What Do You Think Of the MUSIC of The Doors?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Too much emphasis regarding the band is non-music, which is cool too (as long as its accurate), so I wanted to focus on the music.. I always thought The Doors were the first real progressive rock group, too.

First off, it's stunning that The Doors (while Jim was alive) had such little time together. First album was in Jan 1967 (there was NOTHING like that then), and L.A. Woman was released in 1971, which are both my favorite albums, but if I had to pick one, it would probably be "L.A. Woman".. "The Doors" self-entitled album starts with "Break on Through" and ends with one of my favorite songs by any group, "The End", but what's in the middle isn't as strong as L.A. Woman.

Musically, very diverse. You had Robby with his flamenco, Middle-Eastern, Indiana influences, along with the bottleneck bluesy stuff, jazz, etc etc.... Ray with his classical influences, some boogie-woogie, jazz, etc., and with Jim's creativity, not just the lyrics, but how he delivered them rhythmically (with great melodies to accompany them), his pauses between lines that are simple, but always stuck with me, "Cops in cars, the topless bars, never saw a woman............ so alone"... speaking of L.A. Woman "motel, money, murder, madness" (I like alliteration), or unique phrases, hell, even interesting titles like "Peace Frog", "The Soft Parade" and many others.... You also had the element of Artaud theatre, confrontation with the audience, and general theater especially if you listen to all the concerts on YouTube, which I'd recommend checking out with Greg Shaw's book besides you, since some are not in great quality, but still worth checking out.

Rhythmically, you had
    -bossa nova
    -Latin
    -Tango
    -Shuffle
    -Military
    -Jazz
    -Tribal
    -Rock
    -Blues
    -German Oompah
    -Waltz
    -Native American
    -Disco (Peace Frog)
    -Wild Child (whatever that is, during the verse, is awesome)
    -Funky (The Changeling)
    -Consistent Pounding on "Spanish Caravan"
    -And whatever rhythm would be classified on "Love Me Two Times", going all over the toms, while keeping the beat on the snare without the use of the hi-hat.

Anyway, I'm sure many of you have things to add, so I'll stop there, but I'll post a cool interview of Jim, who does talk about the future of music, but I won't spoil it!

2. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I like Krieger’s guitar playing, hot and cold on the keyboards, and like any band without a bassist, they could have benefited from one.

lobo, Tokyo Ghost, DaveJ and 10 others like this.
  3. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

John Densmore is a helluva drummer.

4. Dandelion1967

Dandelion1967 My Favourite Parks Are Car Parks

Agreed. Great rhythm work, great slide guitar, great wah-wahs... the playing is immaculate, though; the only time he makes me cringe is when he actually tries to sing something.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Absolutely magnificent. All are excellent inventive musicians and Jim was a superb singer.

6. JoeDea

JoeDea Forum Resident

I like some songs but to be honest I can take them or leave them.

7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Considering they very often did have a bassist on their records, they should have had one in the band, but it didn't affect them much!

8. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

the players: 5/5
    the singer: 3/5
    Not really into The Doors too much, but I recognize their musical ability.

9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

For me, The Doors are one of those bands in which a good compilation and one proper album (their debut) completes the bill. That said, I think their overall sound (instrumentation, Morrison's voice) and use of the many styles you listed makes them one of the most unique sounding bands of all time. I'm not sure if they were the first progressive Rock band because I think that can apply to more than one band/artist of their initial time period. But they were certainly one of them.

10. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

They had a real bassist on about 95% of their records

11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...important to add, like them or not, their atmospheric identity/quality was nearly unmatchable.

mr. steak, Mr Sam, moodyxadi and 10 others like this.
  12. Dovetail7

Dovetail7 Pragmatic Purist

Strange Days the peak exhibit of those virtues you describe PLUS the added attraction of inventive, all-original material!

13. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

They sounded better on studio

14. William Abely

William Abely Forum Resident

The Doors with a bass player (and a second guitarist)

15. William Abely

William Abely Forum Resident

I always thought Jim was the Doors weakest link!

16. John Densmore had a huge influence on me as a drummer. I play guitar too but cannot get that fingering style that Kreiger uses down right, IMO his style is really under rated.

Frozensoda, bosie, polchik and 11 others like this.
  17. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

Completely agree. Wanted to post something very equal so you beat me to it!

I was thinking about this just the other day. Some bands i really like result in collecting at least a handful of their releases or in some cases really getting into collecting them fanatically. But with some bands a strong compilation, an album classic or a critically acclaimed live album and that's it. The Doors were the first band that fall in that category that i thought of.

18. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters...

I love Ray Manzarek's organ playing.

19. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Great hits, but about 70% filler

Morrison one of the most self important people in rock history. I get tired of him after about 3 minutes.

20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Great band, always loved them.
    First CD I got was the debut one (40th anniversary remix though), bought that just before departing London at Luton Airport in 2007.
    All of their albums are amazing, my favorites are The Doors and L.A. Woman.

Tokyo Ghost, unclefred and DK Pete like this.
  21. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

Unique, with an instantly identifiable sound.

22. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

It lit fires, it broke on through, then at the end we turned out the lights and went to the next whiskey bar and waited for the sun.

23. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Could you name some examples? And what do you think he does that separates him from others, making him "one of the most self important people in rock history"

24. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I think it sucks. Worst “classic rock” band in my opinion. Hate that organ playing through all the songs. Roller rink music.

sound chaser, roverb and bluejimbop like this.
  25. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Any time he opened his mouth between songs. Just embarrassing silly

oh, and the “poetry” oh my goodness

great singer, however

a customer and petem1966 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.