Ameoba.com 15% Off

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Thesmellofvinyl, Feb 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

THE website that literally has never had anything I've ever looked for, ever. Uncanny.

3. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Same.

4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Last time I went to Amoeba in L.A., I was surprised that they had a LOT of stuff that I was looking for - I was only there for a short while, but if I had more time to search the entire store, I'm sure I could have easily doubled or tripled my purchase. But it's clear most of their stock never gets listed online going by every time I've looked through it before and since.

faceinthecrowd and hutlock like this.
  5. Gregalor

Gregalor Forum Resident

Yeah, even common releases and new releases. It’s really strange, since it’s such a megastore in person.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Kind of defeats the purpose of having an online presence, really.

Their website is entirely useless. Since I'm not close to one of their stores, they'll never get a penny from me even though they certainly could if they'd address this huge problem.

7. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

Over the summer when they were asking for business i added FIVE different titles to the cart. I was prevented from checking out every time. All were out of stock. This also happened with a tshirt. I asked about it and the person said it was just how their system worked.

8. Muffinbutt

Muffinbutt Forum Resident

I’ve never been to LA but I heard great things about actual store. It’s not in same location anymore I believe, which I hate to hear for any record shop moving after being in same spot for decades

9. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

And i shld add that i typed this while wearing an amoeba hoodie.

i used to work a block from the hollywood shop and have been to the SF one several times. I love amoeba. If their site was better id for sure order more.

10. Gregalor

Gregalor Forum Resident

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  11. Muffinbutt

Muffinbutt Forum Resident

12. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

It really was great, I couldn't believe some of the vinyl treasures they had lining the walls. The selection was deeeeep, it was what you might expect a record store to be in a near-perfect world..

13. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member Thread Starter

The first time I visited LA, I landed at LAX, jumped into the rental car and headed straight there (with a brief detour to El Pollo Loco across the street; I had to have food before spending hours at the store).

When I posted this sale, I didn’t know the website was such a bummer. Several years ago it was different, and they shipped a hard-to-find (for me anyway, at the time) John Hiatt LP (Walk On) to me for $16.00.

DocShipe likes this.
  14. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I’ve only been to three locations in person (Berkeley being my favorite) but yeah, I found TONS of stuff there. It’s always puzzling and frustrating on their web site considering how solid the in-store experience was.

15. Gregalor

Gregalor Forum Resident

That’s Amoeba! Basically the Powell’s of music. The original SF store is disappointing when Hollywood is your store.

This might even be a downgrade. The now-old Hollywood location was like this but with two floors, with movies upstairs.

Music or movies, you can find pretty much anything at Amoeba. The first place to go for some out of print thing that’s hard to track down.

They have amazing listening stations, too. Pretty much every album has been ripped to what must be a massive in-store server. You can scan any barcode or do a search and the album pops right up to preview with some massive cans.

zongo likes this.
  16. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

I *love* Amoeba, the store.

But I've had issues with Amoeba, the website.

Mainly because fulfillment for their new vinyl is NOT done out of their store, but appears instead to be done out of the same giant clearinghouse in Kentucky that lots of places seem to use, and so quality assurance isn't always.....assured.

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.