Which movie did you turn off within 15 minutes?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Speedmaster, Feb 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

You deleted your response because you read your Jason Stratham comments :D.

audiomixer likes this.
  2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

He got "caught" and he won't admit it. On top of it all, it’s not even his thread. He is the only one complaining. It’s so hard being perfect...:laugh:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    Brenald79 likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Nothing I said in that thread was a threadcrap. Negative comments in a broad thread about a movie - and its lead actor - aren't threadcraps.

You don't understand what a threadcrap is.

But now you'll argue you were right, blah blah blah. :rolleyes:

My only regret is indulging you and audiomixer your rants in the first place, so moving on! :wave:

4. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

“Bad Boys II”

We were starting work on a Michael Bay film as sound designer/sound FX/dialogue crew.
    We were tasked with watching some of his films before spotting with him to get an idea of his likes/dislikes etc.

We were being paid to watch it. I think half of us made it about 15 minutes.
    In his and my defense I did enjoy the famously goofy “Armageddon” and “The Rock”.

5. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

huh, ok then. what a weird thread, I'll see myself out.

6. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

"They're flying the tank!"

C'mon you know you loved that scene, lol

7. SirCandy

SirCandy Forum Resident

Ha!-That might've been the scene that caused me to turn it off ( if it happened in the first 5 minutes ).

ChazFromCali likes this.
  8. SirCandy

SirCandy Forum Resident

I agree- I seen way worse films than Waterworld. It's not a great film- basically just " Mad Max on water "- but I actually did watch the whole film. I think the bad press it got surrounding the budget impacted on the movie itself- as far as derivative films go- it's not the worst.

9. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

I saw a fan edit of Waterworld that was way better than the official release.

10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

If there was ever a film to not judge by the first 10 minutes it’s The Wolf’s Call. After that part it quickly turns into the best submarine thriller since The Hunt For Red October. It was my top film of 2019.

audiomixer likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

Sometimes it just becomes a form of "negative hype", and I think that happened with "Waterworld".

The movie was so expensive - $175m = about $300m now - and I think people also were ready to knock Costner down a peg.

Some movies get a rep that they were more popular/successful than they were, whereas others get viewed as bombs when they weren't! :shrug:

12. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

My mother turned off Monty Python "The Meaning Of Life" when we hired it out from the video store as kids. She returned it and complained to the shop proprieter about its content. :)

13. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I thought it was good. However The Postman was the one that did his career. Bad movie.

SirCandy likes this.
  14. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

The first Star Wars; I didn't even make it to 15 minutes, IIRC, it was around 10 minutes.
    It was on TV, and just confirmed that I was right to 'skip going to the theater' when it was released.
    I thought that it was even worse than I anticipated that it would be, and, of course, never bothered with any of the many follow-ups.

15. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Reminds me of seeing Ken Russell's great movie The Devils on campus in the 1980s, and of the 2 students who gave the projectionist an earful before leaving after they'd seen 20 minutes or so of it...

carrolls likes this.
  16. Never have, but two where I came close are Moulin Rouge and Scott Pilgrim vs The World. Both were actively irritating at the beginning, but I stuck it out and both improved a lot as they went on.

yesstiles likes this.
  17. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

Meet the Fockers, Little Fockers. I only enjoyed Meet The Parents; the subsequent titles set up the cringe factor for the rest of the trilogy for me.

Speedmaster likes this.
  18. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

Bounce with Ben Affleck. Absolute worst movie I've ever seen, turned it off probably after 10 mins. Son of the Mask is another one I turned off but I think I made it further through that one.

19. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Surprisingly enough, I couldn't make it past the first 10-15 minutes of the Scorsese Rolling Thunder Revue documentary. And I was really looking forward to it.

Harm1985 and JKCanuck like this.
  20. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

Damn, you must have really high standards to dislike one of the best and most culturally important films of all time.

yesstiles likes this.
  21. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own Thread Starter

I took your advice and sorry I did: I thought is was not even b-movie bad. Just plain bad.

22. I liked The Postman and Waterworld, flaws and all.

Dennis Metz and Lee Davis like this.
  23. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Sorry to hear you didn’t like it. Thanks for giving it a chance off my recommendation though.

24. Oatsdad

Michael Cera = nails/chalkboard.

SirCandy likes this.
  25. DLD

DLD Senior Member

There's tons of real stinkers, kind of like shooting pigeons in the park. I'll just throw a couple out there that have received high praise, Tarkovsky's Nostalgia, I was done right at the 15 minute mark. Also, one I finished I wished I'd bailed on, Once Upon A Time In Anatolia. One other comes to mind, I took a date to see a Man Called Horse. It was probably after 15 minutes but when they hung the dude by his nipples, my date and I fled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.