When Smokey ( Robinson ) Sings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Feb 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

What a vocalist !

I'm a sucker for ' Tears Of A Clown ' ( one of my favourite songs ) but dig this :
    "I'm only paying the price \ of a trip I took to paradise \ when I looked into a pair of eyes \ what I thought was the look of love \was only hurt in disguise" ( 'I Don't Blame You At All' )

Or :
    " You led me on with untrue kisses \ you held me captive in your false embrace\ Quicker than I could bat an eye \ seems you were telling me goodbye "

Please share your Smokey appreciation.

2. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I'm not too big on the old Motown sound in general, but I love me some latter day Smokey:

Cruisin'
    Being With You
    Just To See Her
    One Heartbeat
    We've Saved The Best For Last

3. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

"More Love" has always been my favorite, especially the way he ad libs on the final chorus.

But I rate Smokey higher as a composer than a singer. Case in point is this very song, which actually charted much higher when Kim Carnes covered it about 13 years later. Considering all the other hit cover songs, Smokey was writing '70s and '80s hits over a decade earlier.

4. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Love this tune but I easily like Kim's version best.

5. dogilv

dogilv Forum Resident

Love all of Smokey... The Composer, The Producer, The Writer, The Band Leader, The Singer, Motown Exec., and just one of the all time cool cats in the music biz.

A Giant and a National Treasure. Is that too over the top? I don't think so.

6. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

My favorite Smokey song - You Really Got A Hold On Me. The simple intro is everything for me. Such a soulful song that I get lost in.

7. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

Smokey has a unique voice that he rightly and deftly treats like a musical instrument.

His singing went through a series of phases during the 60s, but I’d say that by the beginning of the 70s, and much like Marvin Gaye, he’d settled on a more mature and less strident style that was full of light and shade.

If you want to hear him at the height of his powers, then check out the final three tracks of “Warm Thoughts” from 1980, i.e. “What’s In Your Life For Me?”, “I Want To Be Your Love”, and “Travellin’ Thru.” His tone is rich and musical, and his vibrato is well-judged.

Lovely stuff!

8. nojasa

nojasa Forum Resident

What's not to like?

9. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

Greatest ever combination of songwriting and vocal talent

10. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Simply a great singer & composer. I saw him in concert back in 1985 & his vocal abilities were just as strong then as ever.

We need to give special mention to the late, great Marv Tarplin, Smokey's guitarist & frequent collaborator from 1958-2008. The two of them cowrote many classic songs & shared a special musical bond, & that was evident when I saw them live.

11. Wildest cat from montana

' Cruisin' is fantastic.
    Like the story where Motown was promoting ' Get Ready ' as the single from Smokey's new album. A DJ told Smokey that ' Cruisin' was an obvious smash hit and to release it as a single. The DJ was right , ' Cruisin' cruised to #4 on the Billboard chart, his biggest hit in ten years.

GMfan87', CliffL and mbrownp1 like this.
  12. Wildest cat from montana

Celebrating his 81st birthday tomorrow.
    Happy birthday, Smokey!

13. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

One of the best voices ever. Hearing him sing is so comforting.
    No slouch as a songwriter either.

14. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

This is one of my favorite Smokey tunes right here. His voice sounds downright angelic, and I love the instrumentation and arrangement.

"I'll Try Something New"

15. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

And one more stone-cold classic: "The Agony And The Ecstasy"

16. "Going To A Go-Go" Live at the Carter Barron Ampitheater, Washington DC, 1972

Smokey announces it as his last gig with the Miracles. Before and after, they rock out. Got to love that bass line.

17. Timos

Timos Forum resident

Ooh Baby Baby - that song is amazing.

My 8-year old son loves Mickey’s Monkey. So do I.

You Really Got A Hold On Me - The Beatles’ version doesn’t touch the original.

And Tracks Of My Tears - that guitar intro, in particular where one of the strings is fluffed, melts my heart. Then the drums kick in, The Miracles light the hob, and Jamerson swoops down. It’s then that my head falls off.

18. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

19. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

What’s So Good About Good-Bye is absolute perfection IMHO:

NickySee, CliffL and Maseman66 like this.
  20. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

21. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

At last a Smokey thread! Thanks, Wildest Cat. Smokey Robinson is a brilliant singer, writer, arranger, and producer (did I leave anything out?)
    Way back in 1979 I first heard his song "I'll Try Something New" on a syndicated Wolfman Jack show that I used to listen to...it totally blew me away. Like many other people my first Miracles record was "Tears Of A Clown" in 1970.

22. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

A great example of Smokey's writing and production is the Temptations' "Since I Lost My Baby"...arguably their best records were the ones with Smokey producing.

23. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Smokey Rules. One of my faves -

Tell Me Tomorrow

24. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

I was just listening to the 35thAnniversary Collection yesterday; a great 4-CD set. Smokey's a living legend with a voice like pure honey. Hard to pick a favorite Miracles single as there are just too many great ones to choose from. I actually saw Smokey & The Miracles at the Brooklyn Fox Theater in 1965. They were part of a Murray The K show.

25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Love 60s Smokey. I've got loads of the Motown stuff on CD plus Make It Happen and Four In Blue on vinyl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.