Classic Saturday Night Live Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jun 20, 2020.

1. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

gotta be his best snl character

MikaelaArsenault and OldSoul like this.
  2. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Greatest moment: Pluck me!!!

Greatest performer: Nasim Pedrad

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

I thought that I would share some videos to remember him.

4. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Brutal.

Rocket’s career path is pretty tragic. From rising star to pariah. He had some acting bits but died by suicide in obscurity.

dan c

fr in sc and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  5. MikaelaArsenault

I was going to post some of his acting bits, but didn’t want to go off topic.

6. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Anyone see last night's repeat? That shipping service skit seems to fit right in with current shipping situations.

link

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I've been watching the 7th season on Peacock. It was surprised that it included the newsflash that martial law had been declared in Poland followed by guest host Bill Murray incorrectly saying that the Soviets had invaded.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  8. modrevolve

Scowl likes this.
  9. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Ten years later we would find out that Poland declaring martial law was actually a good sign. The Soviet Union didn't have the military resources to invade and control Poland (the troops they moved to the border was a bluff) so the Polish government had to try (and fail) to regain control while the Soviet Union watched.

It was crazy seeing what would be one of the first signs of the fall of communism unexpectedly flash on my flatscreen forty years after it happened.

Dan C likes this.
  10. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

One complaint I have is that Peacock has made the dreadful fifth season even worse by leaving out some sketches that were actually kind of funny. When David Carradine hosted they left out the running joke of Caine wandering around in sketches ("I search for water") including the sketch in which he tries on fancy suits with Eddie Murphy (one of his first appearances). When Jamie Lee Curtis hosted they left off the Halloween parody in which they're attacked by clothes pins. Sure, the "Paulie from New Jersey" sketches got old since that was the first running character that caught on, but they didn't have to get rid of all of them. The one with Debbie Harry was cute and the film of him working at the chemical plant ("Things just taste better around here!") was pretty funny.

Chris DeVoe and 905 like this.
  11. MikaelaArsenault

12. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

AFAIC the classic Weekend Update is the one that is going on right now.

13. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

14. 905

905 Senior Member

1986-91 is my favorite era.

15. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

There were several episodes in that period that I thought every single sketch was completely hilarious, and when 1AM came around I was still laughing. I can't remember the last time that happened.

16. Here’s one of my Murphyless faves, from Murphy’s last episode as a cast member: it stars underrated utility player Gary Kroger as an awkward dentist who makes a wild and crazy video dating video.

My Name is Needleman

Paul J likes this.
  17. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

905 likes this.
  18. Stereosound

19. Stereosound

20. Stereosound

21. MikaelaArsenault

22. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I'm up to the last Ebersol "no expenses spared" season on Peacock and still some of the best sketches are missing. When Jesse Jackson hosted, they didn't include Ed Grimley on a plane with him which ended with Jackson getting a headache. They are including some miserable and forgettable one-joke sketches like Jim Belushi pretending to be mentally ill in a job interview which ended with Christopher Guest taking off his pants for absolutely no reason (???).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Stereosound

24. modrevolve

I was watching the Blythe Danner episode that aired during Season 7. Mel Brandt announces during the good nights that on Monday April 5, 1982 a “Best of the New Saturday Night Live” special would be airing. There is literally no information on the internet about this special; including many SNL tribute sites Ive read through. Does anyone have information on this special like what sketches were included and such?

905 likes this.
  25. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

I enjoyed the skits with Aykroyd and Curtain where he would be promoting dangerous things for kids for sale, and then rebuff her for the so-called non-dangerous things she would promote.

JediJones and Matthew Tate like this.