eBay "Fast & Free" shipping

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by riverrat, Feb 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member Thread Starter

When I sell an lp on eBay, I offer free Media Mail postage. I have USPS Media Mail as the only shipping option in my listing.

The listing shows that shipping will be "Fast & Free" and is guaranteed delivery by Feb 22, if a person "Buys It Now" (today) Feb 16th. Essentially eBay is guaranteeing that an item shipped Media Mail will arrive within 4 business days.

Given that a buyer anywhere across the USA (including remote rural areas and busy cities where USPS is still struggling) can buy this lp, I do not see how in the world eBay can guarantee that the lp would arrive in 4 days using Media Mail.

What is up with this? Is there any way to prevent this stipulation from being added to my listings?
    What if the item takes longer to arrive? Who is responsible for making it right?

Seems really funky...

2. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

They've never put that on my listings, which like yours offer "free" Media Mail only. I'd go revise the listing and look at the shipping options to see if something got messed up.

3. I think that message means eBay knows where you are and delivery from your post office to you will be quick. Let me know the listing number and I will see what the message is for me.

AaronW and Defdum&blind like this.
  4. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

An experienced buyer should know what Media Mail means?

I don't see how you can be held to 4 days. I haven't had a problem with it.

5. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member Thread Starter

Ah... I think you are correct sir; this explains it.

6. Baroque

Baroque Forum Resident

I hate the whole "Fast & Free" tag they've put on listings. They started this with me and when I inquired I found that there's some flimsy algorithm they use that incorporates what Chris wrote above but is also based on your past sales. With Covid causing havoc on shipping times I saw they listed some crazy estimates of when my stuff would get to a buyer. It was ridiculous. California (from Massachusetts) in 3 days! I was afraid someone would hold me to that so I went in and edited my listing profile to 4-5 days handling (though that really isn't the case) and it resulted in the tag not being applied.

Plus I associate the tag with a lot of high bulk/bad quality items that you often see listed.

riverrat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.