Jethro Tull - A (A La Mode edition) (3 CD / 3 DVD) - Steven Wilson remix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galeans, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

That could easily be. Arrangement and even structurally the compositions are closer to The Zinc Album and U.K. than Ian’s typical writing. My belief is that Ian wrote the general structure of the songs, but, let Eddie stretch them out a bit, delay the conclusions and introduce submotifs throughout. In a way, take them closer to symphonic pieces than typical Tull (though, there was always some of that in all of Tull as well). There was a reason Ian was looking to work with Eddie. Also, there is a certain speedy precision that Eddie is capable of that few others can achieve. There are so many examples, but, listen to Let Me Take You To The Beach by Zappa. No one else could have played that.

sound chaser and ParloFax like this.
  2. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

That's interesting, considering that Tull's drummers from 1982 through into the 1990s were Gerry Conway and Doane Perry, neither of whom sound the slightest bit like Terry Bozzio.

I wish Mark Craney had stayed on with Tull. His work on A was phenomenal.

sound chaser and Grassy Sound like this.
  3. StingRay5

Funny thing about Eddie is that in the Tull family tree in the 20 Years of Jethro Tull box set, he is described with the words, "writes high-tech advertising jingles". I wonder who came up with that.

4. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

As mentioned there are several good audience recordings, I said it because these versions of TaaBrick were extended upto 80 min which is as long as it got.

mike s in nyc and Alan57 like this.
  5. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

Yeah, so that article was published after their experience with Gerry Conway, so Ian was looking for someone different.
    Doane is more technical than Gerry and Bozzio wasn't interested so they settled with Doane I think.
    Quite a lap of luxury for him.

For post 80s JT drummers my favorite is Mark Craney.

6. StingRay5

I think if Mark had played on more Tull albums (especially better regarded ones -- I've always liked A, but apparently a lot of people don't), he would be considered equal to Barrie and Clive. I've never been entirely happy with any later version of the band partly because the drummers have lacked fire. Doane was very capable, and I certainly preferred him to Gerry (who was great for Cat Stevens, but a strange choice for Tull), but there's a propulsive energy to Mark's and Barrie's playing, and a jazziness to Clive's, that Doane didn't have.

7. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

The problem I have with Doane is not so much his playing but the sound of the drums on the albums he played on.

Elmer McMuffin and Kim Olesen like this.
  8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I always have time for those Tull albums and I do appreciate Danger Money of course. UK was great in both iterations.

9. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Doane Perry seemed a perfect fit then. ;)

10. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

11. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Indeed there is an UW tour show online where he and Vetesse is doing a joint solo. Doanne plays fantastic there.

12. John Manning

John Manning #FreeFeelFlows

Preordered.

13. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

where from?

14. Super_Slick

Super_Slick Forum Resident

15. Anno

Anno Forum Resident

Plan9 likes this.
  16. Graham

Graham Senior Member

How much was it?

17. Super_Slick

Super_Slick Forum Resident

£35.99

Graham likes this.
  18. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

Doane Perry hasn´t been recorded by JT at his full capacity (studio). We come close on tracks like Farm on the Freeway and Dangerous veils. But if you listen to the live take of Nothing is easy from Paris 1999 (can be heard on the 25th box set if I remember correctly), you´ll hear what he was able to do. At all concerts I have visited, Doane has been a powerhouse drummer. I also saw Tull with Dave Mattacks in 1992. His more simple style, didn´t sound that good in Thick as a brick. But he did a good job on the more stripped down "A little light music" album.

FVDnz, Keith V and Kim Olesen like this.
  19. maki881

maki881 Forum Resident

20. UlisesLima

UlisesLima Forum Resident

April 16 release date.

21. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I'm going to see what Burning Shed offers. I ordered Heavy Horses from them and got a postcard autographed by Ian.

Ideally I'd buy the set in person at a brick-and-mortar store, but there aren't many left near where I live, and I don't yet feel comfortable going into too many stores. (I haven't had a haircut in almost a year, which has provoked commentary during Zoom calls with relatives.) Someday I'd really like to go back to the Sound Garden in Fells Point (Baltimore) - it's now the closest shop to me that's a real record store rather than a franchise full of t-shirts and Funko Pop dolls and a token rack of current releases and reliable perennials.

22. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

I cannot link the image on jpc.de here.
    Is it possible to post an image from a file?

sound chaser likes this.
  23. cracksky

cracksky Forum Resident

24. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

Wohooo here we go here we go!

tootull and Swordsandchains like this.
  25. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Not much of a fan if they haven't changed the exhaust pipes for flutes.

duneman, stevef, Starwanderer and 4 others like this.