Things you miss from old tv shows that you don’t see anymore?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gill-man, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

That is something I miss: The Summer Replacement Shows. After running the first rerun of each series, in the Summer the networks would run replacement shows to see if one or more gained an audience. Often, it was the only opportunity to see the series. One of the best known summer replacement series is Three's Company, which ran for six episodes in one Summer and was popular enough to become a regular series.

2. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I miss them too, there were several summer replacement shows back in the '70s. I liked. Most never made it back in the fall but a few did. Szysznyk with Ned Beatty, comes to mind.
    Something I found interesting, according to Tony Randall, the original Odd Couple series was never in the top 30 during the five years it was on and the only reason ABC kept it around was the summer repeats drew more viewers than they did during the regular season.

fr in sc likes this.
  3. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Around that time many series remained on the air that, with the same low ratings, would not last on the air today. One I've mentioned before is Cheers which was literally the bottom-rated show when it debuted, and the only reason it wasn't cancelled is that NBC had nothing else to put on. Similarly, All In The Family and M*A*S*H were both low-rated shows that some how lasted.

Scooterpiety likes this.
  4. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

You miss that? Oh well, it will be back . . . but not cigarettes.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

For that matter I haven't understood what a tv season is in years. There used to be a Fall season, a Spring season, then as you say there were summer replacements.

Ms. Daisy and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

still mainly what there is

7. shark shaped fin

shark shaped fin Forum Resident

This is a very specific thing, but one thing I miss (and these are shows I only caught in syndication, usually) are sitcoms with these gritty credit sequences (think Taxi, Barney Miller, Welcome Back Kotter...actually a lot of NYC-set sitcoms!) depicting a sort of wearying working-class life, and the show was kind of this respite from the reality of what was going on out there. The depiction of the working class in sitcoms, being at work, fell by the wayside in favor of weirdly self-sufficient and extremely good-looking people just hanging around at home. I mean you could even throw in something like WKRP or Night Court, probably. Though those shows had less of the bleakness implicit in the opening credits. They were more cheerful.

All Down The Line and Bowie Fett like this.
  8. misterjones

One of my favorites was Coronet Blue (the original Jason Bourne). Too bad it didn't get picked up for at least one more season.

I also liked those cheesy summer variety shows. Who the devil is Des O'Connor anyway? Oh well, I guess it doesn't really matter.

9. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Structure. I miss shows, especially comedies, with tight story structure. As a child, I learned a lot from The Wonder Years, All in the Family, The Jeffersons, Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley...

Ms. Daisy likes this.
  10. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

In the old TV shows you used to see people/families sitting down eating.
    The only eating you see these days is drinking in a bar/restaurant and maybe ordering food.

The exception... Seinfeld and George at Monk's Cafe.

pocofan and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Just watch Blue Bloods. Every episode has at least one Sunday dinner scene with the family at the dining room table. And why is Danny Regan always shown eating green beans? :laugh:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

...and for some old English shows -
    Till Death Do Us Part.
    Billy Liar.
    The Rag Trade.
    On The Buses.
    Love Thy Neighbour.

13. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

I miss the political incorrectness of ALL IN THE FAMILY, LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR and TILL DEATH US DO PART.

PLEASE SIR was an old Brit sitcom I used to enjoy! Remember Derrick Guyler?

Jazzmonkie, carlwm and SandAndGlass like this.
  14. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I've only seen the Til Death Us Do Part and Love Thy Neighbour spin-off films. The shows never seem to be repeated on TV in the UK anymore. Imagine the outcry if a station had the balls to re-run them. Guardian readers would be frothing at the mouth.

carlwm likes this.
  15. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

the deadpan parade of insults on the Joey Bishop show

16. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

I am not a smoker. Just when I watch old tv shows that really pops out.

17. misterjones

But I don't miss it. I used to not give it a second thought. I now find it somewhat distracting. How times have changed! It might have started right around the time Baretta aired. That was one of my favorite shows as a kid. In the early episodes, Baretta smoked. Later, he just had an unlit cigarette dangling from his mouth. He'd tell kids who wanted to smoke, "smoke'em like I do" (i.e., unlit). It reached ridiculous heights with the idea of editing out smoking from old films (lord knows how that could be legitimately accomplished). It's one thing to do that with a still picture. Quite another to do it with motion pictures.

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I was greatly surprised to see re-runs here last year of Love Thy Neighbour.
    Hugely popular in its day IIRC but it has not aged well.

19. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

I was more of a "and the rest" man. Who has time for that song every week? :D

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  20. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

Does that apply to HBO series and all those venues that aren't ABC, CBS, and NBC, which I never watch?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

In the spring, actually. That was a thing for a while, six episode try-outs in March and April. Police Squad was one that never made it past that. Most didn't. Kate & Allie was another one that made it long term.

22. Solaresque

Solaresque Forum Resident

California architecture.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

no idea at all. i just know what the big networks you named do

24. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

A TV season used to generally be mid September thru about mid May, and then the shows would go into repeats until the new season started. Of course some shows were cancelled early on, to be replaced with mid season replacements. And, as you mentioned, there were also Summer replacement programs.

I myself have never heard of the terms Fall season and a Spring season, just the new Fall schedule, which as I mentioned, if things went well for the show would run to late Spring/early Summer. If a show was cancelled early, it'd be replaced with a "mid season replacement".

It's TV nowadays that's messed up: I mean a season for a show used to (generally) be 39 episodes in the early days of TV, whittled down over time to about (generally) 24 episodes, give or take. Now a "season" can be as little as 13 episodes. I get a season being of shorter duration if it's something aired on HBO or whatever, or even network shows like "Idol" or other "talent shows", but network TV has picked up the trend with their regular series and it's annoying. I guess it's because I still think of a TV season being as I described it above-Starting in the Fall, going thru the Spring, and starting again in Fall.

For *me* personally, it's annoying when they'll say "show X is in its 14th season", when it might have only been on the air with regularity for 4 or 5 years-To me, a show that's been on for 14 seasons really should have been on, for example, from 2007-2021.

25. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

If we're talking about the same Des O'Connor, he was a British comedian/TV host. His biggest claim to fame among fans of vintage rock and roll music is that he was the MC during Buddy Holly and The Crickets' 1958 British tour. At the end of the tour, Buddy Holly gave him a guitar, which, IIRC, Des owned until his death.