal Idol’ cd arrived today / looking forward to it!
    Sounds better than the Warner Bros. I recall reading here?

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  2. Yes. WB sounds thin and bright IIRC.

3. Gus Tomato

Nice artwork on the disc itself (Warners is basic 80’s cd/ booklet with lyrics. ‘The Player - Tony Iommi’.
    I’m a happy Dude! :righton:

4. Gus Tomato

5. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

6. Gus Tomato

It could actually work! Was Iommi on that ‘Bullring Brummies’ cover of The Wizard for the famous Sabbath comp in the early 90’s? Or was it Halford, Butler and Ward?

7. Gus Tomato

8. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

I tried to listen to the Intercord of Paranoid again, and man those Iron Man dropouts just ruin it for me! I love the general sound of the disc, but I can't take those dropouts.

sathvyre and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  9. I hear you. And replacing Iron Man on the Intercord with the 33PD version of the track doesn't really help since the 'weaker' sound of the 33PD is most notable on this track, especially on the bass drum hits in the beginning. I am wondering if someone here could remaster the SACD in such a way as to make it sound similar to the 33PD. This would probably include correcting the channel imbalance and changing the EQ in order to darken the sound and tame the hiss. I believe the mastering on the SACD is probably a flat transfer (from a Japanese copy tape, not the original UK master tape) though that transfer was apparently carried out with less than perfect settings; anyway, I think it has potential, it sounds transparent and clean (safe the tape hiss), the EQ is much more moderate than on most other versions (safe the 33PD and Intercord), and the bass drum sounds really punchy.

10. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Send the files to Eroc, and he will do what you want, or you can do this by yourself using Adobe Audition CC ;-) I am happy with my LP rip. No need of remastering Paranoid.

sathvyre and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  11. Gus Tomato

This randomly appeared on my YouTube. Origins of Psychophobia, with a little Stonehenge!

12. Yeah, considering the Dehumanizer Deluxe bonus disc was far from full, they could certainly have added a bunch of these rehearsal recordings.

Anthrax and rnranimal like this.
  13. Check out this. It's obvious Tony isn't very much into that idea at the moment, but he's got a lot of other interesting stuff to tell:
    Tony Iommi Relives Dio Era's Best Pranks, Oddest Song + More - Metal Rock Music Podcast

Anthrax likes this.
  14. Gus Tomato

15. Gus Tomato

Featuring Cozy Powell on drums too apparently.
    Of course the holy grail of Dehumanizer sessions would the versions w/Tony Martin drafted in at the eleventh hour - Man - the band was in some mess back then! Credit is due for producing such a killer album!

16. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Thank you for that! It was a good read. I especially like the bit where Tony is asked to mention an example of one of Ronnie's lyrics that he likes more than the others, and he promptly does the exact opposite! :laugh:

I'm going to post the link on the other thread too, if you don't mind.

17. Yeah, I liked that bit too, especially because I do agree Country Girl is silly. :)
    Posting it on the other thread is a good idea.

Anthrax likes this.
  18. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I hope Iommi refuses the work with Rob Halford. I don’t want to hear another Metal album full of stereotypes!

19. Read the interview. He really doesn't sound like he's into it.

20. Gus Tomato

Handy video comparing some of the various masters of S/T.

21. Handy but misleading since he didn't know the 1986 Castle CD required de-emphasis.

Anthrax likes this.
  22. Gus Tomato

He’d definitely be schooled around these parts, but I thought it was a good idea. I’d like to see it done properly with the other albums too.

23. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Actually, he was. By the very person you replied to.

The uploader did make a correction with a new video, but stupidly never took down the wrong one.

24. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I'm glad someone posted that video because it led me to his demonstration of what pre-emphasis and de-emphasis sounds like. But that video went on to show me there's very little differences and/or improvement in the different masterings that would make it worth putting that much time into it.

It just demonstrates what I've heard with a lot of remastering that are so subtle that they can fit into two sound styles descriptions...boost high frequencies to provide clarity in vocals at the risk of ear bleeding cymbal rides and crashes or roll off these frequencies to make them sound kinda' muffled and let the listener's playback system's non-linear scaling of volume in the high frequencies bring out those highs by cranking it up.

I just wouldn't have bought into that many versions.

25. Well, on my system (with either speakers or headphones - NOT cheap PC speakers), the differences between many of those masterings is notable. But of course not as notable as with e.g. different mixes or different albums.

I admit I am not sure what you're getting at here. Boosting high frequencies vs. rolling them off are not two different "descriptions" but different - and pretty much opposite - actual mastering moves. The result will effectively be two different masterings. Cranking up the volume of a muffled mastering with rolled-off high frequencies will not make it sound any less muffled.

Yeah, it's for everybody.