SH Spotlight If you have a turntable you need to play your mono records in true MONO. How to do it cheaply..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 14, 2006.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It can also reduce distortion.

kt66brooklyn and ex_mixer like this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Yes, on a badly cut record, a worn record or using an inferior needle. I couldn't play 1/2 of the 78's I have otherwise.

kt66brooklyn, ex_mixer and Chemguy like this.
  3. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

It definitely helps on a noisy record - I’ve got some old Stones mono pressings that are a bit worn and summing the channels cuts the noise a lot. On my Beatles monos from 2014 it makes zero audible difference.

kt66brooklyn and DK Pete like this.
  4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Try Nowhere Man or If I Needed Someone.

5. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I don’t notice a difference. The record plays just fine as is, no noticeable sibilance on those songs played in stereo on either of my TT’s.

DK Pete likes this.
  6. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Hilarious. I’m listening to RS right now, and I turned to the missus and told her that the grainy vocal sound in Girl is gone! It’s very noticeable!

7. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

..apparently a lot of different viewpoints here. Oh well. All good.

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

A lot of people don’t notice distortion.

ex_mixer and DK Pete like this.
  9. Nanotear

Nanotear Drummer, Writer, FM radio DJ, cookie baker, etc

The whole reason I invested in a mono cartridge was because my Beatles box sounded grainy, distorted, and sibilant.

Greenmonster2420, Chemguy and DK Pete like this.
  10. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

And did it help?

11. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Pet Sounds from the So Tough two-fer is very smooth. There’s a difference, all right.

shutdown66 and kt66brooklyn like this.

12. Mono for receiver, too

13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The reduction in surface noise by summing still exists with new records.

While the introduction of other issues is possible in theory, I rarely, if ever, find it to be true.

Chemguy likes this.
  14. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

I just got rid of my UK Pet Sounds lp. Its horrible sounding and is available for a nominal fee to all.....

FJFP and Chemguy like this.
  15. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Yes, but the difference in surface noise between a brand new record and a 50s/60s pressings that's been on the floor during plenty parties and you find in the dollar bin could be substantial, I would think there would be more point in appliying the technique to the latter, was my point.

Well, aren't there quite a few mono records where there is something wrong? For example the tape has been transferred using both channels of a stereo head that is misaligned. That was the type of thing I was referring to.

Yes, the difference always exists, but it will be less on a flawless record than on a junk record, no?

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not really. The difference is more or less the same. It’s just with a really noisy record the result is “slightly less noisy than really noisy” while with a fairly quiet record the result is “slightly less noisy than fairly quiet”.

17. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

As far as I understand, the cartridge is doing the mono duties, so the amp's mono won't do anything more.

eyeCalypso likes this.
  18. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

I'm trying to listen in mono using a stereo cartridge and just one cable between my integrated amp's RECORD IN/OUT jacks.

To this end, if I plug a single male rca to two male rca cable like this one (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZEK3QE/ref=twister_B00KMC8GGG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1) and connect the single male end to ONE channel of my integrated's RECORD OUT jacks and the two male end to BOTH channels of the RECORD IN jacks , will I hear mono in reduced noise? Or do I need to use two y-cables? Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  19. The sibilance is all over on those cuts and really the whole Beatles box. I’ve heard it on probably close to a dozen setups (mostly at a hifi shop), from a $200 MM cart with ML stylus to a $10k Strain Gauge cartridge that was mounted on a $25k table. It’s there on every single setup and on multiple copies of the same record.

20. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

I think you need two Y cables. The point is to take L and R signals and combine them so the pops and crackles unique to the individual channels are minimized in relation to the mono signal. You aren't getting the mono mixdown if you only start with one stereo channel.

qwerty and Joel S like this.
  21. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

I didn't think so, but I wanted to make sure. Thanks.

eyeCalypso likes this.
  22. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

If you do the opposite you can get mono sum on one speaker: from rec out to one of the rec in. The other speaker won't give sound.

Joel S likes this.
  23. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

No argument there.......

24. Steven Bowers

Steven Bowers New Member

I am new here. I have been reading the posts in this forum and I just want to understand. With the double Y setup, I would have to unplug it to listen to a stereo album? Correct? I gather from reading all the posts that is what I have to do, but this is the first time I have actually thought about mono vs stereo. I have a number of old mono albums. Thanks.

25. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Yes, you have a correct understanding. You would plug your double-y into your hifi which combines the l+r channel creating mono playback when listening to a mono album. When you listen to a stereo album, removing the double-y will revert your hifi to be stereo.

If you leave the double-y to playback a stereo album, the l+r channels will be combined. However, it won't be a true mono mix, because anything that was mixed to be in the centre of the stereo soundstage (ie, equally loud in the left and right channels), will be emphasized by several db when the channels are combined. This is what is known as a "fold-down" mono mix. A true mono recording is mixed separately to a stereo mix so the instrument/vocals have an appropriate balance. Towards the end of the mono era, there were a lot of albums (and especially singles for radio play) released that were fold-down mixes.