Which movie did you turn off within 15 minutes?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Speedmaster, Feb 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Exactly. The films I mentioned earlier were ones that looked like dogs early but that got much better as they went.

Honestly, the only reason I could imagine I'd bail on a movie after 15 minutes would be if it really offended me.

Or if it make me motion sick, though that's really only an issue on a big screen. Movies with relentless shakycam give me nausea and I literally can't watch them...

2. Oatsdad

But if you only watched <15 minutes of the movie, how would you know it wasn't award-worthy?

3. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I don't. I just found it cloying and the protagonist had horrible taste in jazz. Why does anyone turn a movie off? Silly reasons probably...

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  4. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

I probably need to check out Atomic Blonde. I really enjoyed Happy Feet and Avatar.

danasgoodstuff and Speedmaster like this.
  5. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

I didn't make it through Yesterday. I gave it about 30 minutes I think. That was at home though, if I go to a theater I stay for the whole movie.

Paper Shark and Shoes1916 like this.
  6. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Reminds me of this quote:

"No good movie is too long and no bad movie is short enough." - Roger Ebert

7. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own Thread Starter

With you on that one, they wanted quantity, not quality. But there were a few exceptions. Win It All comes to mind.

True in some cases, but for most: if it isn’t happening the first 15 minutes, it probably won’t at all

I so agree, that whole shaky cam thing is killing cinema. It’s also used a lot to mask badly staged scenes. If a director is confident enough to show you his actors, he’ll use a steady medium or wide shot, with long takes. Say what you want about John Wick, but at least you can see what’s happening. And you can see they put in the work.

:), I see what you did there.
    What I said about John Wick goes for Atomic Blonde as well. I can appreciate the effort and the respect for the audience with the stunt scenes.

hi_watt and leeroy jenkins like this.
  8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

The Beatles music, as we knew it from the original albums, evolved over years. Taken as a a single unit of work, it would not seem cohesive.

While I like all of the songs in their original form, after more than a half century of listening to them, they can get stale.

I thought the songs and their arrangements in the movie were performed and arranged ever so well. I enjoyed both the movie and the soundtrack.

9. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

That was one of my favorites...

Shoes1916 likes this.
  10. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Hmmm.

Maybe it's going to be a cult film, or maybe it already is...

It was just so incoherent, or maybe I was expecting something quite different from what I saw; if the entire movie was as good as that one sequence...!!!

11. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I can only recall 3 films I turned off and never finished watching.

Magnolia - I made it all the way to the scene where it rains frogs. I was barely tolerating it to that point, and that just set me over the edge.

Punch Drunk Love - It's possible I don't care for Paul Thomas Anderson's early-ish films, I was kind of meh on Boogie Nights as well, but saw that one through. PDL was just terrible, and I probably turned it off after 20 minutes.

Begotten - One I quit watching for an entirely different reason. Probably the most scared I had ever been seeing a movie. I won't go into details, but the opening scene creeped me out more than I needed to be. I'll never try and re-watch this one.

hi_watt and GLENN like this.
  12. Oatsdad

I'm not a fan of "La La Land" and think it didn't deserve various awards.

But I did watch the whole movie to come to that determination! ;)

George Blair likes this.
  13. Oatsdad

I thought it was sporadically entertaining but not consistently good:

Atomic Blonde [Blu-Ray] (2017)

14. Oatsdad

I actually think hardcore shakycam is on the decline - I don't see it as often as maybe 10 years ago.

There's still plenty of handheld, but I differentiate between "regular" handheld and nausea-inducing shakycam! :)

15. Pampered Menial

Pampered Menial Forum Resident

Sick Girl (2008). I probably got about 20 minutes in before turning it off. That was over a year ago now. I still haven't finished watching it.

Lazy. Bad writing. Bad acting. Hideous, ultra-gritty, high contrast visual "enhancement" a la 300. Absolute annoying boredom. Purely for surface-dwelling edgelord teenagers and the easily amused (or is it easily disturbed?). I guess I'm jaded, but I have very low tolerance for independent crap that only manages to be a worse imitation of big-budget crap with a few less restrictions on violence, nudity and foul language at best.

Why are so many horror writers, filmmakers and fans so undemanding? It's extremely disappointing to sift through so much dreck as someone who appreciates the weird, the suspenseful, the decadent and the grotesque. I'd like to think of myself as a horror fan, but so much of it is utter crap. Maybe I should give it a fair shake and watch the whole film, but SG seems like a prime example of what I'm talking about.

PSA: Slasher films suck. All the good, interesting and worthwhile ideas in such films were explored a long time ago. The world does not need any more of them. Especially not the "ironic", "funny" D-grade production company variety. I'm so tired of people using intentionally bad humor and low budget aesthetics as an excuse to be creatively lazy. But the consumers who prop up this dog**** industry up are just as much to blame.

McLover likes this.
  16. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I don't entirely agree with that. I remember feeling a bit restless roughly 3/4 of the way through Gone With the Wind, Lawrence of Arabia and Gandhi;
    however, I definitely did not feel that way watching Schindler's List.

17. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

It would be harder for me to list movies I did not delete within 15 minutes. Not because I have refined taste, but because most movies suck.

hanleyp and Ghostworld like this.
  18. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Probably dozens. it's hard to remember any but I do remember the terrible Steve Martin Pink Panther, mentioned above.
    Anything with quirky and teen involved will not get a look from me.

McLover, Pete Puma and Ghostworld like this.
  19. unclefred

I think I went half an hour or so. At least he wasn't in love with a fish man.

20. unclefred

Under 15 minutes for me I think.

21. I thought Motherless Brooklyn was brilliant, a writing, directing, and acting tour-de-force by Edward Norton. YMMV.
    In fact, I guess it did.

gonz likes this.
  22. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Agree to disagree. I used to professionally write movie reviews for a newspaper chain. I had to go see a lot of movies I wouldn’t normally sit through. Many surprised me. I feel your 15 minute rule is flawed. Most films are still setting up their story. And since you stopped watching, you honestly don’t know how many of those movies got good.

Granted, I’ve seen my share of bad movies. But constantly giving up on a flick after 15 minutes adds up faster than watching a movie through.

There’s no perfect system. I’m glad you’re happy with yours but your statement doesn’t match my experience. Actually, I’ve more often enjoyed movies until the final 15 minutes when a bad idea is used for its finale. lol!

23. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I watched some 90s Blaxploitation movie that was so stupid that I turned it on in five minutes.

Ghostworld likes this.
  24. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

More than fifteen, but I couldn't make it thirty minutes into Reservoir Dogs and I tried twice. It was so stupid it made my stomach hurt. Sorry, fans.

Motorcity supernaut likes this.
  25. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Exactly, I pretty much watch everything until the end. I can only remember bailing on one movie, Baseketball, and that was after about 1 hour. 15 minutes is way too quick to pull the chute. Even if you really dislike a movie, you have no idea if a payoff is coming that'll make you reconsider your stance. And 15 minutes, I mean, IMO that's just not enough time to decide if you like a movie or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.