Which movie did you turn off within 15 minutes?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Speedmaster, Feb 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I laughed at "We thought you were dead!" Lines and plot points stolen from The Lion King.

caracallac likes this.
  2. Anything from Marvell, DC, or Adam Sandler!

3. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Or he's just really confident.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You bailed too soon - that's a good movie!

Light Of My Life [Blu-Ray] (2019)

DHamilton and vegafleet like this.
  5. Oatsdad

I agree with you that movies don't need to slavishly adhere to sources, but the 1st 2 Thor movies hit a happy medium.

That Thor was still serious but not a stiff - same as Evans' Cap. Hemsworth and Evans captured their roles' inherent qualities but still gave them charisma enough to ensure they didn't come across as dull or one-dimensional.

"Ragnarok" just went too far toward "Goofball Thor" - and then we got "Lebowski Thor"! :sigh:

vegafleet and Pete Puma like this.
  6. I thought that might be possible, but I was in no mood this weekend. I'll give it another try later this week.

7. Oatsdad

Wow - so you know you hate those movies but you continue to watch them anyway?

And you then always turn off each one within 15 minutes?

:rolleyes:

8. Oatsdad

As my review notes, the film does have a very deliberate pace, and I understand how the scene that turned you off might seem superfluous/dull.

But it pays off eventually.

I'm sure your mood does make a difference. If you're not in the mood for that kind of story, it'll be tough sledding!

9. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

The Rutles 2: Can't Buy Me Lunch. After a long, drawn-out, and painfully unfunny masturbation joke delivered by Carrie Fisher, I knew it wasn't worth my time.

10. I hate those movies, but no I don't keep watching them.

Bluesman Mark and Nakamichi like this.
  11. To be fair, if you made only one joke about a Hallmark movie you would also cover every Hallmark movie made.

12. While there are a number of movies I have not enjoyed, I am not a "walk out" type of person when it comes to movies.
    I will stick it out to the bitter end...probably secretly hoping it will get better, but usually finding out it did NOT get better....DOH!
    I mentally check out rather than physically leave. This happens because I am usually with someone else so I can't bail on them even if the movie desreves it.

There are some movies I now avoid, after having watched enough to know better...like Hallmark movies. I just don't like the ultra predictable nature of these movies, even if there is nothing "wrong" with them. This means I don't even start the movie, so there is no "walking out."

Of the movies I almost walked out on...that I can remember anyway.
    Atomic Blonde.
    Happy Feet.
    And of course some of the super cheesy "B" movies from years gone by....MAN some of those are really bad.
    Like "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians"....almost torture...still watched to the bitter end.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The first three years of "Netflix Originals" and counting...

14. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Birdman!!

dunkoid, unclefred, DHamilton and 3 others like this.
  15. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

A Million Ways To Die In The West

jerol

16. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Embarrassingly pathetic.

DHamilton, caracallac and Ghostworld like this.
  17. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

Hitch - threw it in the garbage too (goodwill purchase)

Lightworker and Ghostworld like this.
  18. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. It probably doesn't help that I know nothing about Hunter S Thompson and have little interest to inform myself. I do like Terry Gilliam generally though.

19. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

No. WWZ is a big miss.
    My last walk out film should have been Tenet. What a pile of malarkey. Big big fan of Inception but this is not that

unclefred likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

So why post in this thread?

The thread is about movies you started to watch and bailed, not movies you refused to watch in the first place...

Chris DeVoe and DHamilton like this.
  21. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Incredibly...

Vertigo

:eek:

So slow...

Then a year later I watched the whole thing, and discovered that it's maybe the best movie EVER.

22. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

I was able to suffer through it somehow, and still consider it worth seeing for I Want To Hold Your Hand - the teen angst & yearning!!!

23. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I don’t, because you never know. I’ve seen plenty of movies that start slow or dull and then turn it around.

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  24. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Another 60's film with a Beatle in it that qualifies is Candy. It took several years, along with a lot of false starts and stops, before I could actually work all the way through it (just to say that I had). Terrible film, redeemed only by its soundtrack, and Douglas Trumbull's effects.

The weird thing about it though, is if you were to watch the opening five minutes with Trumbull's effects up until the stylish opening title card, then walk out of the room, and then stumble back in during the final sequence, which segues into yet again more of Trumbull's special effects, along with Child of The Universe playing over the closing credits, you might be mistaken in believing that you had missed out on something incredibly profound in between. Sadly, as anyone knows whose watched the film, that's anything but the case.

:sigh:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    Ghostworld likes this.
  25. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

"La La Land." How was that a winner :confused:. More recently "Mank," as someone mentioned already, just didn't feel authentic in the least.

Ghostworld likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.