Amazon AU price watch thread...

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Jimmy Agates, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Big Swifty

Big Swifty Forum Resident

jɑmbo and Aussie pressing like this.
  2. Big Swifty

Bonddm, croquetlawns and Frightwig like this.
  3. westcj

westcj I'm like a wombat on the rampage

Big Swifty likes this.
  4. Frightwig

Frightwig Forum Resident

5. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

Bonddm and croquetlawns like this.
  6. westcj

croquetlawns likes this.
  7. attfiecz

attfiecz Forum Resident

Frightwig likes this.
  8. westcj

9. Big Swifty

Frightwig likes this.
  10. westcj

This country boy visited Melbourne today - and killed some time in JB Hi FI, bloody hell, some of their records are expensive: $125 for a three LP Sunbury 73 set- who would be stupid enough to pay that price?

ispace and Jimmy Agates like this.
  11. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I saw that today in Goldmine. I laughed so hard I had to leave.

12. Big Swifty

13. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

14. westcj

LOL, I would have bought their entire stock if it was $8.92!

Sigma6 and croquetlawns like this.
  15. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Twice the price - had a mate who went in to the one in Carindale in Bris to have a look at the The Hendrix at Maui set - $125!!

Its 60 on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com.au/Live-Maui...ds=hendrix+maui&qid=1612688586&s=music&sr=1-1

westcj and croquetlawns like this.
  16. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I think it's a bit unfair to criticise JB HiFi as they are, by and large, using the prices set by the local arm of the record label and Amazon source from the US/UK etc where the labels have used a more competitive rrp.

croquetlawns likes this.
  17. westcj

ispace and Easy-E like this.
  18. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR Thread Starter

19. westcj

Yes I agree, we should not be to comparing Australian Amazon to US/UK Amazon with much bigger markets and corresponding economies of scale . However in regard to the Sunbury 73 set , to charge $125 for three records is bloody expensive, but good luck to JB Hi Fi if customers are stupid enough to pay that price.

The question I would ask is , how much does it cost to manufacture a three record set such as Sunbury '73 , given that there are no recording costs?

iloveguitars and Jimmy Agates like this.
  20. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR Thread Starter

Agree. For example the Whitesnake Love Songs compilation CD is $24 on Warner Australia but retailed at $24.99 at JB's so minimal extra mark-up. The vinyl was $100 compared to $110 at JB's and no shipping when you get it instore so.....

I know JB's make minimal mark-ups on CD and vinyl in fact thats the reason they sorta cut down on the space they have for them - selling one TV or fridge makes the same as selling 20 or 30 cds or vinyl.....

scobb and croquetlawns like this.
  21. Aussie pressing

Aussie pressing Forum Resident

westcj and Frightwig like this.
  22. Frightwig

Frightwig Forum Resident

Aussie pressing likes this.
  23. mdm1979

mdm1979 Forum Resident

westcj and croquetlawns like this.
  24. westcj

Record pricing has got me curious now. I investigated online and a Melbourne company called Impress Vinyl quoted for 12-inch vinyl, 150GSM Black Vinyl, full colour labels, unprinted inner sleeve, full colour outer sleeve with 3mm spine and a resealable cello bag. One thousand units would cost $6,350 + $200 for a test pressing. So roughly $6.35 each for a stock standard LP (this was 2019 pricing). This of course does not include recording costs, advertising, distribution , royalties, artwork design costs etc.

So for the three record, red vinyl Sunbury '73 reissue with a gatefold sleeve, manufacturing costs will be more , but will not attract the costs associated with a newly recorded release.

A $125 retail price still seems to have room for a large profit margin - which is not a problem if customers are silly enough to pay that price.

I don't want to imply that JB are the villains here, after the record company and distributer have added their mark up, JB could be paying $90 -$100 for the record.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    Easy-E likes this.
  25. Glam77

Glam77 Forum Resident