Question about crystal record weight

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bogdanstanga, Feb 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bogdanstanga

Bogdanstanga Active Member Thread Starter

I’m currently using a regular record weight and it really works for me. Makes a noticeable improvement in sound.
    I have come across this nice record weight made out of crystal. And I love how it looks.
    But I couldn’t find any reviews online for crystal weights.
    I’m wondering if anyone here used one and if it’s good in terms of acoustics

2. aphexacid

aphexacid It’s not Hip Hop, it’s Electro.

I’d love to see this, you have a link? Sounds cool

3. Bogdanstanga

Bogdanstanga Active Member Thread Starter

doctor fuse likes this.
  4. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

[​IMG]

5. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

I bet it sounds like a million bucks. :)

6. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

Right now, it can sound like $49.59 with a price slash plus customs and additional processing charges. Provided it makes the trip from Guangdong.

How many hours do you get on a thing like that before the sound degrades and you have to replace it?

7. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

Wouldn't that depend on whether you had already optimised the Feng Shui of your listening room, and how close your turntable was to a ley line?

cloggedmind likes this.
  8. cloggedmind

After the power has been filtered and the gold-plated cables have warmed up, the dust lid has to be down and have no scratches that will interfere with the sonics, the lp has to have a 3 stage solution bath and adequate evaporation time, unless the humidity is less than 49% in which you actually have to let the record sit in an anti-static sleeve in a room with moisture-producing plants that have been treated with anti-mold-and-fungal spray so as to avoid contamination of the elliptical shibata (in the case of 180g vinyl) or the re-tipped ortofon for anything 40 years or older that hasn't previously exhibited sibilance, inner-groove distortion on the opening track, or been played on any suspect record changer not manufactured between the odd years on rainy days in the 1975-1981 time frame, so long as it has had good reviews in any respected hi-fi magazine that hasn't been in print for no less than 15 years. And you use the tube amp.

After it's warmed up for at least an hour.

9. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I wonder if there’s a chart somewhere to match up the resonant frequency of crystal to the platter mass.

cloggedmind likes this.
  10. cloggedmind

I'm going upstairs, now, to finish painting my chart to match up the resonant frequency of crystal-t0-platter mass, alright?
    [​IMG]

11. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Let me guess, new member - you're the seller of these??

12. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

Bling- bling.......I would stay away from it!

13. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Ensures crystal clear sound!

14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

All jokes aside, it probably works about the same as any other 400g record weight.

15. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident

I would shine a light on it in a darkened room when spinning "Saturday Night Fever" for that mirrored ball effect!

SeeDeeFirth, BillWojo and Aftermath like this.
  16. aphexacid

aphexacid It’s not Hip Hop, it’s Electro.

What can I say, I like shiny things :whistle:

doctor fuse likes this.
  17. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

For the money, you could get a center weight more massive than 400g with a smaller footprint for better compatibility with more records. But I guess it at least looks interesting.

I’ve had this 1lb center weight for over 10 years. Love it. Only complaint is that the brass tarnished very quickly - within months of owning it. I’d gladly buy another and look into a way of sealing it so it maintains its metallic sheen and doesn’t have the appearance of something salvaged from a shipwreck.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043KJAK...abc_7A1Z6ZD9W6NQ1ERG4YDQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If it is brass, try polishing it with Brasso. Most brass will eventually tarnish.

I used a Bren1 weight made of machined aluminum for a long time, but I use a Michell clamp now.

MrRom92 likes this.
  19. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I don’t think I will ever be able to polish it to anything resembling what it looked like out of the box. Just have to be a bit smarter about that fact going in if I ever pick up a new one!

20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Brasso is worth a try though. I don't think it's terribly expensive either. It might take a bit of elbow grease and more than one application to get it fully polished though.

MrRom92 likes this.
  21. Our OP has vanished; i guess you might be right.

LakeMountain and ayrehead like this.
  22. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

No gear listed in his profile page either.

23. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Crickets...

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  24. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

It gives me some hope anyway, that people arnt so gullible as to think the record weight material plays a role, its just mass.

Fishoutofwater and rcsrich like this.
  25. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I'm thinking a one pound glob of blu-tack would be perfect. Zero resonance!

Fishoutofwater and Leonthepro like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.