Pink Floyd ‎– The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn - Stereo vs. Mono?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Skull, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Skull

Skull Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a friend that says these two versions are like night and day. Is this true? What song is this the most prevalent on and what should I be paying attention to?

Thanks! :laugh:

2. Brewmeister

Brewmeister Forum Resident

I like the moving stereo and the end of Intersteller Overdrive. It to me creates the impression of a helicopter propeller whirling.

3. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

Yes there are many mixing differences between the two. Astronomy and The Gnome are most obvious. I prefer Interstellar in Mono but that’s because the panning that is liked by many leaves me distracted.

anth67, Billy Infinity, scobb and 4 others like this.
  4. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

Not my video but will get you started.

5. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I have always thought that the stereo mix was a lot more shrill in the high end. I haven’t played it in a while, but the mono version seems to be more “even”.

6. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Stereo.

Mono squashes too many of the flourishes.

7. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Stereo. Psychedelic rock is meant to be heard in stereo

8. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

depends upon my mood... love both, though... grew up with the stereo and used to trip to it a lot, especially Interstellar - that outro panning was outrageous under the influence! The mono is punchier and they sound more like a rock band than a twee psych band...

9. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

the mono mix ❨on original vinyl❩ has far more power and sonic punch than any stereo mix, regardless of whichever mix one may prefer

10. Trixmay 988

Trixmay 988 Demere's Dreams

The stereo is too bright. Maybe bright's the wrong word, but it's top-end heavy in a way that isn't all that pleasant. That being said, I vastly prefer it to the little I've heard of the mono, but that's justbecause I'm a stereo kind of guy.
    Flaming is a good example of how damn different the mixes are. The drums are too loud and the Richard Wright is much more prominent on the mono. The stereo one feels much more spacious, sparse and, well, psychedelic, in its own way. The mono typically sounds fuller and more focused. They're both great for different reasons.

Big Pasi likes this.
  11. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Both mixes are essential.

12. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Same can be said for the stereo and mono Saucerful of Secrets

13. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

I think the Mono is superior

14. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I prefer psychedelia in stereo.

I recently was able to compare UK one vs two box issues and felt the later had some added reverb. Surprised me.
    I now own the one box.

15. Philip Gruber

Philip Gruber Forum Resident

I think one needs both mixes as there is no denying that the mono is more inyerface and has a power that the stereo doesn't... it was the mix the band worked on plus there are odd little elements that are missing from the stereo. The stereo mix is sometimes clumsy and has questionable mixing but given the weirdness and complexity of the music, it does come to life.

Only one track is a complete dud in mono for my liking - Bike. It's so off the wall it can only work in stereo for me!

YardByrd likes this.
  16. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Mono. Just like Pepper, for me Piper is better experienced in mono.

17. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Both, of course.

Better in mono
    • Lucifer Sam
    • Matilda Mother
    • Pow R. Toc H.
    • Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk
    • The Gnome
    • Chapter 24
    • The Scarecrow
    Better in stereo
    • Astronomy Domine
    • Flaming
    • Bike
    Tie
    • Interstellar Overdrive (stereo gets off to a better start, better balance, but falls apart at the end)
    Generally speaking, the mono mixes are drier, with better balance between the rhythm section and vocals. The three stereo tracks I cite are preferred because they omit some bad phasing attempts that spoil the mono versions.

The stereo mix has its charms, though. My biggest complaint is the overuse of smeary reverb over most of it.

18. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

This album kills in mono, especially Astronomy Domine and the two instrumental tracks.

19. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

I was going to say the same, get both!

sharedon, CliffL and Platterpus like this.
  20. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

The only wrong choice is to not have this record in any form.

GreenFuz, YardByrd, Walt and 20 others like this.
  21. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

I like both, but I give the edge to the mono.

YardByrd and Crimson Witch like this.
  22. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Great summation! :righton:
    I'm going to listen to your 'comp' when I get home!

23. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Stereo - me from the first time I heard it (around the age of 7 when it hooked me) until I was around 25 and heard...

Mono - which has become my go to for nearly two decades since. Love everything about it.

Neither answer is wrong, though: the record really is so perfect that I change it up on a whim and don’t feel like I’m missing out. I’m still listening to Piper!

(I am way more stodgy about mono/stereo battles elsewhere, but this is friggin’ PATGOD, so... any port in a storm, right?)

24. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Stereo but this could be debated on a song to song bases. I seem to remember “Flaming” sounding better on the mono... not sure why. True, the stereo allows the album to fully fill the soundscape, and it appears this was the intention.

25. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Wrong. All the greatest psychedelic rock albums have highly prized mono mixes. Mono ruled the psychedelic era, stereo ruled the 70's.

Personally I like both mixes of Piper but the mono mix is preferable, especially for Astronomy Domine, Lucifer Sam, Flaming and Interstellar Overdrive (that panning at the end of the stereo mix is pure cheese).