MeTV launching classic cartoon blocks

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BradOlson, Oct 31, 2020.

1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

It's true but many do like watching them on TV

2. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

This reminds me of the king of cartoons.
    Tcm shows b/w Popeye's.
    The ones with the old intro , doors on the boat close and open with title and credits.
    I like these a lot better then the later color ones.

MarkTheShark likes this.
  3. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Did anyone catch the morning show today? I didn't get a chance to see it, but I was wondering if they were showing other cartoons types of cartoons than what they'll be showing on Saturday mornings.

4. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

That's right! I'd totally forgotten about Tom. Wore a cap if I recall correctly.
    Talk about firing a long unused synapse.

hi_watt likes this.
  5. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

nope nothing outside what you would expect after seeing the three blocks on Saturday. and the studio breaks with the guy and the puppet are awful.

hi_watt and ArpMoog like this.
  6. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I'm watching today's block with my six-year-old daughter. She's never really seen these before. Kids her age have a world of choices on Netflix and Disney+. She's entertained and says she wants to keep watching. I'm explaining some of the jokes and set-ups, giving context and reading the gag signs. It's fun, but gotta admit the gun violence that never used to bother me makes me squirm.

BTW she feels really bad for Wile E Coyote. "Why is it so sad." :laugh:

dan c

Shoes1916 and ArpMoog like this.
  7. BradOlson

I did catch a Betty Boop cartoon this morning and some B&W Popeye's

8. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

The minute I saw this here I was running for the dvr . I've been on repeat " I haven't seen this in years " as well as hitting forward on the later tunes.
    Enjoying this very much I say.
    The early Sylvester's and Daffy's where they aren't wimps are so superior.
    Tom as well. I was never OK with how they ruined those characters even as a kid.

hi_watt likes this.
  9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Glad to see this stuff getting out there, to help warp them young minds properly. Early WB cartoons helped keep this growing mind maturing until I became old enough to have MAD Magazine in our lives. Ahhh, the childish anarchy of slapstick!

I'm hoping none of these are the later, "edited-for-parents-watchdog-group" versions...

hi_watt likes this.
  10. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Host used as excuse to clog airtime with ads.

hi_watt likes this.
  11. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I don't understand why they are wasting so much time with that guy. Guess it would cost them more to run one more cartoon than pay the costs involved in producing those unfunny segments with the host? Surely no one at the management level of the network thinks what he offers is more entertaining than the cartoons they are showing.

Planbee likes this.
  12. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I have watched a few different blocks on different days. I have seen lots of Bugs over the years, so I knew I still enjoyed him. What I hadn't seen much of is Road Runner. I was literally laughing out loud yesterday during a RR cartoon.

hi_watt likes this.
  13. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Part of the fun for adults watching the Fleischer b&w 'toons is listening to the voice actors adlibbing some extra material,often sounding like it was under the breath. This idea would have been wonderful in any early Harman-Ising Bosko.

14. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

No ads,no 'toons. Not unlike USA's Talk Stoop shills.

15. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

A factor when it comes to which type of character Daffy Duck is depends on who directs him. Other characters eventually settled into a specific type of character regardless who is directing him/her, but that is not the case with Daffy.

With Tex Avery and Robert Clampett, Daffy is a completely crazy character who has no limits (BTW an early version of Bugs Bunny was this type of character), with Clampett's Daffy being even more crazy.

With Chuck Jones, Daffy is the scheming coward who usually ends up working against himself in the end.

With Robert McKimson, Daffy is the domesticated hen-picked duck.

The reason ad libbing was possible with the Popeye cartoons is because they were post dubbed, with the dialog recorded after the footage was animated (much like anime dubbing today). Due to this, the voice actors were able to ad lib their dialog. I've noticed that with the Fleischer Brothers Popeye cartoons there is little lip syncing involved (where the words spoken match the lip movements). Once the Popeye cartoons started to be pre dubbed (I think the occurred when The Fleischer Studios became The Famous Studios) the ad libs disappeared.

Two anime that did this were:
    1. Trouble Chocolate. The dubbing team took the original script, tossed it, and a comedy writing team wrote a new script with some wild humor thrown in.
    2. Samurai Pizza Cats: The original anime was somewhat serious, but the Dubbing Team made it a comedy (doing things like making the villain sound like Paul Lynde).

Dan C, hi_watt and ArpMoog like this.
  16. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

[​IMG]

Any sign of I Love To Singa?

hi_watt and kouzie like this.
  17. BradOlson

18. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I can't stand those 1940s-50s Popeye toons where he has the white sailor uniform and they give olive oil a period hairstyle. The plots were always the same: Olive meets Brutus (Bluto) in some incarnation, olive becomes infatuated with him, Popeye gets jealous, Bluto beats up Popeye a few times, Olive is suddenly afraid of Brutus, Popeye eats his spinach and beats him up. That's it.

19. Scooterpiety

I like the idea of a host for the cartoons like they used to have in the old days, but if they're going to continue with that, they seriously need to revamp the host segments. This guy has zero charisma, his "acting" is terrible, the rip-off muppets are embarrassing, and I wrote funnier material for pep assemblies when I was in junior high school.

20. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

It sounds like those are the King Features Syndicate Popeye cartoons (*they were released in the early 1960s and were made for TV). They were quickly made (*they made 220 cartoons, compared to 231 by Fleischer Brothers and Famous Studios together). I actively avoided them because of how cookie cutter they were compared to the previous Popeye cartoons. The earlier Popeye cartoons had an edge (*in "Happy Birthdaze" it appears that Popeye actually kills his friend Shorty off screen).

*Checked in Wikipedia.

ArpMoog likes this.
  21. Scooterpiety

No, these were definitely Paramount/Famous Studios cartoons. I remember those terrible King Features Popeye cartoons, I used to watch them too, along with Beetle Bailey, Snuffy Smith and Krazy Kat.

Shoes1916 and Dan C like this.
  22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

When I was a kid in 1970, my brother-in-law, who was in his 20s, used to get up with me at six every Saturday morning just to watch the Pink Panther cartoon.

Scooterpiety and Suncola like this.
  23. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

I remember Tom Hatten and the Popeye show. In southern California also when I was a kid was the Engineer Bill show with cartoons. I used to get my glass of milk and play along with him and his kid guest in his "red light -- green light" game, in which you drank as much milk when it was "green light" as you could before "red light" was announced. Those who drank only on the green light got the "real bell" rung for them, but those who got caught drinking when the red light was announced (usually along with Engineer Bill himself) got the "lead bell"... *clunk*.

[​IMG]

Also in the afternoons was the "Skipper Frank" show with yes, more cartoons!

[​IMG]

24. rudybeet

rudybeet Forum Resident

I'm not following who MeTV thinks is the target audience for this show. If it's adults, no one wants to see the painful host segments- we just want to see the cartoons we grew up with and haven't seen in years. I can see the hosts being a thing if kids are the target audience, but are today's kids reallly interested in 70-year old cartoons? I just fast forward through the hosts and honestly I only have interest in the Warner Bros. stuff. Bring on more Foghorn, I say, Foghorn Leghorn, boy!

Scooterpiety likes this.
  25. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I haven't seen the hosted segments but they sound lousy. Just watching the weekend cartoon blocks you can get a sense of what demographic MeTV is aiming for by the ads. I don't think my 6-year-old is interested in life insurance, Life Alert bracelets and pharmaceuticals for heartburn or incontinence. :shrug:

dan c

lv70smusic likes this.