What stereo gear are you planning to purchase in 2021?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Dec 4, 2020.

1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

check db tubes in Quebec.

Khorn likes this.
  2. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated. It’s going to be an adventure deciding what to get that will fit my particular system and taste.

3. Zonq

Zonq New Member

New forum member, a new year and a new DAC.. Chord Qutest. Glorious.

Art K, Khorn and Harris11235 like this.
  4. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Welcome, congrats on new DAC. Enjoy

5. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Well I was going to post an Ayre KX-5 Twenty the other day but I just crossed that one off my list and will have it later this week :) So next will be a PS Audio Power Regenerator for source components. Not sure which model yet though.

Rick58 likes this.
  6. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

Found a cd player I've been looking for,,for years. A Arcam cd 23T and bought it.

Rick58 and JorgeGvb like this.
  7. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

What was it about this particular CD player that interested you so much?

8. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

Possibly a modest streaming DAC upgrade for my computer system. I currently use an original HRT Streamer and it is probably time to move on.

Otherwise, I am not planning to make a purchase. My focus is on using the equipment I on hand, and having some pieces restored or repaired.

Now if I find a good used bargain.......

9. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Well, waiting for the Niagara 1200 to come back into stock as it appears they've been on a national back order for some time made me think. So I gave a look at the Furman Elite 15i which was a few hundred less expensive and very feature oriented, I thought I might go a little upmarket and checked out the Furman IT Reference 15i which is based on an isolation transformer and is probably the best way to go. At between $2600 and $2800 though I thought to myself I really like records and I like to play them as much as I want which presumes I'll need a phono cartridge again in a year or so there are better things I can do with the cash. There were others I took a passing glance at, McIntosh's Power Controller, the more expensive Audioquest Niargara 3000 and even a Torus. Poking around the internet I ran across Panamax which I've seen displayed at Best Buy but passed them by since I though I wanted to get away from power conditioners that were totally sacrificial. But I've been using an Adcom ACE 515 A/C Enhancer for the last 26 years that uses MOVs and it's never taken a hit big enough to turn it into a doorstop. Also the Panamax' were on sale. I decided to investigate the top two models, the most expensive the M5400-PM included voltage regulation and according to Panamax if you don't have trouble with line voltage fluctuations you don't need it so I focused on the M5300-PM which has all the same features without the regulation. Turns out this unit is well featured, has unfiltered high current outlets (for amps) and individually filtered and switched and un-switched outlets and also some readouts that might be considered superfluous for voltage and amperage. So, for less than $600 including tax I went online and paid for one and then went to pick it up. Though it was very easy to set up it forced me to rearrange some component locations, namely my phono stage and Neo PSU and disconnect and rerun all of my equipment's interconnects and power cords. It was worth it as all the wiring back there was getting out of hand and was creating avenues for noise to potentially get into the system.

There may be a lot of controversy around the efficacy of components such as powerline conditioners but I found the results of adding this one quite startling. The first record I put on was an Analog Production 2 x 45 Blue Note Of John Patton's - Here Comes John and the first thing I noticed before I even reached my listening spot was the presence of his Hammond B3 as if it was firmly anchored center stage between the speakers. Fred Jackson's and Harold Vick's saxophones were beautifully resolved and when Ben Dixon's drums came in the shimmer and decay of his cymbal strikes had a delicately metallic ring. Grant Green's guitar was present and clear with each individual note having a very tangible presence.

I've listened to some very beautiful records since I brought this powerline conditioner home and I continue to be impressed. Yesterday I listened to a CD remaster of Joni Michell's - Don Juan's Reckless Daughter and as totally enthralled, today it was the Pure Pleasure double LP of The Clifford Jordan Quartet's Glass Bead Games. Each record I'm listening to the soundstage is wider, the imaging is more vivid and the presentation is more atmospheric.
    [​IMG]

Your mileage may vary.

Tlay likes this.
  10. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

You hear anything yet? Yours is about 5 weeks out now, so guessing mine will be at least that long.

11. Sebastian Koldrup

Sebastian Koldrup Senior Member

I really could do with a new amp purchase. I think I want to go vintage. Any recommendations welcome.

12. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Posting your present system would help folks respond more helpfully.

13. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

Nothing yet. I’m getting antsy. I see that the Ares Magnum is in stock and ready to ship at AA. Very tempting, and would probably arrive before the amp.

TheIncredibleHoke likes this.
  14. TheIncredibleHoke

Dang, I was hoping you had received and were just to enthralled to post!

15. SACripps

SACripps Forum Resident

Now that my Wharfedale Delta 30 speakers are now 30 (maybe 31) years old, I guess I should be thinking about replacing them... I got my Rotel RP855 on the same day and I'm holding on to that for good.

Rick58 and Andy Saunders like this.
  16. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

And budget.

Clay B likes this.
  17. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

LUXMAN EQ-500 phono stage
    BOWERS & WILKINS 702 SE speaker system
    NESSIE Vinylmaster record cleaning machine

18. Jim N.

Jim N. Just another day in what was once Paradise...

Trying to choose between these headphone amps to compliment my Auralic Taurus Mk II:

Amps and Sound Kenzie OG (new)
    ZMF Pendant (new)
    Decware CSP3 (with XLR)(new)

or a cheaper new route:
    Quicksilver

or used:
    Cavalli Liquid Fire

Pulling the trigger this week.

19. Mike31853

Mike31853 Active Member

Hopefully a Primaluna Evo 400 or Pathos Logos MKII

Rick58, LeeS and Andy Saunders like this.
  20. Harris11235

I called Rogue Audio today and talked to Mark (owner). He said my amp was scheduled to be built tomorrow. I asked him about a resistor and capacitor upgrade I read about on another thread here, and he's going to add that in for a nominal charge. He said it takes the transparency up a notch, but it's not a gigantic difference. He also said he'd make the upgrade if it was his own amp, but he wouldn't worry about what was missing if it was already shipped. It could also be upgraded some other time in the future (but then you'd have to mess with shipping).

He's a good dude, and he's fun to talk to. I was already excited about the amp, but I'm more excited now. I like doing business with small businesses and down to earth people. Dollars well spent.

Should be here sometime next week.

Rick58, adamos, No Static and 2 others like this.
  21. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

save some $ for 3 12au7 and 2 12ax7 tubes for a truly transformational upgrade...

Rick58 and Harris11235 like this.
  22. TheIncredibleHoke

Awesome news! That means mine shouldn’t be too far behind. Tomorrow is 5 weeks out for me - not that I’m counting.

That’s also one of the reasons I went with Rogue - love that it’s built in the US by good people that you can just call up and talk to on the phone.

Can’t wait to har how you like it.

Rick58 and Harris11235 like this.
  23. Harris11235

I started to ask him about tube upgrades and he (rightly) suggested that I spend some time with it and give him another call to discuss how I'm looking to tune the sound. I plan to do exactly that.

With that said, I value your input and I'd like to hear any suggestions you have. I'm aiming for as much fullness, warmth and bloom as possible without losing drive and dynamics. I know those are kind of competing concepts, but I'm convinced it's possible reading some other threads around here.

The CMIII will be partnered with Forte IIIs, a Nottingham Ace Spacedeck/Hana SH, and a Project Tube Box DS with Tung-Sols based on your recommendation (sounding great, BTW - thank you!), and Forte IIIs. There's an Aries Magnum in my not-too-distant future.

Rick58 and TheIncredibleHoke like this.
  24. Harris11235

Me either! I'm excited!

Rick58 and TheIncredibleHoke like this.
  25. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Heading down the digital nervosa rabbit holes :) Because... bored.

First up will be optical network isolation - just a couple optical/fiber multimode converters to sit between my switch and my HQPlayer endpoint. Even if it offers zero gain in SQ, it does serve as a lightning isolator which, for $50, I will gladly take.

Then it's an Ian Canada Raspberry Pi set of mods - LifePO4 battery power supply, FIFO reclocker, i2S board to do up to 512 DSD into my DAC.

Should be fun to muck around with, at any rate.

avanti1960 likes this.