Wandavision / Marvel MCU on Disney+

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Side note: Just noticed Disney+ has all the Marvel movies in chronological order...gonna make my planned rewatch easier that's for sure!

2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Very helpful.

3. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

So sorry to read about your suffering. Wishing you the best. Thanks for sharing.

4. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

Cool. Does that include all the X-men movies cause it feels like the two universes are starting to entwine...

5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Meanwhile, I've got "Infinity War" & "Endgame" tonight on TNT....
    Pile commercials on that, and it's gonna take about 8 HOURS to watch!

Curveboy and Quadboy like this.
  6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

The X-Movies are separate

planetexpress likes this.
  7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It’s not quite all — the MCU Spider-Man and Hulk movies are not there, as they were produced by other studios.

8. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

So if you don't follow this and the other forthcoming series you may not know fully what goes on when the phase 4 of the films commence?

9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I think Venom is also not part of Disney.

This show is quite strange. I'll continue to watch it just because.

Thesmellofvinyl and BeatleJWOL like this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I think technically, those are not Marvel Cinematic Universe films for streaming purposes. Spiderman is Sony and Hulk is Universal, though Disney/Marvel did get permission to use both characters in their own films (paying the other studios for the privilege). I think the logo at the head says "In Association with Marvel Studios" or words to that effect. I agree the differences are not simple or obvious.

BTW, there's another character owned by Universal that nobody's done anything with: Prince Namor, The Submariner. I dunno what the status is there. There are rumors that Fantastic Four is being worked on right now.

As to Wandavision, I would not be surprised if a major Marvel star makes an appearance before the series ends -- I'm thinking possibly Dr. Strange -- to snap Wanda out of it and bring her back to reality. Hell, I hear Nick Fury is available (and alive in this universe).

wayneklein and planetexpress like this.
  11. Why bother commenting then? Not a fan of the NHL but you don’t see me going to a thread about it and complaining about how it gets other shows bumped.

12. I realize it’s a stretch but (pardon the pun) but someone posted John Krazinski as Mr. Fantastic. I think the Dr. Strange as-etc more likely.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  13. Gary_Stewart

Gary_Stewart 2 Kings 2:23-25

I think the show is downright brilliant. Virtually every line of dialogue has double-or-triple meanings, as does the title of the show; it's Wanda's vision, it's "presented in WandaVision" (think "CinemaScope"), and of course the character names. As someone who loves MCU, I think this is some of the best writing I've seen in any MCU offering. As far as surprise guests, (in addition to the first one...
    Fox's X-verse version of Quicksilver
    ...I think Dr. Strange is the best guess, followed by Patrick Stewart (as Professor X), and a longshot being Reed Richards (played by John Krazinski).

This show CANNOT be understood without having seeing Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame, at minimum. Those movies are an essential prerequisite. Kind of shocked by the lukewarm response in this thread.

It's also a lot like The Truman Show (a favorite), except it's reversed with only one person in the know, and the town full of hostage Trumans. So good. My only gripe is that every episode ends way too soon, and I have to wait a week for the next. I should add that there are no other TV shows I watch. I think the last thing I binged was the first season of Stranger Things. Haven't gotten to the second two yet.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    JPagan, Walt, Uncle Miles and 6 others like this.
  14. Gary_Stewart

Venom is a Sony property, and has not been introduced into MCU canon.

This film is definitely setting up the (as yet untitled) third MCU Spider-Man and Dr. Strange: Multiverse of Madness). It's been said that all three productions (Sam Raimi on Strange, John Watts on Spider-Man sequel) communicated regularly to coordinate. There is no reason not to watch WandaVision; it's brilliant, and definitely worth the subscription price for one month, once it can be binged, even if you watch no other D+ content that entire month.

Namor is back at Marvel, and there were rumors that Namor and Atlantis could be part of a Black Panther 2 (based on easter eggs from other films), but I don't know where that's at now with Boseman's passing. I believe Marvel has said that they do not want to recast T'Challa. Personally, I'd prefer to see the MCU Namor introduced in Fantastic Four, as that is where the character made his Silver Age debut.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    Uncle Miles and BeatleJWOL like this.
  15. Gary_Stewart

Also, anyone else see the similarities between Monica's SWORD uniform and the FF costume/uniform? It seems to imply that the FF will be on a SWORD mission when they are transformed.

BeatleJWOL and wayneklein like this.
  16. That would be my guess as well.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Not all of them.
    [​IMG]
    For those who remember it, the 1990s X-Men animated series is on there too, as well as a couple later animated shows.

[​IMG]

vince likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Stop me if I mentioned this before, but I really cracked up when Quicksilver told the Halloween kids, "c'mon, let's go kick ass!" And of course, the previous Quicksilver actor had been the guy in the movie Kick-Ass, Aaron Taylor-Johnson. And later, another character noted, "hey, they've recast Quicksilver in this show!" Nothing is just coincidental in WandaVision -- they threw that in just to F with us.

I also noticed when <a certain character> starts to die, they disintegrated into particles very much like what happened to half the people in the world when Thanos' "Snap" happened in Avengers: Infinity Wars. So there's some interesting call-backs to previous Marvel movies and shows. I had forgotten that the "SWORD" agent Monica Rambeau had previously been seen in the Captain Marvel movie.

BTW, the fake commercial in the show was very strange and unnerving. You wonder what point they're trying to make...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    superstar19, Shawn, Curveboy and 2 others like this.
  19. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

:agree:It was even slightly more meta than that since Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Evan Peters co-starred in Kick-Ass together.
    [​IMG]
    ...and Evan Peters' role of Todd was recast in Kick-Ass 2! :laugh:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  20. vince

Something Disney DOSEN'T own???....
    :yikes:

21. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Technically it's still a Marvel comic book movie.
    Kick-Ass (film) - Wikipedia

Buuuut, until Disney devours Universal, the film is out of reach.

22. vince

Matthew Vaughn's production company IS called, "MARV"!

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  23. Vidiot

I actually forgot that, so that is even more bizarre. Both interesting actors.

I'm positive some enterprising internet fan will do a shot-by-shot rundown of all the in-jokes and Easter eggs in the show.

24. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

I haven’t seen any of the Avengers films other than the first one, but I think this series is terrific

It’s like Twin Peaks or Philip K Dick but with superheroes

I hope they drag the weirdness out for as long as possible

Vidiot and BeatleJWOL like this.
  25. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Jeff Kent, mikeja75 and Vidiot like this.