What stereo gear are you planning to purchase in 2021?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

Probably more like 2022, but thinking:

Salk Song3
    Anthem STR Integrated Amplifier or preamp and
    Benchmark AHB2 (with a second one to follow)

Rick58, mreeter and james like this.
  2. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Allow me to elaborate :)

[​IMG]

/I have no idea what I'm doing
    //Triple checks homeowners policy

Ok, in all seriousness - thing on the left is a power supply. Think of it like a battery charger that when switched off, charges up. When switched on, it powers low voltage gear like Raspberry Pis and the stuff on the right.

The stuff on the right... it takes the digital bits and it reclocks them and conditions them and talks real nicely to them and pets their hair and then finally sends them onto the DAC over an HDMI cable, free from USB (which is way better than it ever used to be IME) where it becomes analog sound again.

Cliff's notes: I hope my 1's and 0's sound real good.

:D

3. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

That looks like a nice set up to put together.

Rick58 likes this.
  4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

OK now I understand, do you read Tom's hardware and build your own desktops? We have a store that sells that stuff (Fry's Electronics). Cool hobby.

Rick58 and toddrhodes like this.
  5. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I do read Tom's occasionally - I try to stay away from those sites because they just make me want new hardware. And right now is a *terrible* time to build a PC. I recently re-built our primary "whole house PC" and then put together another PC out of spare parts to do only HQ Player upsampling.

It is a fun hobby but especially right now, it's expensive as heck.

6. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Decent casual Bluetooth headphones.

7. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

Probably a microRendu to replace an ailing, bought used, Mac mini for my secondary Roon system.

Rick58 likes this.
  8. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Still nothing. Happy with the four systems I have.

Rick58 and MikeJedi like this.
  9. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Lots of pretty lights :)

Looks like it's sporting your Hana SL, probably sounds pretty nice.

Rick58, Claude M and MikeJedi like this.
  10. gmcjj

gmcjj Forum Resident

I've been on a tube binge recently getting some 5751's and 6x4's. Found a nice Raytheon 5751 2 mica windmill getter and 2 Raytheon 5814a windmill getters for a great price.

Rick58 likes this.
  11. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

I'll be getting new stylii (is that plural for stylus?) for some gear from the mid-80's.

12. Helom

Helom Forum member

It does indeed.

Rick58 likes this.
  13. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

Just ordered a pair of REL S/510s through my local dealer (gave me a decent price).
    Should be here in a couple of weeks.
    I'm terrible having to wait.
    It's going to be long couple of weeks (first world problems, I know. Especially with everything happening right now. It's terrible.)

Already picked up my Anthem MRX-510 10 days ago.
    I'm most certainly done for this year.
    I was eying the new McIntosh MHA200 for headphone use but it will have to wait till 2022.

14. MPSchenck

MPSchenck Well-Known Member

Upgrading my home office (room is 11'2" x 9'10" w/ 8' ceiling) desk set up this year. After throwing some gear together in Feb/March last year. I'm 110% working from home forever now.
    So far this year...
    Major increase in desk size from 60"x 30" to a 74" x 39"
    Swapped cheap LG 43" 4K "monitor" for Sammy 50" 4K QLED mounted on VESA mount pedestal stand and bias backlighting.
    Added room treatment panels and bass traps from Acoustimac
    Will be ordering an M1 Mac Mini 16gb

On the audio front...
    Definitely replacing Kef Q100s with Omega CAMs and having custom desk stands fab'd
    Maybe replacing Bluesound Powernode 2i with Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 (still on the fence)
    and if I get the Lyngdorf I'm going to replace the single SVS SB-12 NSD with dual REL T/5i subs
    I will probably build some Canare 4S11 speaker cables with bare copper spades on one end and bare copper bananas on the other.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    Rick58 likes this.
  15. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

was not planning on buying speakers but pulled the trigger on Forte IV..... I went to buy a soundbar for my daughter and one thing led to another.....

Rick58, Clonesteak, Ulises and 2 others like this.
  16. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Oops!

Rick58 likes this.
  17. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

going to be due for a new cartridge for the record player this year, I think. pretty sure the hours are getting up there on my current one.
    other than that . . . .probably not much! I'm pretty happy with my setup currently- there's some long term upgrades I have in mind but I don't think I'll be doing them this year yet- spent too much money recently on displays (2 OLED's) and musical instruments (strat and a rickenbacker bass)! :D

Rick58 and talkingh like this.
  18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Wasn't necessarily planning, but one of these just fell into my lap. Ouch!

[​IMG]

Madness, Rick58, Ulises and 8 others like this.
  19. StephMess78

StephMess78 Forum Resident

Hi!

I never had a brand new out-of-the-box turntable...I'm looking at the Project Debut Carbon Evo I like the reviews (I have a used Panasonic SL-H402 for more than 10 years that I like a lot, but too much floof noise at a loud volume)...hope that I'll hear a difference!

All the best!!
    Stephane

Hazelmullins and SirMarc like this.
  20. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
    Today’s the day, my friend. I picked up my CMIII this afternoon. I hooked it up, turned it on, and gave it about an hour to warm up. Just got done listening to the first record. John Prine - Tree of Forgiveness. Listening to Blaze Foley - Live at the Austin Outhouse now. Everything just sounds “right.” It was worth every minute of the wait, and I know it’s only going to get better from here. Hope yours comes before the weekend!

Rick58, Ulises, No Static and 4 others like this.
  21. james

james Summon The Queen

Had you been thinking about them already or did a random demo sell you on them?

Rick58 likes this.
  22. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

I think I’ve been waiting for this post as much as you have been waiting for your amp! So glad you are digging it already. They told me last week that mine was scheduled to be built “late next week.” So hopefully that means built today or tomorrow and delivered next week on Wed or Thurs.

Sounds like they shipped to your retailer and you picked up? I was kind of hoping they shipped directly to the customer as I have to figure out how to get mine home from Union Square in Manhattan. Might just take a Lyft there and back as our car is still buried under snow and now more snow and there’s never parking in front of our place.

Seeing this post made my night! Thank you for the update.

Rick58 and Harris11235 like this.
  23. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

Yep, it shipped to my retailer. Given your situation, I suggest you contact your retailer and Rogue tomorrow and arrange for it to be shipped to your home. It’s a big, heavy box. Probably 60 pounds or so. Just carrying it out of the store to my vehicle and inside from my driveway was nerve wracking. Heavy boxes and icy sidewalks are not a good match.

Make sure to let me know what you think when you get it!

24. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Depending on funds, I’d like to get a new amp (preferably tubes) and speakers. I got some good suggestions for the latter on here but the pandemic put me in austerity mode and I held off on buying anything. Hopefully this is the year.

Of course...my wife also wants hardwood floors in the family room...

Rick58 likes this.
  25. dwm67

dwm67 Forum Resident

Unplanned purchase of a pristine Sony TCD-D8 DAT Walkman just over a week ago ... thrilled with it :)

Possibly a surround processor in the fall ... really unsure whether to go with an older model or something newer ... the Bryston SP3 is at the top of my list at this point.