The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

no worries, I've got Alligator skin. Winter seems to be a magnet for dust in the house when the heat is on. I usually cover all my components and figured why not for the turntable. didn't cost a lot and I'm sure over time it will "unwrinkle".

2. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

You post it, expect replies, even if you don't like them.

3. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Exactly.

4. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Actually, wound up ordering the AT33PTG/II. Spoke with the Technics dealer and they said it would be a better match for the arm, with a thicker mat. I looked at Hana cartridges, may look into more it if the AT does not work out.

punkmusick likes this.
  5. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Do you do the same?
    :)

recstar24 likes this.
  6. Helom

Helom Forum member

It’s a good cartridge but ultimately wasn’t to my taste. I found a loading of about 130 ohms sounded best with the JC3 jr FWIW.

punkmusick and Nephrodoc like this.
  7. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

What did you dislike about it?

8. Helom

Helom Forum member

It was either too bright or too dark. Couldn’t quite achieve the right balance.

punkmusick likes this.
  9. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

congrats! sounds like you are happy with the purchase.
    the hana SL seems like the technics GR of cartridges, i bet the match sounds great.

10. Helom

Helom Forum member

Indeed. The ergonomics and dynamic sound are what make this turntable a treat.

avanti1960 likes this.
  11. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

I can certainly understand the appeal of this cover. Particularly when my kids were younger and were prone to throwing the occasional small toy. And dust can be very abrasive. If Thetmans room is indeed dusty, it’s best to keep excess dust off the cover because once it’s there and the cover is touched it will cause swirl marks. Some of us aren’t particularly precious about such things but others, like myself, like keeping their stuff looking brand new. :)

When my kids were smaller I had Vandersteen 3A Sig speakers which are entirely covered in grill cloth with wooden caps on the top and bottom. I was so worried one of the boys would put a run in one of the speaker cloths that I built ugly covers for them that would stay on until it was time to listen to music. They were hideous to look at but a godsend. this cover looks way way better.

as for the Thetmans comment about OCD. Heck, to the non-audiophile world, anybody who spends what we have spent on these turntables - GR or G(AE) - is sort of OCD :)

Big Blue and thetman like this.
  12. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

This is why I use my Milty Zerostat and then compressed air to blow away most of the solid dust particles from the cover before proceeding with a duster.

13. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

lots of canned air on hand......

14. Oelewapper

A compact air compressor is your friend. Useful for many applications! :righton:

15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Did you try 200 - 400 ohms? I would also suggest if you want warmer balance try the 33EV or jump to the 33SA.

16. Helom

Helom Forum member

I tried just about every loading my preamp allows. Thanks for the suggestion but I’m content to stay with Hana carts for the time being. The response graph in the 33PTG owner’s manual aligns with what I was hearing. I tend to struggle with speakers of a similar response.

17. Helom

Helom Forum member

Any consensus on the KAB arm damper? Worthy upgrade?

18. Davey

Davey NP: CLARAGUILAR ~ Figura (2024)

Presumably you prefer some rolloff in the upper octave? I guess most people do, if being honest. The AT33PTG/II has an almost perfectly flat response out past 20K as shown in the response plot, maybe +/- 1dB, which may tend toward brightness in many systems, though I thought it sounded pretty neutral in my system ... not my favorite cartridge in that range, but hard to fault the response ...

[​IMG]

recstar24 and patient_ot like this.
  19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Only of use with high compliance cartridges according to users.

Helom and Oelewapper like this.
  20. Oelewapper

It also helps tracking on warped records.

Helom and patient_ot like this.
  21. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

I just descovered that my technics 1210GR's 45 adapter doesn't work on my lenco l75 as it's spindle must be just a bit too small for it. Just thought I'd share that! are the technics spindle's a little wider than those of other tt's? I remember my pro-ject adapter working on the lenco. I should be able to just use a generic plastic one on the lenco but still!

22. Oelewapper

Strange, spindle hole diameter should be standardized, since even a millimeter of play could cause audible pitch wavering, similar to off center records.

23. Robert Godridge

It fits nicely and snugly on the technics, it's actually a nicely machined bit of kit! better than the plastic ones in a way, but it does seem a bit strange that it doesn't fit the lenco! Then again I've had 78s with very very tight spindle holes that didn't go easily on the lenco either and do on the technics

24. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

would you mind sharing a little more info on your lenco? I’m not too familiar with the idler drive thing. I’ve got a person literally down the block for me selling his lenco in some crazy maple plinth thing, could be a nice compliment to my GR.

25. Robert Godridge

If you can get a lenco for money you feel comfortable spending then I'd erge you to get one!
    In comparison with the GR, the sound to my ears has more bass, I play all my rock records on the lenco or most of them! It's a rock solid turntable and mine at least has no issues, other than a bit of motor rumble. It's a bit more noisy in operation than the technics. It's probably a good idea to find out what else has been done to it, mine is all stock including the tonearm which isn't bad at all to my ears! but it sounds like the one you've been offered has been modified. I use both the lenco and the gr for different things, and here's a generalisation
    Rock, mono records, 78s when I'm not recording them, vg condition stuff all goes on the lenco.
    Classical (my main interest) stereo lps, mint records, all digitisation work, technics.
    I'm not an expert but can give you opinions all day long and can probably even do a needle drop of the same record with the same stylus on both decks if you find out that it's stock other than the plinth, but the lenco-heaven forum will be your go to place if you go for the lenco and I think you should!

recstar24 likes this.