JBL is reissuing the classic L100 speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Monsieur Gadbois, Aug 14, 2018.

1. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

I don't know that but your Avatar rocks.
    Back to topic... I own the L100 classic and I don't really think they are especially good with rock music. They are good with rock but to me it's not a standout feature. They are very good with percussion and dynamics though, that's where I would rate them highly. Also, if somebody loves a boomy bass I would not recommend them to that person.

2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Is it possible the L82 actually sound better? Judging by videos and reviews get the impression a tighter sound with sufficient bass. Also claims they disappear due to their sound staging properties. More neutral sound. The L82 is much more affordable in UK with the price under £2K incl VAT. The L100 is twice the price. I do think they have stiff competition from cheaper models these days at under £1500. Even the L100 sized JBL 4312G at L82 price.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    MC Rag likes this.
  3. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

If you have boomy bass you have not set them up properly or your room is too small for them...

JBL's need good power to keep them under control, 100W+ Your Cambridge Audio CXA60 is not really good enough for L100's.

A $499 amp and $4000 speakers!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    Standingstones likes this.
  4. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

Only you can be the judge of that, what size room do you have? I have not heard the L100's so cannot give you any feedback, all I can say is my L82's are perfectly balanced across the frequency range, they certainly do not have boomy bass, it is taught and fast just like I like it!

Most UK dealers are now happy to lend out speakers for a week or so for home demo...

MC Rag likes this.
  5. tagomago

I did not say I have a boomy bass, I actually meant the opposite.
    You are correct that the amp could be improved (was 1000$ originally), but I bought the speakers a year ago and could not afford an expensive amp right away.
    But because these speaker will probably last a lifetime I can buy an amp as soon as I want to.
    It actually sounds great as it is right now.

Monty12 and Fruff76 like this.
  6. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

My mistake sorry, the speakers will just sound better and better as you upgrade your front end!

tagomago likes this.
  7. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

There guys have L100's and stands for 2999:-

JBL L100 Classic Plus Stand | Orange Grille | Save £1,324 | Soundstage

Monsieur Gadbois, krambigmac and Bill like this.
  8. tagomago

I bet!
    One day, I might be able to buy a McIntosh, Accuphase or Luxman amp. But not yet. I bought a Martin guitar and a used Fender Deluxe reverb. I already spend too much on gear anyway :laugh:

Monsieur Gadbois and Fruff76 like this.
  9. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

What Martin did you get? I still have my Martin 000-28EC I purchased in the late 90's, fantastic instruments.

10. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Monsieur Gadbois and krambigmac like this.
  11. cbucki

cbucki Forum Resident

I've absolutely lost all of the zeal I had to compare (or replace) my L100 Classics for another brand. I don't see the benefits after further review.

I'm now thinking that the L82 might be the optimal fit for my current listening situation (room, placement, volume level). I really don't need the benefits if the 12" woofer with neighbors below me, and I could use the extra real estate from the smaller footprint of the L82.

Seems like a plan...

MC Rag, DavidR and Fruff76 like this.
  12. tagomago

HD-28 love it. Like the speakers, a once in a lifetime purchase (theoretically haha)

DavidR likes this.
  13. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I have both, L100 for my listening room and L82 for my office.
    See the wire that is on the floor behind the orange grill in front of the cat bowls?
    It extends under the rug at the bottom of the stairs comes out right behind Draco (the cat) turns around the post behind goes to the office unit.
    On the other end are a pair of JBL Arena 170 for the bedroom. No radio worth listening to around here so I load the 5 disc and dream away.
    [​IMG]

14. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

Woww, what do you think of the L82's vs L100's? I know many people on this thread would be interested!

Wish I could afford both!

Alright4now, MC Rag and Bill like this.
  15. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Is that table in the far right of the photo , with the LP's, a Lane item? Props for the Wild Turkey bar mat too. My very good friend would be mighty impressed.
    Does your cat ever treat the spines of your records as a prime scratching medium? I keep my records behind windowed doors for that reason.

16. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

A Yamaha A-S801 drives the L82 and a Marantz SA-KI Ruby for the L100
    Initially the L82 setup sounds best but on comparison the L100 setup gives greater detail,
    The L100s are breathtaking.
    If I was on a budget I could live the rest of my life with the L82 and the Yamaha amp.
    I'd advise hard rockers to get the L82
    I play a lot of acoustic jazz and the L100 are perfect
    What's a Lane item?
    The Four Roses Bourbon bar mat is covered

Fruff76 likes this.
  17. aunitedlemon

Lane is a North American furniture manufacturer, est. 1912. They've made some rather nice pieces. I especially like some of their mid-century tables.
    Four Roses is more my style. Been really enjoying their "Small Batch" bottling. Dash of orange bitters... yes!

18. aunitedlemon

L82's w/ an 801 here too. Excellent together. My L82's are still rather fresh but I'm already convinced they're going to bring me a lot of smiles.

MC Rag, Fruff76 and SunSon like this.
  19. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

It's not a table, it holds LPs, I found it on the web somewhere. A Man in Los Angeles makes them.
    Here's a couple of pics
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

With the 75th anniversary L100 teak finish who would be up for other different woods finishes, and possibly different grill colours, or is that a step too far from the originals, thoughts on this.

SunSon likes this.
  21. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

I run my L82 with a Ruby amp, a great pairing, have you tried the Ruby on the L82's?

MC Rag likes this.
  22. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I would like some new grill colors,
    heck even new grill colours!
    [​IMG]

23. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I should but still to new to play around with. I will one day.:agree:
    Also not fair comparing the two speakers with different amps.

24. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

I would kill for some L82s with a light oak finish...

swintonlion likes this.
  25. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member Thread Starter

:eek:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...dspeakers-local-pickup-delivery-only.1057994/