Taschen 2021 -July 8–11 - Display Copy Sale 25%-75% Off *

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by stereoptic, Jan 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  2. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I was looking at this sale. I am a bit concerned about what display copy means. Display copies can be pretty beat up then the price is not so good.

stereoptic likes this.
  3. Gregalor

Gregalor Forum Resident

I’ve ordered many big expensive books from these Taschen sales over the last few years and I’ve never gotten anything less than impeccable condition.

stereoptic likes this.
  4. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Thanks good to know.

stereoptic likes this.
  5. stereoptic

The 3 books that I ordered looked brand new to me. The hardcovers were wrapped, had the paper covers and 'cracked' when opened. :thumbsup:

6. Expresbro

Expresbro Well-Known Member

I picked up the two Linda McCartney photography books and they are perfect. Beautiful books actually. Thanks for the tip off

stereoptic likes this.
  7. Son of Dork

Son of Dork Forum Resident

I ended up getting the 'Atlas of Human Anatomy' book and it's impressive (and arrived in perfect condition shrink-wrapped). I get the impression that when they say "Display" books they are referring to the size and quality of the books (not that they were display/floor copies in a store that were handled by the public). From what I gather, these are books that (on top of reading), you can also leave them out on tables etc to show them off (the Taschen site also sells stands for them). Either way, after seeing the quality of the book I ordered, I wish I ordered a few more (some of those Frank Lloyd Wright books looked nice). Thanks again to the OP for the heads-up - I'll be checking back on that site regularly for more sales.

Expresbro and stereoptic like this.
  8. stereoptic

I ordered the stand, but I haven't set it up yet. It should make it a bit easier to read the Little Nemo oversized collection.
    I could kick myself that I didn't wait (a month or so) for that Krazy Kat collection for $75, marked down from $200. I had just bought it for $150, third party, incorrectly guessing that it wouldn't be included in the upcoming sale.

I think that Taschen runs a similar sale in July. Heh, the free catalog is a quality piece itself!

hutlock and Son of Dork like this.
  9. Gregalor

Gregalor Forum Resident

A lot of their books could actually be used as tables. I’m actually about to move a bunch of them to my storage until because the coffee table really needs a break from them.

Son of Dork likes this.
  10. floyd

floyd Senior Member

The Frank Lloyd Wright book is very nice a great collection of photos and drawings covering his whole career. I have most FLLW books ever published and the big one Taschen has right now is very good.

Son of Dork likes this.
  11. hoffmanuser2020

hoffmanuser2020 Forum Resident

Taschen has a summer sale on July 8 - 11. Same conditions as before: 25-75% off on "display copies".

If any of you bought from the sale last time, how were the "display copies"? Were they shrink-wrapped? Mint condition?

stereoptic likes this.
  12. Gregalor

Gregalor Forum Resident

In shrink or custom box as always, and always mint. If they really are display copies, Taschen stores have the most well behaved customers in the world. You can definitely buy from these sales with confidence.

13. DapperGentleman

DapperGentleman Forum Resident

There are some great titles in this sale.

First off, those books that were originally $200? They are massive, heavy, enormous books for the most part. Check Amazon to get the weight. You can't just flop on y our couch and enjoy them, you have to plan ahead.

Here are a couple of titles I recommend. These, too, are big books. (The L.A. Noir is 7 pounds, the other two are 9 pounds each), but they are handsome and would make good gifts. Maybe stockpile now for Christmas?

Dark City. The Real Los Angeles Noir - TASCHEN Books

The History of Graphic Design. Vol. 1. 1890–1959 - TASCHEN Books

The History of Graphic Design. Vol. 2. 1960–Today - TASCHEN Books

======================================

PS: I had to laugh out loud when I saw a 3-star Amazon review of the Bjark Ingels Architecture title currently in Taschen's sale. This is a massive 730-page paperback book that weighs 5 pounds. These book guys are as bad as us record guys:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    black sheriff and stereoptic like this.
  14. hoffmanuser2020

I have several Taschen books, but I've bought them all via Amazon.

One thing I don't like about this Taschen sale is that you need a Taschen website account to order from them, and I don't like the idea of creating yet another online account. It seems like non-technology companies (e.g. retailers) are horrible at protecting customer info and passwords.

15. starfieldroad

starfieldroad chew up your love then swallow

fyi: you can be a one time buyer, you don't need an account

also: they're doing the sale again right now and there are some music titles in there.

stereoptic likes this.
  16. Comicsanstombstone

Comicsanstombstone Forum Resident

I picked up the Krazy Kat Sundays book (well, I bought it, picking it up may require a winch).

stereoptic likes this.
  17. stereoptic

I bought the large stand for the Krazy Kat and Little Nemo books. Now, I need a larger bookcase!

18. DapperGentleman

Taschen has added their huge Basquiat book to the sale This thing is ridiculous it's so big. It comes in its' own cardboard box.

Priced at $100, down from $200. Compare the 'value' to that Neil Young $100 reissue.

Jean-Michel Basquiat - TASCHEN Books

19. hoffmanuser2020

I find these Taschen books to be amazing for two reasons:

1. I know about the well-known painters, but there's a whole world of art and artists out there that I'm not aware of. That's all on me, of course.

2. There are a lot of painters from the Renaissance era that painted some pretty disturbing stuff. I'll stick with 20th century impressionism / post-impressionism, thank you.

20. hoffmanuser2020

Here's an email exchange I had with Taschen reps via email:

There is a note on your website saying that books on sale are "Display Copies". What does that mean? Are these book that are handled by customers in your stores? Or are they mint condition in shrink-wrap?

The books are display copies which have been handled by customers in the stores, or are otherwise imperfect in one way or another.

The majority of the books on your website are currently listed as "SALE". If I want to buy a brand new book (mint, not a "display copy" handled by customers), how would I specify that?

At the moment, it is not possible to order only new copies. Once the sale is over, you will be able to place an order for a new copy. This should be possible Monday morning.

21. DapperGentleman

I wouldn't worry about scuffed up books. I think someone else said they've never had a scuffed-up one. Me neither. BUT the postage costs are high, because some of the books are huge. It's not that much less expensive than Amazon sometimes.

Over the last year, how many bookstores were open? And how many had customers? And how many customers were thumbing through Taschen books? And do bookstores even accept returns anymore? I guess Taschen might be referring to store stock in their own stores but that must have sold by now - I'll bet you're buying new copies if you buy today.

22. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

I ordered a few books from one of these sales a few years ago and they all arrived sealed and in minty condition.

stereoptic and starfieldroad like this.
  23. Comicsanstombstone

Comicsanstombstone Forum Resident

My Taschen order arrived today. The gargantuan box on my doorstep briefly made me wonder what piece of furniture I'd ordered and forgotten about.

24. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

My order from two years ago was huge, too. I lived on the third floor in an apartment building and remember hearing the UPS driver panting as he brought up my order (four Crumb sketchbooks and that ginormous Bosch book they printed).

25. KazJY

KazJY Well-Known Member

That's awesome that they pack well. I only own one (James Bond Archives), but went to bed last Sunday night wondering if I should have bought something. Next time for sure. For those that ordered - same as the previous comments where you rec'd a shrink-wrapped / custom boxed item?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.