No 10 / 15% vinyl discounts at Acoustic Sounds or Music Direct

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Dino Rick, Feb 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino Rick

Dino Rick Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I was perusing the acoustic sounds website hoping for an early 15% vinyl discount for President's Day, but instead I found nothing. Not even the usual 10%. I went over to Music Direct and Elusive Disc and found the same vacancies.

I'm surprised because I could have sworn I saw 10% discounts just a few days ago on these sites.

I'm I missing something here? Bad browser behavior, maybe?

2. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I found the same thing. I was looking at Music Direct's site and noticed the 10%/15% off was missing. I then noticed the same for Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc.

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Elusive Disc was giving a break on shipping two weeks ago. I utilized that.

4. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

10% code still works on MD. I just tried it

5. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

You're right, the usual '10percent' does not work right now.

6. thatguy1976

thatguy1976 Forum Resident

I first noticed the code was removed at Acoustic Sounds on Friday morning. I thought maybe it was a glitch. Looks like this may be the new norm. Bummer. I now have less reason to shop at these sites so perhaps my wallet will thank me.

7. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I noticed it too. I was going to order the vinyl release of Marley's Songs of Freedom to see if the coupon would get it lower than Amazon. No coupon. It would have had to be 15% off, anyway. Maybe next week. Two holidays back-to-back. I might happen, right?

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I've noticed a lack of sales or codes from the online dealers this past month or two. Maybe they are doing really well with covid and need not discount right now. And once we get more vaccines jabbing, more folks out and about outside, we'll see them wanting us back.

I've had the two Japan Santana Quad 7" series SACDs in my cart for a while waiting for any sale. They are high priced discs and I really need a price break there. I can hold out, they don't sell out that fast.

9. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Either that or they’re struggling and holding off on coupons for use on holiday weekends or other special occasions. If they all slice their margins so thin it will be difficult to stay in business in the long run, so long as they’re not gouging on the other end of the price spectrum.

10. jlrchrds

jlrchrds Forum Resident

Yep, I just phoned Acoustic Sounds and it certainly isn't a mistake. I was clear that between the lost discount and sales tax collection, prices are effectively 20% higher for me. I also emailed them with the same assessment. In the end, this will change my buying habits. I'll probably move to only purchasing AP specific from them. I suppose some of this is inflation, but that's a big jump fast and I'm sure some of it is due to collectable sales while folks at stuck at home (lots of demand, so why not increase price). BUT thankfully I'm a long time collector and have a very large collection. I should probably slow down anyway. That's just a big price adjustment all in. I don't need any lectures on Sales and Use Tax. I feel the same about Amazon. Oh well. Moving right along.

11. Pali Gap

Well sales come and sales go. At Xmas they had a 15% off sale, which even applied to their AP titles (which was much appreciated!). And obviously they would prefer NOT to charge their customers sales tax if they could. Still a great company that actually cares, definitely worth supporting...

12. jlrchrds

jlrchrds Forum Resident

To be clear, that 10% off was up there for decade. It's a purchasing expectation at that point. So, I wouldn't call it a sale due to the duration, it was a purchase discount. They did away with their discount. Sales come and go, yes. This was different.

Canar and thatguy1976 like this.
  13. Pali Gap

I'll take your word for it. Although it was up to 15% off over the holidays. Anyways, if they see their sales drop I'm sure they'll reconsider.

thatguy1976 likes this.
  14. toddofx

toddofx Well-Known Member

That's too bad... I won't be ordering with no sales on anything. Even my local shops have many items below retail prices. Hopefully 15% comes back.

thatguy1976 likes this.
  15. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Back to the evil empire - Amazon.

16. SME12A

SME12A Takumi forever

Actually, I had to adjust my buying habits as well.....local discount stores and amazon will destroy AS operation in a long run.

For instance - target just had a promotion for records - buy 2 and get the 3rd for free!! SO I ordered whole set of half speed Bob Marley for $220 AND because I have loyalty card with Target, I got the extra 5% off which covered tax!

Same set at AS is $420 PLUS 6% tax.....amazon offers BETTER discount on Acoustic Sounds recent and future releases!!!! AND that includes pre-orders!!!!! What a joke!!! I hope AS knows what they are doing....I used to spent $$$ weekly on records with AS - now, Jeff Bezos will get my dollar....

https://www.amazon.com/Out-Cool-Ver...estra+-+Out+Of+The+Cool&qid=1613054107&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Genius-Soul-Verve-Acoustic-Sounds/dp/B08NM8T7WW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Ray+Charles+-+Genius+++Soul+=+Jazz&qid=1613054046&sr=8-1

Also, the beauty of shopping with Amazon is - any problem with noisy, damaged or warp record - I get replacement within day or two!!!

Acoustic Sounds customer service is IMPOSSIBLE to deal with recently. I have purchased Miles Davis limited edition 10" in November of 2020. Record is SUPER noisy on A-Side and perfect on B. I would like to have it ex-changed. I called them MANY times and left at least 10 voice messages. I also sent 15 emails....NOBODY got back to me!

Whatever issues they are having - they better get it straight because they will loos loyal customers....

BTW Music Direct 10% off still works: DMC10

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    jlrchrds likes this.
  17. toddofx

toddofx Well-Known Member

That's disappointing. I've had good responses from filling our their web form, but my last contact was probably early 2020.
    Vinyl Records, SACDs, DVD Audio, Audiophile Equipment|Acoustic Sounds
    Sometimes it takes a few days, but AS has always been super friendly and helpful with service. That being said, so are local stores and Amazon...

SME12A likes this.
  18. SME12A

SME12A Takumi forever

Yes, I have used that online form several times..I even used my work and wife's email to make sure its not my email account that is blocking them.....3.5 months so far and still counting....I will not get out of my way to replace $30 album but that is an issue and why I prefer amazon services - replaced in one-two days AND the defective product picked up by UPS from my doorsteps...no hassle and annoyement

19. teag

teag Forum Resident

Looks like the pandemic greed set in to these companies. I won't buy anything from them unless there is a discounts.

SME12A likes this.
  20. SME12A

SME12A Takumi forever

Same here however harsh it sounds - if they can discount their own album releases to amazon, they should pass the same lowered price to their loyal customers....meanwhile I checked careers section on Acoustic Sounds out of curiosity, to conclude that warehouse, full time position pays $10.25 an hour!!!! What a joke!! How can anybody supports themselves from such a low rate?

We are all being against huge conglomerate as Amazon but at least their starting rate is close to $15 with drivers in a $20-22 range.....perhaps the idea of family operated "good guy" expired....
    https://www.indeed.com/q-acoustic-sounds-l-67401-jobs.html

Strat-Mangler and teag like this.
  21. Pali Gap

You've turned this into a personal crusade against AS, a well-reputed company that produces amazing Lps, is known for it's great customer service, and cares about the quality of all their products.

Part of the reason other companies can't afford to pay their employees as much is because of Amazon! We all love Amazon, it simply makes life very difficult for most other retailers, that's the problem. It's a vicious cycle.

22. SME12A

SME12A Takumi forever

I spent serious amount of money at AS and still cannot replace the record purchased in November!!! I have a reason to be upset especially that this particular pressings is out of print by now.... what USED to be great service, went to dumpster in my eyes.. how do you explain that Acoustic Sounds own releases are MUCH cheaper on Amazon than on their own - AS website?

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  23. James Lovell

James Lovell Forum Resident

Except for special half speed releases I have found the used market very wallet friendly although you do spend a lot more time shopping.

SME12A likes this.
  24. Pali Gap

Everything is usually cheaper on Amazon, I'm not surprised. I don't know what kind of agreement they have.

SME12A likes this.
  25. SME12A

SME12A Takumi forever

Dont get me wrong, I used to enjoy shopping at AS and, as a matter of fact, they were my only new records outfit I visited and bought from.
    I did not spent a dime at Elusive disc or Music Direct as I particularly enjoyed flawless condition and speed of shipments. The shipping boxes were first rate and service top notch. I have most recently released Analogue Production pressings...and I TULY LOVE them!!!

Not sure whats happened to AS recently and I hope to have them back as my go-to- store soon but for now, amazon took their spot...

teag likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.